Author Topic: Hornsby  (Read 5686 times)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hornsby
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 16:41 BST (UK) »
Had an hour to spare in Worcester today so I popped into the Hive and checked a few of the Hornsby parish records in case there was any more info

At the time of their marriage in 1821 Charlotte and Thomas were both of the parish, Thomas signed with a mark, Charlotte wrote her name and one of the witnesses was a James Shepherd

Charlotte's burial was at St PeterS Worcester in 1844 with the address listed as Spa Row which is also mentioned on the 1841 census record

In 1828 at a probable baptism of daughter Jane at AllSaints Worcester, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JW7Z-8SZ ,  the family were living at Quay St, Worcester and Thomas is listed as a Hostler (a stranger from Bristol)   The last comment in clearly written in brackets after Hostler!!  Loved the last bit.  I wonder if it was his accent?  There is a burial for Jane age 4 in 5 May 1833 at St Andrew, Worcester.

Maybe unrelated but there was a burial of a Thomas Hornsby in 10 July 1866 at St Andrews Droitwich.   He was listed as 81 and living in the Droitwich Workhouse when he died, but I did wonder if his age had been misheard.

Kay

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to help.
I did find another burial for a Thomas Hornsby, but as I`m not sure of the area I don`t know if it might be him . These are my notes.

1851 is the only record that matches the details for Thomas`s father being an ostler.
Ombersley is in the Hundred of Oswaldslow, which again ties in with Charlotte`s burial  ???
Is that correct ?
1851 HO107; Piece: 2046; Folio: 249; Page: 15
Aston , Ombersley , Worcestershire
Sarah May wid  67 late higler ( dealer) Worcester, Lindridge
Ellen May dau unm 23 servant b Worsc. Ombersley
Sarah Ellen May g dau   1 b Worcs. Whittey
Thomas Hornsby lodger widower  65 ostler b Bedford Warwickshire

Deaths Sep qtr 1851 HORNSBY Thomas   Aston Worcestershire .I  have no record of an age , and not sure of the districts.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 21:09 BST (UK) »
Charlotte was buried in the parish of St Peter the Great on the south side of Worcester and in 1851 the Thomas you found was living north of Worcester in the village of Ombersley about 4 miles north of Worcester and 4 miles west of Droitwich.   The family obviously moved round with his job. 

The age in 1851 is rather out, but if the same person he wasn't literate and his age was probably given by the person he lodged with.  I did wonder whether Bedford in Warwickshire could be Bidford on Avon in Warwickshire very near the Worcestershire boundary.

The death of Thomas Hornsby in 1851 is actually in Aston near Birmingham in Warwickshire, so is a fair way from Ombersley where he was living 6 months before in Worcestershire.  Without the age it is difficult to judge and I can't see a Thomas in 1861 that would relate to the 1866 burial

It's not easy is it  ;D

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 21:36 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry that lists the death of Thomas Hornsby in 1851 in Aston as age 44 and buried  on 17 Sept 1851 at St Peter and St Paul, Aston, Warwickshire.  He is listed as born about 1805 at   Long Compton, Warwickshire

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hmm, this is quite a challenge.
I think it`s not going to be easy to find the right path.
Thanks again for your help.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 August 14 14:04 BST (UK) »
I found baptisms for children of a Thomas and Charlotte on Family search and Free Reg.
 marriage in 1821 Charlotte Shepherd and Thomas Hornsby .
First child born to parents with this name is Henry John in 1822.
The thing that`s bothering me is that there is a Jane bapt twice within a few days at
 All Saints in Nov 1828 and a Jane Laughton Hornsby bapt 28 Dec 1828 at Pershore  Church St Andrew

There seems only to be Thomas ( 1831) , John(1825)  and Elizabeth (Anne 1835) in this census.
1841 St Peter  Blockhouse, Worcester.
Thomas    Harrisby    Male    40 Worcestershire   
Charlotte    Harrisby    Female    40    Worcestershire   
John    Harrisby    15        Worcestershire   
Thomas    Harrisby     10    Worcestershire   
Elizabeth    Harrisby     6    Worcestershire   
 HO107 Piece 1209 Book 4 Folio 29 Page   11

Do you think these are a separate couple with the same names, or just that they moved and had more children.

Family Search
Jane Hornsby  Christening  Date:   23 Nov 1828:   All Saints, Worcester,   
Father's Name:   Thomas Hornsby
Mother's Name:   Charlotte

Jane Hornsby Christening Date:  19 Nov 1828 ALL SAINTS,WORCESTER,

Thomas Hornsby  Christening  Date:   17 Jan 1831   ST ANDREW,WORCESTER,

Elizabeth Anne Hornbey  Christening Date:   20 Feb 1835 Bedwardine-St Michael, Worcester,
Father's Name:   Thomas Hornbey
Mother's Name:   Charlotte Hornbey

Elizabeth Anne Hornsbey
Christening Date:   28 Feb 1835   SAINT MICHAEL BEDWARDINE,WORCESTER,   
Father's Name:   Thomas Hornsbey   

Free Reg
Worcestershire Pershore  Church St Andrew
Henry John Hornsby  Baptism Date 29 Jun 1822
Thos. Hornsby
Charlotte
Abode High Street Father Occupation Horse Keeper

John Hornsby ( as above)
Baptism Date 07 Mar 1825

Maryanne (  as above)
Baptism Date 09 Nov 1826

Jane Loughton Hornsby ( as above)
Baptism Date 26 Dec 1828

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 August 14 14:28 BST (UK) »
How strange.  I can't think there would be two couples with the same names and the same children. 

I may pop back to Worcester next week and will have another look at the Hive to see if there is an error or they did go in for serial baptisms. 

Kay

Edit - Is there anything else I can check? Looking at the bapts Jane is the only one of the children that was baptised in both Worcester and Pershore.  Maybe the family had just moved to Worcester at the time and had a further baptism in their home parish.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 August 14 22:24 BST (UK) »
I can`t think of anything else to look for, it`s getting quite complicated already. Many thanks for the help.

Thomas born 1831 ish married in 1858 in Llangollen, , I have the marriage certificate .
Unfortunately the 1861 census for Llangollen, Denbighshire  is missing, and in 1871 his wife and youngest daughter are not at home with him and the rest of the family, so I have no idea where she was born  ::)
She is not to found anywhere in later years either. Quite a mystery.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 18:14 BST (UK) »
Went into the Hive today and checked the baptisms.

Jane Hornsby's baptism on 19 Nov 1828 at All Saint's Worcester is correct, but the duplicate on 23 Nov in the same church doesn't exist and must be an error on Family Search.  Jane's baptism at Pershore  on 26 Dec 1826 lists her middle name as nearer Lawton but the writing is to indistinct to be sure.

Elizabeth Anne's baptism on 20 Feb 1835 is correct, but the duplicate on 28 Feb 1835 is not on the parish records.  So the only double baptism is Jane in 1828 and as the Pershore baptism is on Boxing Day they may have gone back to visit friends/relatives at Christmas.

Kay