Author Topic: Looking for information on the MOORE and WRIGHT family lines  (Read 7544 times)

Offline RachH13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for information on the MOORE and WRIGHT family lines
« on: Tuesday 05 August 14 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to find out more about my family tree.  Currently searching two lines. 

Firstly, the MOORE family - from the Hinckley/Burbage area.   I'm looking for any information about Samuel Moore (born around 1871) and married to Mary Ann Elizabeth (previously Bugby).  They had a son Leslie (My grandfather).  Samuel's parents were John (b around 1850) and Emma (b around 1849).  Any information on Samuel or John would be gratefully received, so I can go further back on my tree.

The other line is the Wright family - Abraham Wright (born around 1845 in Loughborough) was married to Louisa Shelton (born around 1859).   His daughter Hilda Louisa was my great grandmother.   She had a number of siblings including George, Christiana, Alice and Beatrice.

I think there were two Abraham Wrights living in the area (I have found 2 on various census records), and I think that my relatives may be getting mixed up between the two, as I have been told conflicting stories!  My Abraham had parents called Thomas Wright (b St Margarets around 1821) and Sarah (b St Margarets around 1822).  I have been told that he used to take in children whose parents couldn't look after them, and was known for having a houseful of children.  I was also told he lived in a haunted house - the rent was cheap, which was the only reason he could afford the house!

If anyone recognises any of those names, I'd love to hear from them.

Thanks in advance  :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on the MOORE and WRIGHT family lines
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 11:05 BST (UK) »
Re the Moores;
You may need to get some Certificates to go back with this Family.

I presume this is the Family in 1881 you have for Samuel;
John Moore    34
Emma Moore    35
Samuel Moore    10
William Moore    8
Frederick Moore    2
Ada Moore

FreeBMD has several Marriage Reg 1865-1871 in Leics for a John Moore, with a possible Spouse Emma.

Do you have Samuels Marriage and Birth Cert?

Trish :)

EDIT;
1881 JOHN Moore is born c 1847 Hinckley
1891 c 1850 Hinckley
1901 c 1850 Hinckley
1911 c 1849 Hinckley
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 11:35 BST (UK) »
1871 they are lodging with the Haddons;
William Haddon,   25
Mary Haddon, 25
John Moore, 22, Shoemaker
Emma Moore, 24, Stockingmaker
Samuel Moore, 3 (should be 3mths)

Birth Reg;
SAMUEL Moore, March 1871, Hinckley, 7a 52

I think you need his Birth Cert to confirm Emmas maiden name and then the M/C would give you Johns Father.

This is just a possible.
There is also a Marriage Reg, March 1871, Hinckley, 7a 69
John MOORE and Emma PAYNE on same page
Others on page are Jane MAW and James BATES.

Very strange as in 1881 James Bates is born c 1838 Wo;vey,Warwickshire.
He IS married 2 a Jane.
But there is a Clara MOORE, Stepdaughter age 16 with them;
James Bates    43
Jane Bates    43
Clara Moore    16
William Bates    8
Frederick Bates    6
Ellen Bates    4
Arthur Bates    1

1871 we have as Lodgers with the Beasleys;
John Beasley, 70
Susanna Beasley, 68
James Bates, 28
Jane Bates, 31
John Maw, 14
Mary Maw, 17
Clara Maw,   7

Very strange a I cant find Jane or John/Mary Maw before this.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline RachH13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 12:35 BST (UK) »
1871 they are lodging with the Haddons;
William Haddon,   25
Mary Haddon, 25
John Moore, 22, Shoemaker
Emma Moore, 24, Stockingmaker
Samuel Moore, 3 (should be 3mths)

Birth Reg;
SAMUEL Moore, March 1871, Hinckley, 7a 52

I think you need his Birth Cert to confirm Emmas maiden name and then the M/C would give you Johns Father.

This is just a possible.
There is also a Marriage Reg, March 1871, Hinckley, 7a 69
John MOORE and Emma PAYNE on same page
Others on page are Jane MAW and James BATES.

Very strange as in 1881 James Bates is born c 1838 Wo;vey,Warwickshire.
He IS married 2 a Jane.
But there is a Clara MOORE, Stepdaughter age 16 with them;
James Bates    43
Jane Bates    43
Clara Moore    16
William Bates    8
Frederick Bates    6
Ellen Bates    4
Arthur Bates    1

1871 we have as Lodgers with the Beasleys;
John Beasley, 70
Susanna Beasley, 68
James Bates, 28
Jane Bates, 31
John Maw, 14
Mary Maw, 17
Clara Maw,   7

Very strange a I cant find Jane or John/Mary Maw before this.

Hi Trish,

Thanks very much for all of this information, I'll get checking it now.   

They are proving to be a difficult family to trace as I have so little info about them from my family, and the little bits I do have from relatives doesn't match.  My father is the youngest in the family and there was quite an age gap between him and his elder siblings, so he doesn't really know anything!    Sadly, the one relative who would know, and had all the family photos has passed away, so I'm having to start from scratch.

You've been really helpful in pointing out the way to go though  :)

ETA I've found Samuel Moore back with the family on the 1901 census when he was 30 years old.  His siblings Frederick (23) and Ada (20) are also on there, along with John (15). 

What is odd is that there is also an Arthur Moore listed, aged 2 months.  He is down as the son of John and Emma, however they are both in their 50's at this point!   So, I'm guessing he is the illegitimate son of one of the family.

I've narrowed down Samuel's marriage to Mary Ann Elizabeth Bugby (she was widowed, previous married to a Thomas Bugby) to July - Sept 1906.  So, I'm guessing I now need their marriage certificate.  Do you know the cheapest way of obtaining one? 

Thanks again,

Rachael

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 13:55 BST (UK) »
Was Louisa Abraham's second wife? He seems to have had a multitude of children with a previous wife called Hannah (from the censuses).

Do you have any details of his marriage to Louisa? We're not allowed to quote the 1911 census but info on there would suggest that Hilda Louisa was born some considerable time before the stated date of Abraham and Louisa's wedding.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 14:18 BST (UK) »
Order certificates through this link:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

You will need details of the registration which you can get on here

http://freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

(but I suspect you've already checked out that latter website. In this case you'll want this info: Year and quarter - Sep 1906. Nameb -   Bugby   Mary Ann E; Moore, Samuel.   District name    - Hinckley     Volume number - 7a     Page number - 120)

Don't ever order certificates from commercial websites, they will cost at least twice as much!
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline RachH13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 14:40 BST (UK) »
Was Louisa Abraham's second wife? He seems to have had a multitude of children with a previous wife called Hannah (from the censuses).

Do you have any details of his marriage to Louisa? We're not allowed to quote the 1911 census but info on there would suggest that Hilda Louisa was born some considerable time before the stated date of Abraham and Louisa's wedding.

Hi, thanks very much for your reply.     I had been told that Abraham had been married previously, and that he had lots of children - which he hadn't told Louisa before they married!  However, I don't know if that is just rumour or embellishment along the years.   

I had found the census details for Abraham and saw there was a Hannah and other children, but wasn't sure if it was the same Abraham (I can't remember what led me to think that, but possibly some data/dates perhaps not matching what I had been told).  I'll have to go back and have another look.  The 1881 census has him married to Hannah with 7 children living with them.

However, on the 1891 census, Abraham appears to have a new wife (Sarah) and as well as some of his previously listed children, there are also 2 new children (Francis age 9 and Beatrice age eight). However, Sarah is listed as 56 years old, so would have had these children in her very late 40's.   His youngest child from the marriage with Hannah is Edith, who is 11 - so he appears to have moved on quickly  :o   I've only just discovered this today, don't know how I previously missed it!

I haven't ever been told he had 2 previous marriages, so maybe that is what confused me  ???

In the 1901 census, he is listed as married to Louisa, with Beatrice living with them (aged 18) as well as new children: Alice (7) , Hilda (6,  my great grandmother) and Christiana (3).  I have a copy of Hilda's marriage certificate and Christiana was listed as a witness, so I am confident this record is correct. 

I think Abraham is going to cost me a small fortune in marriage certificates!  :'(

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 15:15 BST (UK) »
Are you sure about the 1891 census? I found the family with Abraham and his wife ANNE and whilst at first glance Anne's age looks like 56, I think it's possible that that's a transcription error and she was actually 36.

Louisa appears with the family in the 1901 census. Although she was described as his wife, I can't see a marriage for them and in fact if they were telling the truth to the 1911 enumerator, they weren't actually married at the time (so I think the idea that Louisa didn't know about the children is a bit fanciful, they were living together so she could hardly have missed them!!!)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 15:22 BST (UK) »
From the Leicester Chronicle, 5 Feb 1887:

ADMINISTRATION ORDERS: The following people applied to be releived of a portion of their debts: Abraham Wright, shoe-rivetter, Belper Street, Belgrave; debts £28 17s 1d - pplication dismissed

This looks like your Abraham.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)