Author Topic: Frustrating lack of online Gloucestershire Parish Records.  (Read 27274 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrating lack of online Gloucestershire Parish Records.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 October 13 10:02 BST (UK) »
My husband has been researching in Gloucestershire for many years and I have always envied him the large number of records on line.There are ideas on the Gloucesteshire board on this site.I cannot remember the exact names of sites he used but I'm sure if you Google ...Gloucestershire parish records you will find all you need.Obviously I don't suppose all places are fully covered but I do know he found a very large number from a wide area of villages.I think one site was called All the Cotswolds.You could also google your own village names to see what records are available.Also Free Reg which is part of FreeBMD may have covered your area.Try Genuki as well.
There are lots of records out there and The county is one of the best for on libe records.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline Gernot Janssen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Lincs to the past http://www.lincstothepast.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of John HARVISON at St Matthew, Coates, 14th April 1765
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 October 13 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Victor,

thanks, and yes - not new to family history - have been on this for the past 25 years, strictly privately, I am indeed new to at least Gloucestershire and "roots".
I am sorry, I shall try to catch up with things.

Take all the time you need to recuperate. I can wait. Thanks for offering to verify "my" John Harvison.
Father and mother should be: John & Mary (unless Mary had already died by or before April 1765 - which may explain John's move to Caistor, Lincs  - which I find to be quite a drastic distance in those days).

Thanks & Best Wishes,
Gernot
Thanks & Best Wishes,
Gernot

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 02 November 13 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gernot,
Source: Glos Archives (GA) PFC 92 IN 1/2, St Matthew, Coates, PRs.
The above source reference is the actual Parish Register and I could find NO entry of a baptism for John HARVISON, 14th April 1765. There is NO baptism entry between November 1764 and December 1765.
Coates is a very small parish.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Gernot Janssen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Lincs to the past http://www.lincstothepast.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 04 November 13 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Victor,

Thanks very much for checking. Interesting that he's not listed at all. I guess, it's back to Lincs for me then, and double-check the baptisms there. Caistor, Lincs, is where this John ended up at around 1797 - which still doesn't explain the move of his parents from Tetney, Lincs to Coates, Gloucestershire. I guess, I should double-check into Stow, Lincs...
There is a wee hamlet, Coates-by-Stow, just outside Stow... I wonder if the parish priest/ curator got carried away when he wrote down Gloucestershire in the baptism record of John's son, also called John.
Thanks & Best Wishes,
Gernot

Offline juliew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 27 January 14 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Victor,

I have been looking for a baptism around the Gloucester area for a William Player born about 1793 according to his age on this death certificate. His year of birth had been about 1800 on the censuses.  Other than Gloucestershire for his place of birth per the 1851 census, the 1861 census has St. Nicholls Gloucestershire.

Many thanks.

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Baptism of William Player
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,
There is no record of a baptism for William Player at St Nicholas, Gloucester 1790-1802.
I did find a marriage which may, or may not, be relevant.
A William PLAYER of Tetbury married Betty BROWN at St Matthew, Coates, Glos 25th June 1786, by Licence.
Victor
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline juliew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of William Player
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,
There is no record of a baptism for William Player at St Nicholas, Gloucester 1790-1802.
I did find a marriage which may, or may not, be relevant.
A William PLAYER of Tetbury married Betty BROWN at St Matthew, Coates, Glos 25th June 1786, by Licence.
Victor

Hi Victor,

Many thanks for your time.  I will have a look around with the information and see if anything crops up.    :)

Julie

Offline fionagayther

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Please can you help me to find my 2x Great Grandmother.  Her name was Charlotte Duncan and she lived in Stonehouse.  Her death in 1912 is given as Stroud.  I would like to find out where she is buried but I'm having no luck. I'd be grateful for your help.  Thanks.
Ferguson (India)
Scott (Leeds, India)
Beck (Isleworth, Greenwich)
Hotz (India)
Wilkinson (Liverpool, India)
Warr (Dorset)
Bishop (Somerset)
Isaacs (London, Dorset)
Humphreys (Glamorgan, Cheshire, India)
Connor (Ireland, South Africa)
Patrick (Wiltshire)
Larkin,
Rifle Brigade
6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers)

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona,
The burial records for St Cyr, Stonehouse are held at Glos Archives (GA), and on my next visit I'll check the microfiche record for you - PFC IN 1/19 3 refers.
Victor