Author Topic: WARDLAW HELP - Scotlands minister 1779-1853  (Read 14716 times)

Offline barryr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WARDLAW HELP - Scotlands minister 1779-1853
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 02 August 14 03:36 BST (UK) »
Well, hello cousin-in-law Forfarian.
ADAMSON, Perthshire; HAY, Ardersier; HAY, Banffshire; JOHNSTONE, Aberdeenshire; MORRISON, Stirlingshire; REID, Old Meldrum.

Offline barryr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 02 August 14 04:05 BST (UK) »
Was Peter Hately WARDELL related to the HATELEYs of Birmingham, England?  Thomas HATELY (1793-1862) was a glass blower.  Some of his descendants emigrated to Australia.
ADAMSON, Perthshire; HAY, Ardersier; HAY, Banffshire; JOHNSTONE, Aberdeenshire; MORRISON, Stirlingshire; REID, Old Meldrum.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 02 August 14 12:11 BST (UK) »
Was Peter Hately WARDELL related to the HATELEYs of Birmingham, England?  Thomas HATELY (1793-1862) was a glass blower.  Some of his descendants emigrated to Australia.

I don't know. I don't usually research in-laws' families further than one generation, that is, I look at the parents of anyone who marries a relative, but not their grandparents, uncles and aunts.

Peter Hately Waddell (not Wardell) got his middle name from his mother, Alice Hately. She was born in Aberdeen in 1779, parents John Hately, shipowner, and Margaret Jeffreys, married James Waddell, 9th of Balquhatstone (1767-1850), on 17 June 1815 in Slamannan, and died on 25 June 1870 at Seafield House, Cardross. She was James Waddell's second wife. They had, allegedly, six children. I have baptisms for the three eldest and deaths for the two eldest and the youngest. I have no evidence at all for the existence of the fourth and fifth children.

However I have a note to the effect that she was a cousin of Thomas Pringle, 'the African Poet'. He was born at Blakelaw in Roxburgh on 5 January 1789 to Robert Pringle and Catherine Haitlie, and died in London on 5 December 1834. I have not researched this statement at all.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline barryr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 03 August 14 00:40 BST (UK) »
Ok.  Thanks for responding.

Offline Surd1s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 10 May 19 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

with great interest I followed your conversation about the children of Rev. John Reid and Marianne /Mary Ann / Marion Wardlaw Reid, eldest daughter of Rev. Ralph Wardlaw, D.D. and Jane / Jean Smith Wardlaw.

As my focus is on Rev. John Smith Wardlaw - Marion's younger brother and missionary in Bellary, Madras Presidency, India, too - I am familiar with the cemetery there. J.J.Cotton, in his "List of European Tombs in the Bellary District with Inscriptions thereon, Bellary 1894" writes about Rev. J. Reid: „1844, 8th January.-Rev. John Reid, M. A. of the London Missionary Society at this Station, who died in the 35th-year of his age and the 11th of his devoted labours.“
Also a little one is mentioned there: „1833, 26th July.- John Wardlaw, son of John and Marianne Ann Reid, of the London Missionary Society, born 12th November 1832.“ This 1 year old John Wardlaw Reid seems to be the 1st-born of the couple's children. They married 1829 and reached their destination Bellary 1830. After Rev. J. Reid's untimely death his widow with 5 children returned to UK. Does anybody know all the names of these five?

I only know about four of them yet:
Marianne Christina Reid (1833?-?)
James Reid (...)
Ralph Wardlaw Reid (1835-1899)
Jane Wardlaw Reid (1840-1866)
Who knows about the missing one?

I am not related to the Wardlaw family; I am a German hymnologist, writing a paper on Rev. John Smith Wardlaw's contribution to The Andhra Christian Hymnal by 3 translations of English Hymns into Telugu language.

Offline barryr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 11 May 19 06:24 BST (UK) »
I have 5 children of the Rev. John REID and Marion/Marianne/Mary Anne WARDLAW but James is not one of them (see below).

However, it is known that John and one of his brothers, James, were very close so it is possible that there might have been one child named James.

Rev. John REID, M.A.
son of William REID and Christian/Christina JOHNSTON
b. 17 Jun 1806, 9 (now 29) Old Compton Street, Soho, Westminster, London, England
chr. 15 Jul 1806, Scotch Church, Crown Court, Russell Street, Westminster, London, England
Congregational Church missionary, educated at the University of Glasgow
d. 08 Jan 1841, Bellary, Karnataka, India
bur. 08 Jan 1841, Church of England Cemetery, Bellary, Karnataka, India
m. 28 Jul 1829, Barony, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Marion/Marianne/Mary Anne WARDLAW
dau. of Dr Ralph WARDLAW, D.D., and Jane/Jean SMITH
b. 09 Oct 1804, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
d. <Jul 1897, Camberwell, Surrey, England
|-> William Wardlaw REID
|   b. c1831, Bellary, Karnataka, India
|   Colonial broker
|   Living at 16 Warwick Place, Peckham Rye, Surrey, England, 1851-c1879?
|   Living at Couripinn House, Oliver Grove, Croydon, Surrey, England, 1881
|   d. 30 Jan 1893, Stoke Newington, London, England
|   m. <Jul 1854, Newington, Surrey, England
|   Elizabeth STEPHENSON
|   [was she chr. 11 May 1828, St Giles, Camberwell, Surrey, England, a dau. of Stephen and Sarah STEPHENSON?]
|   [or the dau. of John James STEPHENSON and Elizabeth REID?]
|   [or someone else?]
|   b. c1828, Christ Church, Southwark, Surrey, England
|   [Living at 16 Warwick Place, Peckham Rye, Surrey, England, 1851-c1879?]
|   [d. <Apr 1878, Camberwell, Surrey, England?]
|   |-> Issue
|-> John Wardlaw REID
|   b. 12 Nov 1832, Bellary, Karnataka, India
|   d. 26 Jul 1833, Bellary, Karnataka, India
|   bur. 26 Jul 1833, Church of England Cemetery, Bellary, Karnataka, India
|-> Marianne Christina REID
|   b. c1833, Bellary, Karnataka, India
|   d. unm. 03 Sep 1866, Milburn House, Renfrew, Scotland
|-> Ralph Wardlaw REID
|   b. 05 Sep 1835, Bellary, Karnataka, India
|   Hosiery Warehouseman
|   Living at Beulah Lodge, Colliers Water Lane, Norwood, Surrey, with his uncle's family, 1851
|   Living at 25 Carden Road, Camberwell, Surrey, England, 1881
|   d. 12 Mar 1899, 297 Friern Road, East Dulwich, Surrey, England
|   bur. 15 Mar 1899, Forest-hill Cemetery, Surrey, England
|   m. <Jul 1860, Lambeth, Surrey, England
|   Catherine Johnson THOMAS
|   dau. of Charles Johnson THOMAS and Mary WHITE
|   b. 02 Nov 1836, Bungay, Suffolk, England
|   chr. 08 Jul 1837, Independent Chapel, Bungay, Suffolk, England
|   Living at 25 Carden Road, Camberwell, Surrey, England, 1881
|   d. 07 Sep 1919, 297 Friern Road, East Dulwich, Surrey, England
|   |-> Issue
|-> Jane Wardlaw REID
    b. c1839, Bellary, Karnataka, India
    Living at 1 Sutherland Terrace, Newington, London, England, 1851
    d. unm. 18 Nov 1920, 297 Friern Road, East Dulwich, Surrey, England

Offline Surd1s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 11 May 19 07:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your immediate reply!
That's more than I expected - and fully sufficient for the paper I am preparing.

Three of Ralph and Jane Wardlaw's children have lived in Bellary in 19th century:

Marion/Marianne Wardlaw Reid
Rev. John Smith Wardlaw
and Jessie Wardlaw Thompson

Best regards

Offline barryr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 11 May 19 08:18 BST (UK) »
Ralph and Jane's daughter, Janet Crawford WARDLAW, m. Rev. William THOMSON, a Missionary at Bellary, and William and Janet's son, Right Rev. Ralph Wardlaw THOMSON, D.D., who was b. at Bellary, and, possibly, their daughter, Mary Caird THOMPSON, who m. David PRAIN.

Offline Surd1s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 11 May 19 16:10 BST (UK) »
regarding Ralph and Jane's (youngest) daughter I have two questions again:

1.) Isn't her name Jessie? You wrote 'Janet' Crawford WARDLAW, m. Rev. William THOMPSON, a Missionary at Bellary.
2.) I came across Crawford as her middle name in several mission journals, which fits to the information you have. Do you have an idea where from she got this middle name? Is there any grandmother of her's with that family name?

I have to share some details, I compiled from various sources: End of 1848 Jessie Crawford Thompson had seriously fallen ill in Bellary. So the family decided to return to England. As the railway to Madras was not yet built, father Rev. W. Thompson and his eldest son Ralph (9 years old) did ride on horse back. The poor mother, the two little ones and their ayya travelled in palanquins. Soon after the family reached Madras, Jessie Crawford Thompson passed away and was buried there in January 1849. Rev. Thompson returned to England with his three children. 

Right Rev. Ralph Wardlaw THOMPSON, D.D., who was b. at Bellary, accompanied his father in 1850, when the father got an appointment in South Africa. From 1881-1914 Rev. Ralph Wardlaw THOMPSON, D.D. has served as Foreign Secretary of the London Missionary Society.

About the rest of the family I do not have information. Somewhere I read that Rev. William THOMPSON might have remarried twice, but that is not in my focus at present.

You wrote "and, possibly, their daughter, Mary Caird THOMPSON, who m. David PRAIN." That sounds interesting! I would like to know little more about the two little ones in that palanquin, if possible.