Author Topic: Spring Gardens, Anlaby Common  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Spring Gardens, Anlaby Common
« on: Sunday 12 October 14 13:41 BST (UK) »
A shot in the dark. Does anyone know if the houses in Spring Gardens would have been privately owned or rented in the 1930's?

Bee
 :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Gardens, Anlaby Common
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 October 14 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Bee,

Not conclusive but I found a piece in the Hull Daily Mail of 10 Nov 1933 regarding 57 Spring Gardens.  The property was being presented as an "Electric Exhibition House" and was for sale for £325.  So at least one property was definately privately owned in 1933 (assuming someone bought it  ;)) which may indicate that the others were too.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 October 14 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Pinetree, I hadn't thought about checking the HDM.

As you say, not conclusive but it does help.  £325 wouldn't buy you a front door nowadays never mind a house.

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 October 14 11:50 BST (UK) »
I don't know what your ancestor's occupation was but to give you an idea of the people who could afford to buy a home in Anlaby and the other areas in Hull.  I've just done a google walk down Spring Gardens and the design of some of those houses is similar to the one my uncle and aunt bought at the start of their married life in 1934, which they lived in all their lives.  He was a joiner for the Co-Operative in Hull.   There must have been a lot of houses going up in that decade because my parents bought a brand new end of terrace bay window house with gardens on three sides for £350. in readiness for their wedding in 1938. (It wasn't built when they put down their deposit).  He was a mechanical engineer working for a company which built cranes and dredgers.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 October 14 15:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for you input, Rena,

My ancestor moved from Anlaby Park Road to Spring Gardens in the mid 1930's. He was a bricklayer at marriage in 1932, by 1943 he was a builder and by 1954 he was a master builder living in Harrogate.

I think that at some point he owned rather than rented, and maybe even helped to build one of the houses he lived in.

A few weeks ago I drove past the relevant properties.

Bee