Author Topic: Clow/Young Hoddam  (Read 3308 times)

Offline jma09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Clow/Young Hoddam
« on: Friday 05 September 14 02:25 BST (UK) »
I am researching the children of Gavin Young, minister at Ruthwell and came across this MI at the Hoddam cemetery on Rootsweb.

Here lyes Thomas Clow in Boat-House of Hoddom who d. 2 May 1758 age 78 yrs  also Agnes Young his souse who d 1 Feb 1760 age 83 yrs. Memory of James Clow  of Land who d 8 May 1805 age 89 yrs and 4 mo. also Mary Hunter souse to James  Clow of Land, d. 7 Jun 1770 age 47 yrs 8 mo. Memory of Thomas clow of  Dogslacks s/o James Clow of Land who d. 22 Jun 1834 age 66 yrs (Ferryman at  Hoddom before  the bridge was built, Agnes was the daughter of Gavin Young Minister of  Ruthwell, father of 31 family)

My problem is that Gavin Young died in 1671 and this Agnes Young was born in 1677.

Can someone please look up the MI for Hoddam, or better still check the Grave  :)) to see if the headstone actually says the last bit.

Any further help on Gavin Young's children would be most appreciated.  Thanks

Janine

ALDRIDGE - Chesham Bois & Hawridge BUCKS, Marylebone MDX;   BRAILEY - MDX
GRANT - Jersey, MAHER - Tipperary, MAGUIRE -  Limerick, HEDGES-Heath & Reach BEDS
BELL, HAUGH, MCNEIL - Dalton, Dumfries, SCT;  MURRAY- Ruthwell, Dumfries  "Bellridden"
 CARLYLE - Brydekirk, Limekilns;  MCNEIL - Hoddom
GREIG - Pathhead, SCT
KENWORTHY, BUCKLEY, GARFORT - Saddleworth
BYERS- Bolton, Westmoreland
SUTTON- Stockport, Farnborough, Banbury
BUSWELL - The Bartons, Oxfordshire ; STEVENS- Bicester

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clow/Young Hoddam
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 February 15 12:24 GMT (UK) »
    If you google Dumfries & Galloway Monumental Inscriptions, a list comes up.     It is the top one, which gives you a list of graveyards in Dumfries-shire.     Click Hoddam, and you will see that the information about Clow that you gave is correct.     The last part about Agnes being the daughter of Gavin Young etc is there.   Hope this helps.

Offline jma09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 February 15 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the confirmation.  Yes the information on the MI looks right but the dates don't match.  Gavin Young died in 1671 and Agnes was born in 1677 ???  Any ideas?  Janine
ALDRIDGE - Chesham Bois & Hawridge BUCKS, Marylebone MDX;   BRAILEY - MDX
GRANT - Jersey, MAHER - Tipperary, MAGUIRE -  Limerick, HEDGES-Heath & Reach BEDS
BELL, HAUGH, MCNEIL - Dalton, Dumfries, SCT;  MURRAY- Ruthwell, Dumfries  "Bellridden"
 CARLYLE - Brydekirk, Limekilns;  MCNEIL - Hoddom
GREIG - Pathhead, SCT
KENWORTHY, BUCKLEY, GARFORT - Saddleworth
BYERS- Bolton, Westmoreland
SUTTON- Stockport, Farnborough, Banbury
BUSWELL - The Bartons, Oxfordshire ; STEVENS- Bicester

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 February 15 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Janine,
           When I tried a google for "When was Gavin Young minister of Ruthwell, Dumfries-shire?" quite a lot comes up on a list.      5th site from the top gives good photos of Ruthwell church and the Ruthwell Cross.    It says that Gavin Young hid the cross under the floor of the church to prevent its destruction.

On another site, about the Carlyle family, on this list, it says: "Edward Carlile of Limekilns, the eldest son, married Margaret, daughter of Gavin Young, minister of Ruthwell before 1699.      I wondered if the Carlyle family tree would reveal anything more of the Gavin Young's children, but maybe Margaret is the only one they are interested in.     (However, I don't know if the Carlyle descendants have a tree online at all.)

It seems that Gavin Young's wife was Jane Stewart (you will already know that) - but it gives this a mention if you click onto page TWO of the original google list.      It is the site 6th from the top.     

If it was me researching it, I would make up a variety of googles, and try them just to see what comes up.     For instance:
"Gavin Young, minister of Ruthwell, Dumfries-shire - how many children did he have?"      Or: "Names of the children of Gavin Young, minister of Ruthwell."       Or: "Ancestry Family trees who have Gavin Young, minister of Ruthwell, born 1677."      Etc, etc, etc - - I am always amazed at the information that comes up if you type in googles, no-matter how vague they are.

Offline irenemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 May 15 10:17 BST (UK) »
The Hoddom MIs were first surveyed in the 1960s by a group led by George Gilchrist and Archie Shannon. The comment about Agnes Young being a daughter of Gavin Young is an editorial comment.....200 years later! Plenty of time for muddle to creep in :(