Author Topic: Elizabeth DAVEY/DAVY  (Read 10705 times)

Offline annabananae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth DAVEY/DAVY
« on: Saturday 23 May 09 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hello

My ancestor Elizabeth DAVEY/DAVY (daughter to Henry DAVEY/DAVY and Mary Ann (?) was born in Plymouth in 1837. She came to australia before 1853 and married Richard Henry Edwards. I am hopeing somone could assist me in finding out Elizabeth's exact birth date and information on the marriage and maybe births/deaths of her parents. Mary Ann has no recorded surname here in australia records but maybe there is a record for their marriage over there? Are the DAVEY/DAVY a popular last name in Plymouth, is there any information about the family? Anything would be helpful!

Thankyou for taking the time to read this post!

Cheers, annabanana (from down under) :)

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth DAVEY/DAVY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 May 09 15:44 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, DAVY/DAVEY is a very common surname in Devon. I've checked most Plymouth area registers and couldn't locate an Elizabeth dau of Henry & Mary Ann, nor could I find a marriage for them.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline lcsnor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 04:09 BST (UK) »
Had a look at the 1841 and 1851 censuses looking for a family consisting Henry, Mary & child Elizabeth b. abt. 1837.

In 1841 the only close one I can find is in Exminster - Henry & Mary, a child Mary, age 4 and a child Eliza age 1.

In 1851 they're still in Exminster Henry, 37, ag lab, b. Exminster, Mary, 35, Winkleigh, Eliza, 11, Exeter, Henry 9, Exminster, Elizabeth 6, Exminster, Jane, 3, Exminster, Thomas 10m, Exminster.

They are possibly the Henry Davy & Mary Beer who marry in nearby Alphington 6 nov 1836 according to the IGI.

Exminster is just outside Exeter.

I don't think that's your family ... but thought you should see it.

I can't obviously find another Henry & Mary Davy/Davey together in Devon in 1841.

In 1851 there are 2 appropriately aged Elizabeth Davy's b. Plymouth living with grandparents in Plymouth.
One is age 12 living with her widowed grandmother, Ann Davey in Plymouth.
Second is age 11 living with her grandparents William & Eliza Sadler(?) also in Plymouth.

Finally in 1851 & perhaps most interestingly there is an Elizabeth E Davy age 10, living in Stoke Damerel, b. Plymouth, living with her mother Mary Ann Davy & siblings, Frederick, Mary Ann & Edwin.  It's hard to tell if Mary Ann, who is listed as a carpenter's wife is M or W - the enumerators M & W look almost identical to me!  I can't spot an obvious Henry alone in Devon who is a carpenter.

Is the information you have from marriage certificate - or death certificate - or do you have both? 

Sorry all this isn't more conclusive - but I thought you may be interested to see what there was, however unhelpful!

good luck
louise
Desperately seeking:
Martha Ann Keily - Limerick/Woolwich mid 1800s
Mary Jane Hawkins - Bridgwater c.1835
George Gulson - Warmfield or Mansfield 1790s

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annabananae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 10:55 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for all of your help, I really appreciate it. I know that Elizabeth was a child to Henry Davey and Mary Ann Smith, daughter of William Smith and Mary Willcox. Is there any info around about those two? And according to the records i have access to Henry Davey had a mother named Christiana (married name Davey). Unfortunately this is all i have at the moment, but thankyou for all of your time and effort, my thanks spread across the seas from Australia to England!

Anna Edwards, Brisbane

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 13:41 BST (UK) »
BINGO!!!! Elizabeth was baptised in Torpoint, just across the river from Plymouth:
10 Jan 1836 Emma Mary DAVEY dau of Henry & Mary Ann of Torpoint, father a miner
09 Jul 1837 Elizabeth DAVEY dau of Henry & Mary Ann of Torpoint, father a miner
The 1841 census for Cornwall shows:
HO107 141/3 Folio 44 Page 19
Tuckingmill, Camborne
DAVEY   Henry   M   20   Copper Miner    Cornwall  (? AGE)
DAVEY   Mary   F   30   M Fuzer    Cornwall       
DAVEY   Christina   F   65   Ind    Cornwall       
DAVEY   Ann   F   12       Cornwall       
DAVEY   Emma   F   5       Cornwall       
HOCKING   Mary   F   1       Cornwall       
THOMAS   Thomas   M   25   Molder Of Iron    Cornwall

Don't know where Elizabeth is though, and Camborne is some distance from Torpoint/Plymouth.

Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline annabananae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 09:07 BST (UK) »
Thankyou! :)

Offline fizzix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There is a Family tree for this family on Ancestry which states that  MaryAnn gave birth to a daughter Christiana Mary 8/7/1848 on board the immigrant ship "Sibilla". They had two further daughters in Australia and ended up in NZ.

I think the Mary mentioned in The 1841 is Henry's sister as she is still around in 1851 & 1861 and is unmarried.
This may explain why Elizabeth isn't there in 1841, perhaps she and her mother are visiting elsewhere, but I can't find them.

It appears that Mary Ann was born in Shoreditch Middx, but having parents named William and Mary Smith doesn't help when searching.

I hope this doesn't confuse things.
Jacqui
Walls, James, Waterworth, Coram, Higman, Ecroyd, Battersby, Monk, Hine, Reid, Hancock, Glanville, Hudspith, McDonald, Podesta, Wyatt, Harrison, Scantlebury, Davey, Whiting, Edmonds, Glover, Donnithorne.

"All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Welsh Girl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 21:16 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if will muddy the waters, but I have an Elizabeth Jane DAVEY born in Cambourne 1855.  She married Thomas Jenkin Greenway, and eventually went to live in Bristol.

I don't have Parental information for her, but I do on the Greenway side ....

Any help??
Homer, Smith : Kington, & Tirphil
Davies : Carmarthen & Tirphil
Greenway : Cornwall, Bristol & South Wales
Nicklen : Exeter
Squire & Stone : Cadleigh & Exeter
Vigers : Exmouth
Smith : Corsham
Webber, Salter : Morchard Bishop
Evans, Balsom, Farrent, Salter, Shallis, Snell : Otterton & Heavitree
Thompson, Smith, Leek : Brynmawr & Monmouth
Davies :  Merthyr & Neath
Ridd : George Nympton
Dando : everywhere
O'Mara : Ireland & Wales
Manfield : Bristol & Cardiff
Pollexfin : Devon (var)

Offline Geoff Pye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Just read your post re Elizabeth Davey, her sister was my great grandmother Mary Anne, I have some of the information you are looking for. Mary Anne was named after her mother Mary Anne nee Smith.