Author Topic: Farrows of Rosedale - Margaret  (Read 10170 times)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Farrows of Rosedale - Margaret
« on: Monday 06 December 10 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,     Re Parents of Margaret Farrow, born abt 1838 Yorkshire, died 1894 Ont., Canada

I am researching the Farrow family of Rosedale Yorkshire.  I have Christopher Farrow (1818 - 1895) married to Mary Hodgson (1821 - 1905) in 1845.  They came to Canada in 1845 and had several children there. 

My "family history" says Margaret is the daughter of Christopher and Mary.     The 1861 and 1871 Canadian censuses have Margaret Farrow born 1837/1838 living with Christopher and Mary.  She is also buried with them.  She died in August 1894, aged 55.  (so born in 1839).   

Is Margaret really is the daughter of Christopher and Mary?  She was born several years before they were married.   Genuki  Rosedale (excellent resource for this family) has no record of a prior marriage for Christopher and no record of Margaret's birth.  The Canadian censuses don't list relationships.  Her death record doesn't list her parents.    She never married, so I can't check marriage records for information about her parents.  I don't see her on the 1841 England census.

I am stumped.  Does anyone have any ideas where I should go from here?
Thanks
RK

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Farrows of Rosedale - Margaret
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 19:20 GMT (UK) »
I don't suppose she could be a niece?
 or
could she have been born Margaret Hodgson?
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 21:22 GMT (UK) »

Hi RK,

Welcome to RootsChat !!  :) :)

could she have been born Margaret Hodgson?

I was wondering about that too excel - I checked Margaret Hodgson - there was a child registered by that name. Problem being - there was also a possible match in 1841 - living with what looked like her parents.

Birth, Mar. qtr. 1838
Margaret Hodgson
Pickering, Vol 24, page 355

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Excel and Pels. 

Thanks for the suggestions.  Margaret could well be a niece or another relative on the Farrow side.  But why would she go to Canada with Christopher and his wife?   It would only make sense if her parents were dead.  According to my information, none of Christopher's brothers died leaving a young daughter Margaret.   These are Christopher's parents and siblings-   John Farrow (1765-1848) m. Elizabeth Featherstone (1755-1802)  Children: John b.1789; William b. 1790; Barbara b. 1794 and Mary b 1797.  John m2  Mary Gibson (1783-1826).  Children Elizabeth b. 1809; Martha b. 1811; Thomas and Edward b. 1813, and Christopher b. 1818.   

The niece idea may still work.  Perhaps Margaret is the daughter of one of Christopher's sisters??  There is no Margaret born in 1837-1839 on the Genuki Rosedale Parish index, but she could have been born elsewhere - if she was "illegitimate"???  

The same could be true if she were Mary Hodgson's daughter.  She might have been born outside of the parish.   

If she were a Hodgson niece or cousin, wouldn't she have kept the Hodgson name??  Margaret is always called Margaret Farrow.   

I still have a mystery on my hands, but I am a bit less confused.  You have given given me some more ideas to work on. 
Thanks.  
I seem to have inadvertently added an emoticon to my text and I don't know how to remove it.  OOPS 

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if you have seen this entry on the IGI which is about the right time in the right area

MARGARET FARROW 
 Christening:  11 NOV 1840   Rosedale, Yorkshire, England

Parents:
  Mother:  ANN FARROW  Family 

Extracted birth or christening record
Source Information:   Batch No.: C040583 

NB There is no father shown on the baptism.  When did the family go to Canada ?
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Pels.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 22:56 GMT (UK) »

Could this be the birth and death registration for that Margaret, David ?

Birth, Dec. qtr 1840  
Margaret Farrow       
Pickering, Vol 24, page 431

Death, Dec. qtr 1840 
Margaret Farrow       
Pickering, Vol 24, page 281

It always makes me sad to see this.

Pels.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Davidft and Pels,

Yes, I did see that entry for Margaret Farrow christened in Nov, 1840.  According to the parish records on Genuki Rosedale, that Margaret only lived for a few days and was buried on Nov 17 th 1840.   I agree - it is sad to see records like that.   

To answer your question David, the family came to Canada in 1845.  

Thanks for your help,
RK

Offline Pels.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 23:11 GMT (UK) »

I'm sorry, another long shot, but no harm in asking - do you know who Mary's parents were, have you checked who, if anyone was staying with them in 1841 ?

Pels.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Longshots are great.  Sometimes they hit the target!  I have just been looking through some 1841 census records with your suggestions in mind.

I know that Mary Hodgson's father was William Hodgson.  Mary and Christopher Farrow were married in Middleton.  Mary and her father's addresses are given as Marton.  Christopher was living in Rosedale.  Mary was working as a servant when she was married, so she would not have lived with her parents.  There are MANY Mary Hodgsons on the 1841 census who were born about 1820 and are working in that part of Yorkshire as female servants.  I have no way of knowing for sure which one is the Mary in question.  I haven't found any with a young child. 

As for her parents,  I have been told that Mary's mother was also Mary, though I have not verified this for myself.  I have a few possiblities for this family, but none (so far) show a Margaret Hodgson of that age living with a William old enough to be her grandfather.   

I feel that it is more probable that Margaret is either Mary's daughter or is a Farrow niece - as she used the name Farrow.   However, probable is not always right and your Hodgson ideas are certainly worth pursuing further.   I will keep at it and see if I find anything in that direction.   Margaret is still posing quite a mystery!   

Thanks for the suggestions.  RK