Author Topic: Wensleydale Creamery's Museum-Cheese Press made by "M.Dinsdale-Hawes"  (Read 2502 times)

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wensleydale Creamery's Museum-Cheese Press made by "M.Dinsdale-Hawes"
« on: Tuesday 15 July 14 20:23 BST (UK) »
A friend of mine recently had a holiday in Yorkshire and visited the Wensleydale Creamery. Knowing that the surname "Dinsdale"is one of my interests he sent me a picture of a cheese press made by an "M.Dinsdale - Hawes" which is in the Visitor Centre/ Museum. Although I don't live in Yorkshire I'm ashamed to say that although I've visited Hawes several times I haven't yet visited the Creamery. My great-great-grandfather was called Michael Dinsdale, was a blacksmith and lived all of his life in Hawes ( 1815-1882). I'd love to know whether it was made by him. I have emailed the Creamery and am waiting for a reply. I know it's a long shot and appreciate that its origin may not be known. Has anybody "out there" and particularly in North Yorkshire come across any other metal goods/ artifacts made by an "M.Dinsdale-Hawes"?

Pirhana
Dinsdale ( North Yorkshire , Wolverhampton & North Wales) , Alderson ( North Yorkshire )Hill ( Toxteth ) , Morland ( North Yorkshire )  , Simpson ( Nathan- Lead miners North Yorkshire ), Walsh( Midlothian ), Webster ( Henry-Midlothian & Newcastle )

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wensleydale Creamery's Museum-Cheese Press made by "M.Dinsdale-Hawes"
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 August 14 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,

This isn't a direct answer but I hope of some interest.

In 'Life and Tradition in the Yorkshire Dales' (originally published in 1967) by Marie Hartley and Joan Ingilby there is the following sentence:

"It is to be remembered that the father and uncle of Mr. T.T. Dinsdale of Gayle, Wensleydale, helped to build Marsett Chapel, Semerdale, walking the four miles there and back from Gayle over Wether Fell and earning 2s. 6d. and 2s. 3d. a day respectively"

The book also has a photograph of Mr. T.T. Dinsdale and his son re-roofing a house. In the acknowledgments M.H. & J.I. mention a Mr. E. Dinsdale. M.H. & J.I. lived in Askrigg and M.H. spent 70 odd years collecting material (written, verbal and physical) about the Dales, firstly with Ella Pontefract and then with J.I. in the 70s they donated their collection to the North Riding of Yorkshire C.C. and this subsequently became the basis of the Dales Countryside Museum in Hawes.

You probably know all this already but I thought perhaps the Museum would be good place to approach for further information.

HTH
Brie

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wensleydale Creamery's Museum-Cheese Press made by "M.Dinsdale-Hawes"
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 August 14 14:28 BST (UK) »
To Brie, thanks for that information-very interesting. I haven't as yet contacted the Dales Countryside Museum , but will do now.

Thanks again,

Pirhana
Dinsdale ( North Yorkshire , Wolverhampton & North Wales) , Alderson ( North Yorkshire )Hill ( Toxteth ) , Morland ( North Yorkshire )  , Simpson ( Nathan- Lead miners North Yorkshire ), Walsh( Midlothian ), Webster ( Henry-Midlothian & Newcastle )