Author Topic: Wall, Flint & Bolton families  (Read 1785 times)

Offline scarborough79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wall, Flint & Bolton families
« on: Tuesday 15 July 14 15:11 BST (UK) »
I am interested in any info anyone may have about the above families. The Wall's seem to have settled in Northumberland after 1870 having arrived in the Bedlington area from Dudley, West Midlands and South Yorkshire. My paternal grandfather John Wall was assistant lighthouse keeper at North Blyth from 1908 (a year after it's construction) until 1925 when he became the lighthouse keeper until his retirement began in 1936.
The Flint family originated in the Northumberland area but moved away to the Leeds, Keighley area of Yorkshire before their return to Northumberland. Most of the family appear to have been connected to the mining industry and my grandfather William Andrew Flint was killed in a pit accident at the Isabella Colliery, Blyth, Northumberland in 1933.
The Bolton family come from Radcliffe a small village near Amble on the Northumberland coast and my maternal grandmother Margaret Jane Bolton was married to William Andrew Flint.
Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Wall, Flint & Bolton families
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi scarborough79 and welcome to Rootschat.

What information are you looking for on your families?  :)
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline scarborough79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Anything really I suppose. I know chunks but there are areas where things get a bit vague. I guess I was looking for others whose paths may have crossed with these families in their research. For example if anyone was aware of those family members working on the Blyth harbour who may have information about John Wall or those who worked in the lighthouse at the time he was there. The Bolton were I understand a well known and respected family in the Radcliffe area and Ralph Bolton was a well known local figure in the mid to late 19th century. George William Bolton known as Will was in a regiment called King Edward Horse during WW1.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat.

Very probable that your family knew mine. When did they move away from Radcliffe? My grandparents lived there until the whole community was moved down to Amble and the village was flattened to make way for the opencast in 1971.

What information are you looking for?

Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 16:14 BST (UK) »
There is a J Bolton on the Radcliffe War Memorial on the WW2 plaque. Is he one of yours?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline scarborough79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 21:09 BST (UK) »
The only ones I know for sure that moved away were my grandmother on marriage in I think 1913 and her brothers who ended their days in Stocksfield and Blyth. I think the Bolton on the war memorial is a relative but I'm not sure in which way.

Offline AlisdairGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 20:06 BST (UK) »
Scarborough79 .... I haven't forgotten your request from last week, but I have been busy. I'll try to dig some info out tomorrow or Friday and EMail you.

As to the lighthouse ... as he lived North of the river, he may have been responsible for the light at the end of the pier rather than the light behind Bath Terrace.
Daniel: Scarborough
Malyon: Essex, London
Bell: Northumberland
Gibbs: Northumberland, Co Durham, North Yorks
Appleyard: Bridlington, Scarborough
Barton: Nottingham, Sheffield
Bunn, Sanderson, Gray, Hindmarsh, Tron , Tait and others - wife's family , Durham and Northumberland

Offline scarborough79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 July 14 06:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ally and yes I know it was the lighthouse at the end of the pier. He lived at the Link End a few doors from the Seven Stars pub.