Author Topic: William Newton & Elizabeth Miller - married Tynemouth 1797  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Newton & Elizabeth Miller - married Tynemouth 1797
« on: Wednesday 23 July 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
Background
My 4th great grandparents, William Newton and Elizabeth Miller, were married by banns at Tynemouth 2 Jan 1797. In my search for their baptisms and ancestors I have found the following additonal information:

Children baptized Tynemouth from 1799-1814:
- Jane Miller Newton 1799,
- Sarah Newton 1801,
- William Newton 1804 (born Dec 1803),
- Ann Davis Newton 1806,
- Elizabeth Juliet Newton 1810 (born 1809),
- Mary Newton 1811,
- Harriet Miller Newton 1814.
- Also possible that Thomas Newton 1816 could be theirs, but mother's maiden name is not on the transcript.

In 1851 William Newton is a widower, mason pauper, living with his youngest daughter Harriet and her fishmonger husband John Henderson (my 3rd great grandparents). Tanscriptions show his age as 60 and birth year as 1791, but I think it may be 80 which would suggest born about 1771. This census gives his place of birth as Cullercoats.  Ref: HO1017/2410/453/38.

Possible deaths for William Newton, Tynemouth Q2 1858 vol 10b p77, Tynemouth Q3 1857 vol 10b p93, Tynemouth Q2 1851 vol 25 p319. Possible death for Elizabeth Newton, Tynemouth Q4 1839 vol 25 p 308. Planning to order certs.

Can you help with:
1. Where was William Newton in 1841?
2. Do you agree with my interpretation of the 1851 census?
3. Any thoughts on correct baptisms and parents for William Newton and Elizabeth Miller? (The middle name Davis for daughter Ann can be a clue, but I have not yet found anything to fit that.)

Any suggestions would be welcomed as I think I was off on the wrong track for William at one point.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Newton & Elizabeth Miller - married Tynemouth 1797
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 13:39 BST (UK) »
I would have a look at a couple of the actual bishops transcripts that are on familysearch to see what they say about the parents origins.

For example this is Jane's baptism

http://www.rootschat.com/links/018zb/ 

and it says the father is a native of Shilbottle and the mother of this parish ie Tynemouth

Shilbottle is 35 miles from Cullercoats !
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 13:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Davidft,
That was a big help. I have previously been looking at Shilbottle as a possibility for William and when I revisited my notes to try to go further I could not find my documentation of why I set off in that direction. You have now convinced me that I was not going doollallytap :)

Following the Shilbottle lead gives me a probable baptism for William Newton 6 Nov 1772 to Lancelot Newton and Sarah. Then a probable marriage 12 May 1767 between Lancelot Newton and Sarah Johnson.

Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 July 14 00:43 BST (UK) »
William Newton & Elizabeth are my 4th great grandparents too...

I can save you buying that certificate if you haven't already sent off for it - he died just 9 days after the 1851 census was recorded, on 8th April 1851 at Cullercoats of Bronchitis.

As davidft pointed out, he is the son of Lancelot Newton and Sarah nee Johnson who married at Shilbottle on 12th May 1767.  Their children were born at Whittle, Newton and Greensfield in the parish.

My own descent is from Sarah Newton who married James Slaughter at Tynemouth on 26 Mar 1826.  The baptism you refer to for a Thomas in 1816 is for a different William and Elizabeth Newton, a waggonman from Howden.  Our William was (briefly) a mariner and then a mason at Cullercoats.  Somewhere I have a photo of Sarah as an old woman and a silhouette which my grandfather told me was of 'one of her sisters' without being able to recall which one unfortunately.
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 July 14 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hello jon541. Nice to hear from a new 5th cousin :)

Thanks for ruling out the Thomas 1816 that I was unsure of. Have you managed to find a census entry for our William in 1841? He is eluding me at the moment.

The death information you have given me is also very useful as I was not certain which of the three potential death records for William was correct. Do you think my theory about Elizabeth's death record is correct? If so, I will send for the certificate and let you know when it arrives.

Possible children for Lancelot Newton and Sarah Johnson
After confirmation from davidft that I was on the right track with Shilbottle I worked on with Lancelot Newton and Sarah Johnson yesterday and found the following potential Shilbottle, Alnwick and Felton baptisms for children:
- Thomas, 10 Jun 1767, bapt Shilbottle
- Elizabeth, 22 May 1770, bapt Shilbottle, living Whittle
- William, 6 Nov 1772 (ours), bapt Shilbottle
- Jane, 15 May 1775, bapt Shilbottle, living Whittle
- Sarah, 14 Nov 1779, bapt Alnwick
- Eleanor, buried 31 Mar 1782 at Felton. Have not found baptism.
- John, 25 May 1783, bapt Felton, living Swarland Dean House
Most of the above information is just taken from online indexes and has not yet been checked against record images. How do these fit in with your findings? I found two references to Whittle, none to Newton or Greensfield in the transcripts I was using.

Working back from Lancelot Newton:
Possible baptism for Lancelot Newton at Alnwick 11 Aug 1739. I am working on the theory that his parents may have been Thomas Newton and Mary Wilson who married 27 Nov 1737 at Felton. Stuck on Thomas.
Possible baptism for Mary Wilson 9 Oct 1715 at Shilbottle. Looking at possible parents Lancelot Wilson and Mary Wilson who married 1 Jul 1705 at Shilbottle, which would explain the Christian name of our Lancelot Newton.

Working back from Sarah Johnson:
Possible baptism for Sarah Johnson 6 May 1744 at Shilbottle. Father William. Stuck there so far. No idea who the mother may have been.

I hope you can take a look at my theories about baptisms and parents for Lancelot & Sarah and see whether you think I am on the right track. I will send you a PM with my contact information and more about how I am related to our common ancestors.

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 July 14 10:18 BST (UK) »

Craclyn have you considered this 1841 census record?
The image shows William a mason born in County, age is out he's 60 on this one.
Same household Elizabeth Robson 30 and her son Thomas 3 both born in County
HO107 Piece 825
There is a marriage record for an Elizabeth Newton and a James Robson 1829 on Freereg
I don't know this area so could be way off the mark but thought it might be worth a look.
www.freereg.org.uk/

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 July 14 11:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rolnora,

Sometimes reach a stage where I just can't see for looking :)

I think that may well be him, although looking at the image indicates that he is in a household with a Mary Wilson and that the Robson household is separate. Could well be living next door to a daughter though, so I will take a closer look at both Mary Wilson and Elizabeth Robson.

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 July 14 12:22 BST (UK) »
It happens to all of us, doesn't it ?
We spend so much time searching we get to the point where we can't see the wood for the trees ???
Mary Wilson is described as a female servant on the record and born out of County so perhaps not any relation.......but then you never know and it's always worth checking.

Good Luck with it. :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline david.f8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 September 14 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Craclyn

Hope I can help. William Newton was also my 4th great grandfather. When I started my family tree I was lucky that my father had been named Newton Skipsey Fellows. Not a christian name in site, all his names came from family surnames.

I haven't done any research for some time now and this will set me off again. Going back from William and Elizabeth his father was called Lancelot and he was married to Sarah ? (sorry don't know her maiden name).

As a child in the early sixties I remember visiting relatives in a country cottage in the small village of Edlingham west of Alnwick. Perhaps this was one of Williams descendants.

One of Williams granddaughters (Betsy) married James Bell Skipsey, my dads middle name. The Skipseys are another storey noteably Joseph Skipsey and his father Cuthbert.

I hope this is of interest and I will re-start my research and see what else I can turn up.

If we can share family details let me know.