Author Topic: Death at Durham County Asylum  (Read 5353 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death at Durham County Asylum
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 11:28 BST (UK) »
I have looked at the on-line Newspapers, nut cannot find anything for the accident to James, or details of an inquest. Probably the particular year for that area is not on-line yet.

I would imagine the local library or local archive will have such old newspapers. I am not local to the County of Durham, so I can't say for sure. You could try contacting Durham Archives just to ask if they hold relevant records that would help you with this (or a local Rootschatter may know).

http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/Pages/contactus.aspx

I know that in my local archives (Lancashire) -- asylum admissions are held -- and I was able to see my own ancestor's records. It does vary from County to County though - depending upon what has been kept of course. I would definitely contact the Durham archives to see what they have.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 11:56 BST (UK) »
Durham County Record Office have these records for Winterton Hospital  http://www.rootschat.com/links/019yv/ 
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi my gt gt grandfather died there 1899 from TB, but was buried at York Hill Cemetery. try googling Winterton Sedgefield, lots of leads to look at, also click on images when you get a list of search results, there is a photo of the hospital

www.townswebarchiving.com/sedgefield/record-grave for burials
www.houghtonlespring.org for info on workhouses, there may be a connection. Also lots of photos, a big site with lots of info

Offline kabeja

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 13 February 17 23:39 GMT (UK) »
As a matter of interest, my Gt Grandfather died in an asylum - due to 'general paralysis'-- I have never been sure whether that meant he was paralysed or not.

General Paralysis could be General Paralysis of the Insane, caused by Syphilis.

Stan
Hello Stan, we now have his patients notes from Winterton and it seems you were spot on about the cause of his general paralysis. While the notes don't specifically mention syphilis, in the notes James does acknowledge he had ''the bad disorder'' some seven years before his admission and the notes record the classic symptoms of the progress of syphilis related 'general paralysis' from his admission in April 1907 right up until his death in January 1908 by which time he was completely bed ridden, emaciated and feeble. He was also mentally 'exalted'.
When he was first admitted his notes said the cause/predisposition was an injury to the spine but the ''bad disorder'' he later acknowledges seems the likely cause.
We got the records from Durham Record Office which i have to say is a fantastic service for anyone who may need to use them.
Suffolk... Sharp.
Durham... Moody, Clark(e), OŽNeil(l), Sharp,

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Kabeja and Stan.

Oh my goodness! I am the person who replied to Kabeja's initial enquiry saying that my Gt Grandfather had also died in an Asylum of 'General Paralysis'. Although I obtained his admission papers from the local Archives - I hadn't realised there may also be other papers concerning his medical condition whilst there. (I have no idea why I didn't think of that - it was such a shock to find he had died in the Asylum anyway - and to read the Doctor's admission notes.)

Now - from what you and Stan have said - I am even more horrified!

I have just looked up 'General Paralysis of the Insane' - and amongst other things Wikipedia states;

Delusions, common as the illness progresses, tend to be poorly systematized and absurd. They can be grandiose, melancholic, or paranoid. These delusions include ideas of great wealth, immortality, thousands of lovers, unfathomable power, apocalypsis, nihilism, self-blame, or bizarre hypochondriacal complaints.

My Gt Grandfather's admission includes a statement from his Doctor of things my Gt Grandfather had told him -- utterly ridiculous and fanciful statements as to what he had done, where he had been - his important job etc (none of which were remotely true). So he was most certainly suffering from delusions.

I can see I am going to have to delve again and see if other papers exist at the Archives.

Many, many thanks for the information and the update to both of you.
Places of interest;

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 12:09 GMT (UK) »
According to the Registrar-General, for England and Wales, in 1915 there were a total of 2,246 deaths from General Paralysis of the Insane. 1,818 males, and 428 females.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Stan -- have you ever thought of going on Mastermind?! You are so knowledgeable about all sorts.

Yes -- from what I read earlier it was more common in men than women. So you be careful!
Places of interest;