Author Topic: Marriage unfound  (Read 4192 times)

Offline Irishseeker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage unfound
« on: Wednesday 14 May 14 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there, can anyone help me again please? I have the death cert of my 1st cous. 1x removed,who died in 1943,married to Robert Greig, Corporal RAF. I can find no record for their marriage and I have search SP with no luck at all. Why not ?
I truly have tried all variables, with no luck.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage unfound
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Silly question, but are you sure they married in Scotland? ;D ;D
And next question what age was your cousin when she died and when do you think the couple married?

You haven't given your cousin's name. If your looking for someone else to have a check you'll need to give that information  ;D

Looby :)

Offline Irishseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 01:11 BST (UK) »
Talk about the moronics' of this world. So silly of me. Her name was Mary Thompson Brown, daughter of Robert McGregor Brown and Esther Thompson. She was born 1917, died 1943 aged 26. You are quite right, maybe they married elsewhere as there was a war on, I have nothing on her husband Robert Greig other than on the death cert., he is said to be a corporal in the RAF.I appreciate your input, Looby. As to when they married, 1933 would be the earliest possible, I would think.  Biddy

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 01:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Did they have any children born in Scotland? If so then I think their birth registration would have when and where parents married. Certainly earlier registrations show this information although as I, and others, have found, it is not always truthful. Also Scotland recognised Irregular Marriages up until 1940,

Andy

Offline Irishseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 01:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andy, I know of no children, and Mary died of Pernicious anaemia of pregnancy, aged 26.I will check for offspring again.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 02:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Irishseeker,
     Found on Scotlandspeople, Statutory Marriages: Robert Greig & Mary Thompson Brown married 1942 at St Mary, Angus, Scotland.
     Leave you to use Credits to check this out. Not sure how old Marriage Certificates have to be before they can be viewed. Deaths are 50yrs. Births are 100yrs.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Irishseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 03:09 BST (UK) »
Dod how the devil did you get that cert. I have been on it for 2 damn days and nothing.I do not understand how this works. But I do thank you so much for your response. I hope someday I can do the same for some-one too. Biddy

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Biddy,
That's great that your couple have been found . If you haven't already checked out Scotlands People just to say you won't be able to view the marriage online as the Marriage certs are only able to be viewed after 75 years . Therefore a 1942 marriage will be available on the site by end of 2017. If you want more details you will need to order the cert or pay a visit to a Scotland Peoples Centre, As I have no idea where in the world you are, I appreciate that might be difficult! In which case you can always put out a request for someone going to a Centre to do a look up for you.
Good luck
Looby :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 09:01 BST (UK) »
married 1942 at St Mary, Angus, Scotland.

St Mary is one of the subdivisions of Dundee.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.