Author Topic: Lewis Swarbrick - Hamilton  (Read 1820 times)

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: Lewis Swarbrick - Hamilton
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 18:13 BST (UK) »
Good morning jds,

I am working on my mother's family line and noticed your Swarbrick post. I have a Jim (possibly James) Swarbrick that married my 1st cousin, 2xremoved in Hamilton, Ontario sometime during the 1920s or 30s. I am at this point assuming Jim/James was born about the same time as his wife Mary - between 1910-15. I am wondering if your Lewis is connected to my Jim - Swarbrick is not a common surname?

John
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

There were/are a number of different Swarbrick families in Canada and whilst I have some information on most of them, I don't have the complete picture. Lewis Swarbrick did have a brother James, but he did not go to Canada, so it's not that particular family. What was Mary's family name?

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 June 14 01:24 BST (UK) »
Hi jds,

Jim's wife's name is Mary Aylett(e), daughter of George Aylett(e) and Mary Coy. Mary was born in Hamilton Ontario during 1913, however, I don't know where or when Jim was born.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 June 14 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

I've looked through my data and the only James I have in Ontario - in the 1911 census as a 5 year old in York South - married a Gladys Leferve, so not your man. If Mary was born in 1913 it's likely that James was born about the same time and so was not born by the time of the 1911 census for Canada, which is the latest I have access to; he may even have been born in the UK and emigrated to Canada as a child.

If you can find the actual marriage and get a date for James, and a father's name, then I might be able to match him with the data I hold.  Sorry not to have been of more use,

Ancestry [Canada] has a James Swarbrick resident in Hamilton on the 1940 electoral roll if that's of any help. I don't have a subscription to view the actual entry.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1