Author Topic: Adam Templeton Death in Toronto  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adam Templeton Death in Toronto
« on: Wednesday 16 July 14 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am trying to find the date of death for my Great Grandfather Adam Simpson Templeton.  He was born on the 10th of December 1892 in Galashiels, Scotland.  Sadly he passed away in Weston, Toronto, Ontario whilst on holiday visiting my family.  It was anywhere between 1951 and 1958.  If anyone can help I'd be very appreciative.
Thank you

Borderslass
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Templeton Death in Toronto
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 19:25 BST (UK) »
Wonder if the death would have been in the Toronto papers and perhaps copied to the Scottish papers.  Have you tried the nearest local libraries ? Or tried the Selkirkshire board ?
Run Kitty is a wizard with that type of search - hopefully may come along and help you out. If not you can have a short 1 week pass to the Toronto Star to search for Obituaries at a reasonable price.

http://www.thestar.com/about/archive-search.html

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 19:41 BST (UK) »
I know that my Granny brought his ashes back to Scotland with her.  I'm not sure if my grandparents would have put it in the paper in Toronto as no one else would have known him in Canada.  It's possible it may have been put in a Galashiels newspaper.
Thank you for your help Sandra   :)
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 19:47 BST (UK) »
Not finding Adam but these things may be related ?
Noticed a Barbara Laidlaw (with children) on a passenger list to Canada in 1948 was that the  daughter of Adam  ?  Address was Meigle Street Galashiels.
Also noticed an obituary for another Barbara (nee Laidlaw) Smith in died October 2012 Lakeridge Health Bowmanville - was that his granddaughter  ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 20:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, Barbara Laidlaw was my grandmother and Barbara Laidlaw Smith was my mother.  I've been to the Pier where my grandmother, my mum, brother and sister disembarked in Halifax; it's now a museum.   :)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 20:51 BST (UK) »
There's no BMD register in Canada - As a guide BMD Records are only available for births more than a 100 years ago, marriages 85 years ago (They are up to about 1928 at the moment)and deaths 70 years ago.
Still drawing a blank on this one so far.

Sandra

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 July 14 02:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I just had a look in the Star and the Globe newspapers.  I tried the name Adam Templeton (with and without the Simpson) and lots of variations/combinations of Templeton, Weston, Galashiels, Scotland, Laidlaw.....  no luck :'(  Sorry, I can't find anything in the Toronto papers.  I hope you have better luck with the Scottish ones.

RK

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 July 14 19:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help.  I'll try to see if there was anything on the Galashiels newspaper front.

Borderslass