Author Topic: Sailor's official number.  (Read 2165 times)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Sailor's official number.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 October 14 19:00 BST (UK) »
if he died in 1885, you need to visit National Maritime Museum. There are records of the death of Henry Moor at FindMyPast a little more than what you have but i don't know if this is of any use to you. He drowned in the river Elbe, Hamburg
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline skippy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 October 14 20:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this, it's very kind of you .
I will have a look at National maritime museum website.

Offline skippy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 October 14 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Took a trip to the NA in Kew on Saturday to try and find out a little more on this Henry Moor, thought the log books might help but unfortunetely they don't go back to 1885 which is when Henry died.
Also had a look at the records that Seaweed mentioned while I was there .
I am just wondering if a full death certificate would have been issued showing his parents etc and not just what is shown on the Marine returns register which just shows his name, d.o.b. and date of death.
I wonder if a member would know ?

thank you

Also would anyone know how I could find out where he might have signed up as a crew member.

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 October 14 15:04 BST (UK) »
skippy,
Astronomer ON 87923 was built 1883 and it looks as if the CL&A for 1884 is/are held at Liverpool Record Office under the reference 387 CRE/76. The CL&A for 1885 is possibly held at the NMM, Greenwich.
Allie ON 86386 was also built 1883 and it looks as if the CL&A for 1884 is/are held at MHA,Canada and the CL&A for 1885 also possibly held at the NMM,Greenwich.
If you are local for Greenwich you might want to visit there first. You could try an e-mail to Liverpool and Canada to ask what they actually hold.
jcmac.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 October 14 17:27 BST (UK) »
jcmac - I was under the impression that for the MNA staff to do a search for you they need the name of a vessel your ancestor sailed on.  In this case Skippy has a choice of two, but I think the fee is quite high.  I wanted to find information about my g.grandfather but as I have no idea what ships he worked on, contacting MNA is not a route I can take.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 October 14 18:06 BST (UK) »
Skippy,
 You have both the names (ASTRONOMER and ALLIE) and official numbers.
If you cannot get to NMM Greenwich you can access  the 1885 crew agreements and logbooks by filling in this form. http://www.rmg.co.uk/researchers/library/crew-lists-agreements-and-official-logs-request-form
I have no idea of the cost
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 October 14 18:17 BST (UK) »
LizzieW,
I get so used to referring to these archives by initials that I forget to explain fully what I mean.
NMM is the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich.
TNA is The National Archives, Kew.
MHA is the Memorial University of Newfoundland, Maritime History Archive, Canada.

You are right about costs when asking for a formal search. I wouldn't ask for a formal search now but an initial inquiry to MUN(MHA) asking what their 1884 CL&A holding for Allie is.   
A similar general query to Liverpool about Astronomer in the meantime.
I am assuming that skippy is able to visit the NMM,Greenwich (Caird Library) quickly if he/she lives locally and would know what, if anything, was needed from Liverpool or Canada when they replied.
jcmac.

Offline skippy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 16:47 BST (UK) »
jcmac, LizzieW and Seaweed,

thank you for your input and advice.
I will try your suggestions and do some e.mailing.

I did send an e.mail to the Mitchell Library in Glasgow to ask about full death certificates being issued for Scots dying abroad but they informed me that no there would not be one so unless I can find some sort of logbook or crew agreement with his parents names etc I am stuck.
So fingers crossed.

Offline skippy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 19:13 BST (UK) »

Quick update.

Found shipping records for the Astronomer which shows ship on which he last served was , and I quote,
c/o Cadiz. and discharged 1883.
He signed the agreement on 5/1/1884.
Have had a quick look for the Cadiz and the only one I can see was built in Glasgow in 1853.O.N.31155.
If I could just find the agreement for the Cadiz to see if it shows his name and an address I would be sorted.