Author Topic: Rowe Family  (Read 4113 times)

Offline cazz_87

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rowe Family
« on: Thursday 17 July 14 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

I wonder if anyone could help me find more information on the Rowe family who were based in Cumberland in the 1800's

I have Edward Henry Rowe born about 1857 in Cockermouth, is parents are John and Jane both born in Ireland in the early 1820's. He had a son called Robert Henry Rowe born about 1882 somewhere in Cumberland I think with a lady called Maria, he then went on to marry Elizabeth and have another 5 children from 1893 onwards.

I would love some more information on his parents John and Jane, I'm sure they lived somewhere in Scotland before they moved to Cumberland as one of Edwards older brothers was born there but no idea where.

There seems to be loads of Rowe's in this area about that time so I am guessing they are all linked in some way.

any help would be great.

thank you

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rowe Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 July 14 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Cazz what was Edward's brother's name is this a marriage for Edward to a Maria Jane Bell 1879 Carlisle Cumberland and in the 1881 census at 32 Saddle Lane Cumberland occupation iron moulder

Offline cazz_87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 July 14 12:14 BST (UK) »
As far as I can tell Edward has 4 siblings Ann, George, Mary Jane, and John, George being the one I found on a later census still living in Cumberland with the birth place of Scotland.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 July 14 12:22 BST (UK) »
Yes found the family in the 1861 census but said they were all born in England ? that's why I wondered if there was another brother  :)

Offline cazz_87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 July 14 12:35 BST (UK) »
Oh, I'm not sure where I got Scotland from then, I cant seem to find a death for Maria. I'm guessing she died between 1882 when Edward when Robert was born and 1891 as she isn't on that census.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 July 14 18:55 BST (UK) »
I noticed on the 1891 census if this is the correct on Edward Henry Rowe occupation fish dealer aged 32 with son Robert H Rowe son aged 8 note Edward is not listed as widower ... married ..Did this same Robert Henry join the army ? :)

Offline cazz_87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 July 14 19:41 BST (UK) »
Yes Robert did join the army he was in the border regiment as far as I know.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 July 14 20:40 BST (UK) »
Yes I thought that as on his record he says he was living with his brother and does not know his father ? Mother listed as Maria Rowe ?

Offline cazz_87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 July 14 21:00 BST (UK) »
Never noticed that before, very strange as he is listed on the 1891 census as living with his dad on his own when he would have been 8 so surely he would have remembered him I would imagine.

Living with his brother is a bit of an odd one unless Edward and Mary had and older child that I haven't found yet as all of his siblings were at least 10 years younger than him.

Do you know if it was possible to get divorced in that era as its starting to look like it was a separation rather than a death of maria for the reason of Edward remarrying.