Author Topic: Wood and Turner  (Read 1656 times)

Offline gatty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wood and Turner
« on: Friday 28 February 14 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello, i was hoping someone could confirm/refute some info i have gathered and possibly provide further info.

According to the IGI  my 3gt Samuel Standley Wood was the son of John Wood and Sarah Turner.
IGI indicates Sarah was the dau of John Turner and Ann Standley and died 1806.
A family bible says my 4gt was John Rigby Wood born 1769,an artist. (1771 according to burial) and that he had two sons my 3gt and his older brother John born 1794 -both in Burslem .
I believe John and Samuel both worked at Graingers in Worcester as flower painters..
Unfortunately i am stuck re parents of John Rigby Wood and would be interested in further info re the Standleys and Turners.
A family rumour often quoted by my grandmother was that there was a connection to nobility(the Standleys?) but i have been unable to make a link to the Stanleys(Earls of Derby).

I would be grateful for sources confirming  the marriage of John Wood to Sarah Turner and that her parents were John Turner and Ann Standley.
I am aware of the Turners of Lane end who were famous potters but believe these relate to a different family.

Thanks for any help.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wood and Turner
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 February 14 21:51 GMT (UK) »
hi and welcome to rootschat .
can you confirm wether you mean igi indicates sarah was the dau of john turner and ann standley and ann died 1806 ?
also do all these folk reside in worcs area ?
have you looked in the family search site for any of these folk ?

best wishes
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline gatty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 February 14 23:20 GMT (UK) »
hi and welcome to rootschat .
can you confirm wether you mean igi indicates sarah was the dau of john turner and ann standley and ann died 1806 ?
also do all these folk reside in worcs area ?
have you looked in the family search site for any of these folk ?

best wishes
trevor

I got Sarah as the dau of John Turner and Ann Standley from http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/g/r/i/Melissa-L-Grimsley/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0166.html.  It is her death that is given as 1806 via a contributed entry in the IGI. However the info is not too reliable. It gives Sarah's date of birth as 1758 . Her marriage as 1803 and 6 of her children as born 1806! It  also gives her husband's birth date as 1794! I know that Samuel Stan(d)ley Wood brother,John was born 1794.

The people in question as far as i know were from the Burslem area .  As the IGI  entries for Sarah Turner and Ann Standley are contributed entries  i am not sure of their reliability.
I do know that my father's cousin had in his possession a family heirloom which was a picture of the 'Stanley ladies'.

I am almost certain these are my ancestors but am reluctant to add them to my family tree  without confirmation of the info from other sources.

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
  • TURNER Jasper Mug c.1780. Friend of Jos Wedgewood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 May 14 12:03 BST (UK) »
Yes Gatty

The Turners of Lane End are my family line. To my knowledge you have not made any errors by including any of them.

Good Luck with your search.

Rob
Staffordshire: Turner, Emery, Hyde & Markland
Lancashire: Stirrup, Cloweth
London: Fountain,
Devon: Devonshire, Webb
Stirling: Wingate, 
Australia: Fountain, Turner, Solah, Paskins, Brookfield, Cowle, Trondsen

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 May 14 13:54 BST (UK) »
hi
Can find the following children
Isiah Wood 11.11.1792 Burslem St John buried 30.12.1792
John 29.6.1794 Burslem St John
Harriet 28.11.1802 same.
Can't see Samuel stanley
Then possibl 2 children at Barlaston
Sarah 10.2.1805
Joseph 18.1.1807(after Sarah's death so maybe not)

Burial for Sarah wood wife of John Wood painter St John Burslem 4.3.1806

John Rigby Wood remarries as a widower St Mary Newington 23.4.1813 to a Ann Dyson.

Suggestion on other trees he was born at Wandsworth in 1769 and died Leyton essex 1826.

Ciderdrinker

Offline gatty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 May 14 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you. According to Wood family bible John was born 15 Jun 1794 and Samuel 9 Feb 1804 in Burslem (according to census).