Author Topic: Wall Coat of Arms  (Read 9294 times)

Offline J Wall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wall Coat of Arms
« on: Saturday 04 December 10 02:28 GMT (UK) »
I am currently researching information about the Wall Coat of Arms. This originally started after I cleaned out some of my father's things and found some information about a family crest. At first I was a bit skeptical and wanted to know how many Wall family crests there where not to mention entitlement. Skipping the possible entitlement issue so that I could at least know what the coat of arms looked like for the various Wall families I began researching. One of the documents that I found in my father's jumbled pile of papers cited The general armory of England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales by Bernard Burke as such, I decided to start there. I found a copy on Google Books and began looking up Wall. However, I have found 27 entries for for Wall or Wale. In an effort to reduce this number I attempted to look for what would seem to be the most likely (as to where I know I have ancestors from) -- those from Bristol, Gloucestershire and general use. The entry for Wall, or Wale for Bristol, co. Gloucester, co. Essex, Alby, co. Norfolk, co. Rutland, and Reaby, co. Suffolk states, "Ar. on a cross sa. five lions ramp. or. Crest -- A lion ramp. guard. or, supporting a long cross sa." The second possible Bristol entry for Wall is Wall, or Wale Fun. Ent. Ulster's Office, 1629, Dorothy Wall, or Wale, m. first; Michael Quick, of Drogheda, afterwords of Bristol, merchant; and secondly, Thomas Cave, Comptroller of the Customs in Ireland states, "Or, on a cross sa. three lions ramp. in pale betw. two others pass in fess of the seid." Personally, this second entry seems the least likely. There are three general Wall entries. The first reads, "Ar. a lion ramp. gu." The second reads, "Az. two chev. erm." The Third is from Reg. Ulster's Office and reads, "Vert a lion ramp. between. three crosses pattee fitchee ar." However, none of these are the ones I have found in my father's pile of papers that has the family coat of arms on them. That entry is Wall from Johnstown, co. Carlow; descendent from William du Vall, or Wall, who accompanied Richard du Clare, Earl of Pembroke (Strongbow), to Ireland, 1172, and died 27 March, 1210, leaving a son, John Wall, who had four sons, founders of families, viz. ... John, ancestor of Wall, of Ballymalty. Pedigree registered by Hawkins, Ulster, 1716 and the coat of arms description reads "Az. a lion ramp. betw. three crosses crosslet or" the crest is "A nuked arm holding a scymitar, the blade guttee de sang all ppr." and motto "Aut Caesar aut nihil".

What I would like to know is what the other Wall coat of arms look like and what the possibility is that if my ancestor did see a coat of arms, or had one, that he would have seen the last entry? After doing the research I thought it was very interesting/odd that William du Vall had a son known as John Wall which is the name of my ancestor from Bristol and has subsequently been the dominate name for first born males in my family. However, I do know that I can't simply assume that John Wall son of William du Vall had the same name as my ancestor and therefore they must have the same coat of arms...I'm just saying that it's interesting.

Offline Stephen J F Plowman

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
Re: Wall Coat of Arms
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 December 10 12:52 GMT (UK) »
The higher the "status" (land &/or office) of an ancestor the better the chance that they may have had Arms.  Only genealogy can really answer your question as to whether or not you are entitled to Arms.  I would suggest not getting to fixed on someone if there is a gap of a few centuries between them and your earliest known ancestor. 
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all
Also British Heraldry (www.heraldry-online.org.uk)

Offline J Wall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 December 10 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Would you happen to know of any website I could use to view the other forms of the Wall coat of arms?

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 December 10 16:33 GMT (UK) »
You don't give any indication of the period when the papers you found had a coat of arms.   Around 1900 a lot of small businesses "adopted" coats of arms to which they had no entitlement.  These coats of arms were or were derived from those of families with the same name but to whom there was no established relationship.

I have two examples of these in my own family tree and in both cases I am 99% sure that there was no entitlement.

What is interesting about the shields that you quoted is that there is a distinct similarity between a number of them which would probably indicate that there was a remote relationship between the families which was recognised by the College of Arms when they were granted. 

A crest which has descended with the shield often is similar to the shield (in your case the lion ramp.) whereas other crests might be adopted from female lines.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wallace_W_Wall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 March 12 19:04 GMT (UK) »
If you didn't allready know, there is book written by Huge Galloway that cronicles the families 800 year history in Ireland from the time they landed with Strongbow, untill 1970, it called The Walls of Ireland. I just found a copy, haven't read the whole book, but I've seen many parts of it in articles. The wall family was originaly De Valle, there were  four Knights that started the Wall name in Ireland.

The family history is a little foggy around the battle of Hastings. Huge Galloway traced the family to a teal of land in the Normany France area, William the Conquer was from that same area.  It's likely that played a role in the families arival in England. Some articles speculate that the De Valle family actually originated in England, things are not really all that clear being there are variations to the name De Valle, De vale, we'll likely never know for sure the original origin. They did collect knights fees and bore arms, that much is clearly documented going back many centeries.

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 March 12 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Would you happen to know of any website I could use to view the other forms of the Wall coat of arms?

To the best of my knowledge, no such website exists.  (Considering the amount of work that would have to go into such a website, were one to exist I feel certain that it would be a subscription site where you would have to pay to see the coats of arms.)

Sorry!

David

Offline J Wall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 02:03 GMT (UK) »
If you didn't allready know, there is book written by Huge Galloway that cronicles the families 800 year history in Ireland from the time they landed with Strongbow, untill 1970, it called The Walls of Ireland. I just found a copy, haven't read the whole book, but I've seen many parts of it in articles. The wall family was originaly De Valle, there were  four Knights that started the Wall name in Ireland.

The family history is a little foggy around the battle of Hastings. Huge Galloway traced the family to a teal of land in the Normany France area, William the Conquer was from that same area.  It's likely that played a role in the families arival in England. Some articles speculate that the De Valle family actually originated in England, things are not really all that clear being there are variations to the name De Valle, De vale, we'll likely never know for sure the original origin. They did collect knights fees and bore arms, that much is clearly documented going back many centeries.

Wallace,
Would you mind telling me the title and/or ISBN for the book by Hugh Galloway?
Thank you,
John

Offline Wallace_W_Wall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 March 12 02:38 GMT (UK) »
The book is actually called" The Wall Family in Ireland", you can google it. I haven't got it yet, it's in the mail, I should have it in a week or so.  I'm more than likely one of the decendants of the original De Valle family that followed Strongbow to Ireland in the year of 1170.  De Valle, became Wall sometime in the 1300's is my best guess.  It's very possible the origins of the De Valles was England, or Northern France, or both, nobody will ever know for sure, no records prior to the battle of Hasting exist. It is mentioned that in the Domesday book, the Original one, that family name was included, but I think it was under the De Valle version of the name, that puts the family in England around 1130ish. The three De Valle brothers that started the Wall family in Ireland were Knights in service to Strongbow, who was the Arle of Pembrook. They had to push back Rory O'Conner, the last Proclaimed High King of Ireland that was trying to strip away another Irish Lords land and title. After they were successful, Strongbow granted them land, and the right to collect Kights Fees.  King Henry the first actually had to go to Ireland, because with Stongbow and his 200 knights success being so decisive, made him afraid they would gain too much power. After that was over, and number of years later, King Henry Called upon Strongbow and his Knights to go to France and help Squash a rebelion.

My Great Great Grandfather Thomas Wall landed in America in 1858 at Ellis Island, no doubt due to the famine in Ireland.  My Grandfather pointed to the map one time when I was young, and told be the exact place Thomas grew up, all I remember was it had a "C" in it  ???   Thomas sold the land that was passed down to him for the money to go to America.

Offline J Wall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 March 12 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Ah, thanks for that! I'll be sure to try to get a copy. I'm pretty doubtful that my side of the Wall family is from Ireland as they left for Canada via Bristol. I've been able to do some research and found that my line of Wall's came, originally, from somewhere around the England-Wales border then migrated down to the Bristol area.

You did mention that the book covers from pre-1066 to the invasion of Ireland which I think I will find useful/interesting even if it's not at all related to my linage. Interestingly, my mother is mainly Irish.