Author Topic: Camfield family of Groombridge,Kent  (Read 9338 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Camfield family of Groombridge,Kent
« on: Saturday 14 December 13 15:58 GMT (UK) »
I would appreciate some assistance with information about the Camfield family in the town of Groombridge west of Tunbridge Wells. I am seeking information about his family in connection to their occupancy of two mansions, the first is Groombridge Place and the second is Burrswood.

Im looking to establish a connection back to Kent with a Henry Camfield born 1799 at Speldhurst (most likely in the mansion of Burrswood). He emigrated to NSW in 1829; married Anne Breeze in 1840 and died in 1872 in Albany NSW. He is a famous pioneer of the Swan River Colongy and I have all of the information I need about his life in Australia.Historical accounts about him say that he named his estate in Australia " Burrswood" after his childhood home (farm) in Speldhurst Kent of the same name. No information is given as to who his parents were or who his siblings were and that is what I want to find out first.

Other related information to consider is the following; William Camfield bought Groombridge Place in Kent in 1754 and when he died in 1791 his son John took over the family estate of Groombridge Place and his other son Henry took over the estate of Burrswood. Historical accounts state that Burswood continued to be occupied by the Camfields until the 1830's and "younger members of his (Henry's) family moved to Australia and named their estate Burswood".

I have a baptism record for a William Camfield junior at Burswood, Speldhurst in 1831.

From a family tree I have William Camfield born 1700 Speldhurst,Kent; married Ann (born 1704 Speldhurst); had a son Henry(1738-1788) and Williams parent given as William Camfied,born 1670, and Sarah Fann(1670-1814).The same tree says that Henry (1738-1788) was born at Speldhurst and died March 31,1788 at Speldhurst and that he married Elizabeth Coyfe(1736-1788) October 22,1760 at Speldhurst and that they had a daughter Mary Camfield (1762-1792), born 1762 at Groombridge, who married Henry Woodhams Dec 21,1781 at Speldhurst and who had children with him.

I have a baptism for a William Camfield on Feb 17,1769 with parents of Henry and Elizabeth. Note that his parents names and birth date relate to those of Mary Camfield (1762-1791) and so perhaps this William and Mary are siblings .The Australian Henry (1799-1872) being born about 30 years after William (b1769) is presumably the son of William but this is course is what I want to find out.

If anyone can enlighten me about this Camfield clan I would appreciate your help.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Camfield family of Groombridge,Kent
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 December 13 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Groombridge is a village rather than a town.
This is a photo of Burr's Wood, the mansion. http://www.roughwood.net/PostcardAlbum/Kent/Groombridge/GroombridgeBurrswood.htm

I find this as well, about Groombridge, the manor  - The existence of a manor at Groombridge was first recorded in 1286 when it belonged to the de Cobhams. In 1360 it was purchased by Thomas Waller, whose family built a medieval house on the site of the present house. Groombridge was acquired by John Packer in 1618 and his youngest son, Philip, a friend of the diarist John Evelyn, rebuilt the house in the mid-17th century and probably laid out the built structure of the gardens (Country Life 1955). The property was purchased from the Packers in 1754 by William Camfield, on whose death in 1781 it was sold to Robert Burges of Hall Place, Leigh (see the description of this site elsewhere in the Register), his widow bequeathing it to her sister Mrs Saint.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 December 13 16:45 GMT (UK) »
 Little Buckhurst, formerly Buckhurst, in Chiddingstone [endorsed as also called Walnut Tree Cross Farm and see also U908/P29]  U908/T158  1734-1799

These documents are held at Kent History and Library Centre

26 docs

Administrative history:
Purchased, 1799, by Henry Streatfeild from William Camfield of Groombridge in Speldhurst and his wife, Anne, formerly Anne Everest

Contents:
Messuage and land (74a.) known as Little Buckhurst [up to 1777 Buckhurst] in Chiddingstone
Includes, 1734, John Turner, otherwise Fann, of Groombridge, mercer to Thomas Maynard of Withyham, co. Sussex, tanner, grant of an annuity of £12 from Buckhurst; 1752, will of John Turner otherwise Fann of Framfield, co. Sussex, shopkeeper, leaving Buckhurst to his wife, Elizabeth, for life and then to his children, Thomas, Moses, Richard and Sarah; 1754, will of Elizabeth Turner; 1775, documents connected with purchase by Thomas Turner of the shares of his brother, Moses and sister, Sarah; 1775, mortgage by Thomas Turner of East Hoathley, co. Sussex, mercer to John Morris of Lewes, mason; 1777, Thomas Turner to John Everest of Chiddingstone, gent.; copy made 1799 of the will of John Everest, 1779, leaving half of Little Buckhurst to his wife, Susanah, until his daughter, Ann, was 21 years old and then to Ann and the other half to his nephew John Everest; 1790, John Everest to Susanah Everest of his moiety; 1792, copy of the marriage settlement of William Camfield and Ann Everest; 1799, conveyance to Henry Streatfeild, assignment of mortgage and abstract of title

So, in 1799, the year of the birth of your Henry Camfield, a William Camfield and his wife Anne Everest still lived in Groombridge.

Family naming is the devil in these searches - which Henry, which William as cousins would often have the same name.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 December 13 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Tunbridge Wells, History and Geography, 1786

GROOMBRIDGE
The following Inscription is on an Altar Tomb-stone in Groombridge Chapel Yard

To the memory of WILLIAM CAMFIELD, Gent. who, from a very ruinous condition generously repaired and beautified this Chapel and Street. Of an hospitable and sociable disposition, charitable to the Poor, benevolent to his friends, and the careful and provident parent of a numerous Offspring. He died November 2nd 1781, In the 81st year of his age

Here likewise are interred the Remains of his beloved Wife, Mrs MARY CAMFIELD, who departed this Life the 3rd of April 1774

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 December 13 18:54 GMT (UK) »
The Times, 28 Apr 1832

Marriages
On 26 April, at Speldhurst, by the Rev J J Saint, A M Richard Windeyer, Esq, of Delahay Street, Westminster, to Maria, second daughter of Mr William Camfield, Esq, of Burrswood, near Tunbridge Wells

The Times Jan 4 1833 reports ".... W Caulfield, Esq, of Burrswood, having been voted into the chair....." but by March 1836 The Sussex Advertiser is reporting ".... Burrswood Farm, the property of David Solomons....."

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 December 13 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Sunday Times Jan 5 1823
Marriages - Thomas Baker, Esq, of Ditton Place, kent, to Anne Everest, eldest daughter of W Camfield, at Groombridge

Sunday Times, Aug 24 1834
Marriages - 18th inst, at Brighton, W Henty, Esq, of that place, to Matilda S, daughter of W Camfield, Esq, of Groombridge

Family search has extracted birth/christening records for a Matilda Susanna and Ann Everest Camfield.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 09:44 GMT (UK) »
I saw this today:
"It is likely that from 2018, major internationals in Perth will be held at the Burswood Stadium, which is currently under construction opposite the WACA on the east side of the Swan River".

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 11:37 GMT (UK) »
I wish to thank everyone for their input. Since my previous posting I have found more about Henry Camfiled (1799-1872). I now have his complete history in England and Australia. I found out his parents were William Camfield,baptised Feb 17,1769, one of five known children born to Henry Camfield (1738-1877) and Elizabeth Coyfe(1736-1773).

The children of William Camfield(1769-?) and Ann were Henry,born 1799; Elizabeth,b1800; Matilda Susanna,b1804; Maria,b1795; Ann Everest,b1793 and William,born 1793. I have all the information I need about all of these children except William b1793. All the other children, Like Henry, emigrated to Australia. Can someone help with information about the child William,b1793 and also any information about Ann, the wife of William b1769.?

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Sussex Advertiser, 23 July 1850
DEATHS - July 14, at German Place, Brighton, Wm Camfield, Esq, in his 82nd year

http://www.jenwilletts.com/searchaction.php?page=1&surname=windeyer&ship=&firstname=richard

see the 1st entry for Mrs Richard Windeyer