Author Topic: Wynnes of West Derby  (Read 9570 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wynnes of West Derby
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 31 July 14 11:08 BST (UK) »
www.scottiepress.co.uk
Little Italy
FROM THE GUEST BOOK

Comments: Can anybody tell me where these streets were and if any are still there:- Canton Street, Page Street, Cantebury Street. I am from Liverpool, from an Italian family who lived in Little Italy from the 1880's. They were Bartolomei and Guidugli from Tuscany, Italy. I have recently traced my Italian family history back to their home in a tiny village in Tuscany and would now like to find out more about their lives in Little Italy. I know the Bartolomei family had a Greengrocers at 62 Byrom Street. Thanks for any help Sue Richards

So the Bartolomei family at one stage had a greengrocers in 62 Byrom Street,Liverpool ( city centre )
have you heard of Sue Richards ??
I live in Liverpool - no results for Bartolomei in the phone book
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline SueLucca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wynnes of West Derby/Bartolomei
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 31 July 14 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
there are none of my Bartolomei family still in Liverpool (where I was born and grew up) except for some cousins who I have been in touch with recently.  They are descendants (as am I) of Pilade Bartolomei (brother of Giovanni).   (The Bartolomei family changed their name to Bartholomew around the time of WWII, as did the USA branch of the family)

Giovanni went to USA with his Italian wife Filumena (married in Tuscany, Italy) after spending many years in Liverpool in the Byrom Street,Little Italy area of the city.   Their eldest son Peter married Maud who had some connection with Chirk but I'm not sure exactly what.  They travelled to USA in 1921 with their children. 

Giovanni's brother, Pilade (my great grandfather stayed behind in Liverpool with his wife and children.)    At that time Italians were emigrating to USA, Argentina, Brazil, Australia etc but came through Liverpool where they waited for a ship on to USA.  However, some of them stayed in Liverpool and didn't travel onwards to USA.  Hope this helps.  Sue R

Offline keithwynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 01 August 14 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Maude's father Thomas (b1868 in Chirk, d1954 Liverpool) married Catherine Maude Gray (b1869 Liverpool d1947 Liverpool) had daughter Catherine Maude (b1897 Liverpool d?) who married Peter Bartolomei in Liverpool. Peter left for USA in 1921 to stay with aunt Edith (sister of Thomas) now living in USA married to ? Marano. Catherine Maude followed with children in 1922.
The mother of Catherine Maude Gray also came from Chirk.
Kind regards
Keith

Offline SueLucca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wynnes of West Derby/Bartolomei
« Reply #39 on: Friday 01 August 14 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hello again Keith
thanks for your message.  Just looking through some of the paperwork I have from when I was doing the Bartolomei family research:-

I have a copy of the ship's list from when Peter Bartolomei aged 29 years went to New York
He travelled on the SS Celtic, arriving in New York May 27th 1921.

He was travelling with James Black who was 52 years old.  They are both Painters. They both gave Mrs Moran of 35 Willowdale Avenue, Montclair, NJ as the person they were travelling to.  Mrs Moran is down as a friend of James Black and Aunt to Peter Bartolomei.   I wonder if this would have been Aunt Edith?   You mention "Marano" - this is probably Moran?

I was in touch with Joyce, granddaughter of Peter Bartolomei, for quite a while after I had met up with her in USA but I haven't had any contact with her for a while.  However, I will now try to get in touch to let her know the details you have provided about her family roots.
Kind regards,  Sue.   ps in 1936 Peter (1891) and Maud (1897) were living at an address in Bloomfield, New Jersey.

Offline keithwynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 02 August 14 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hello again Sue,
Thankyou for your last message. I have looked up what information I have about Edith Wynne, sister of Thomas.
When she was 35 years old she left Liverpool for USA on the Baltic, arriving Ellis Island on 19th October 1912, her sponsor/friend was Mrs (Mr) Dealey of 139 East 19th St, NY.
In 1921 she met up with Peter and his friend.
In 1927 she returned to Liverpool for the second marriage of her widowed sister Jane to James McCarte. She appears on their marriage certificate as witness Edith Marano.
Incidently (and of no great interest) the ship Baltic was a sister ship to the Titanic which had sunk some months before Edith sailed!
Now I am about to try to make the definitive family tree but hope I may come back to you to help fill in the gaps.
Best wishes
Keith

Offline keithwynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 15 September 14 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My great aunt Jane Wynne, as a widow Jane Guest aged 64 living in St Georges Hill, Everton married James McCarte in July 1927.
I have been unable to find any details of him except on their marriage certificate his occupation is "Cinema Fireman"  Does anyone know what this means?

Keith