Author Topic: Southampton Docks 1952  (Read 1400 times)

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Southampton Docks 1952
« on: Friday 10 October 14 10:08 BST (UK) »
I landed at Southampton Docks in June 1952 having sailed from Mombassa on the maiden voyage of the SS Kenya Castle. Does anyone know exactly where in Southampton she docked? I have looked at lots of websites re this ship, but can't find the exact location Any help appreciated carol mc

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Southampton Docks 1952
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 October 14 12:27 BST (UK) »
Maybe this picture from 1949 will help?
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw022292

Shows a Union-Castle Line ship berthed at the New Docks (Western Docks).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 October 14 12:40 BST (UK) »
According to a Railways article I found(!!):
The Ocean Quay, initially named the Prince of Wales Quays, were constructed south of the entrance to the Empress Dock and were completed by August 1895 and numbered as berths 34-36 and became home to Union Castle vessels bringing imports of fruit, wool grain and animal skins from South Africa, as well as significant passenger numbers to and from the corner of the Empire. Trade was such that the quays were widened in from 1939 and reopened in 1940. While this work was in progress, Union Castle ships transferred their operations to the New (Western) Docks at berths 106 and after moving to berths 102-104, remained there afterwards.

See the full article at:
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/features/southampton_docks/
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 October 14 18:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for such a quick and very interesting reply. From the map, it dosent look as if I'll be able to get anywhere near to where I took my first steps in England! Carolmc

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 October 14 21:35 BST (UK) »
Yes, you can, within about half - three-quarters of a mile!  If you go to Mayflower Park down on Southampton Water and walk towards the Western Docks, you can't miss the enormous cruise liners that come in there now, but essentially those berths are in the same place as the berths mentioned by KGarrad.  The park is very pleasant on a sunny day.

The Odeon cinema near the Cruise Liner Terminal is probably a bit closer - there's an enormous car park right next to it.

Nell

Added: there are some excellent aerial pictures of the Western Docks in the late 1940s on this site:

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/

Use the search term 'Western Docks Southampton' - there is even a Union Castle ship in one of them. I remember looking out for these ships as we went through Southampton on the train on the way to Dorset for our bucket-and-spade holiday when I was a child.  We always had a check list: first to see a green bus, first to see a ship at Southampton etc.
 :)
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 October 14 10:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you all again for the info. On Friday we were able to visit Southampton and found the Mayflower Park, which was as near as we could get to where I think was the correct place. We also saw "Union Castle House" and the railway station, so my quest has been successfully fulfilled. Carolmc

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 October 14 22:52 BST (UK) »
That's good to know - I'm glad you were able to get that close.  :) :

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk