Author Topic: Help please ...  (Read 3680 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please ...
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 09:45 BST (UK) »
An old OS 6 ins to mile  map (1950) on this site has the building on the site you mention as Lindum Lodge:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/101589077

Zoom in to max and you'll see it

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 13:15 BST (UK) »
Lindum Lodge (Lindum Cottage in 1957 directory) was actually 33 Sewell Rd, the residents being given as Miss D WEST and Thos H TIMMS. (no other description)

Cold Bath House (opposite) was bombed during WW2 and ceased to exist.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 19:07 BST (UK) »
That's the same map as my link, Geoff - 1948/1950 6 ins. So where on earth was 103 - all the maps point to that site  ::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 May 14 08:29 BST (UK) »
That's the same map as my link, Geoff - 1948/1950 6 ins.

My map was actually 25 inch and prewar. ;)

Pic is from 1957 directory.  The only other thing on that side of the road was County Hospital (from which I was discharged fifty years ago yesterday).

The "names" part of the directory has the man has Thomas Harry TIMMS.  Perhaps he was 1896-1993 of which Ancestry (to which I don't have access) has photos and several mentions.  Does Ancestry have any mention of his profession?  Perhaps he was just a man in lodgings.  :-\

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 May 14 08:43 BST (UK) »
Goodness - I was just about to get ready for university then  ;D

So, 103 doesn't appear in any directories either - very odd*. What number would Coldbath House be?

Was there a renumbering - 103 = 33  :-\

PS -  are you sure it's 25 ins to the mile - my link, when enlarged, has more detail. I'm not doing a clip because of Copyright.

PPS - Royal Mail only list 1-90 Sewell Road in Post Code Finder

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 May 14 09:02 BST (UK) »
Goodness - I was just about to get ready for university then  ;D I had A-levels imminent, so the fact that I was being treated for concussion had my parents worried.

So, 103 doesn't appear in any directories either - very odd*. What number would Coldbath House be?

Was there a renumbering - 103 = 33  :-\  With so few houses, hardly worth the bother.

PS -  are you sure it's 25 ins to the mile - my link, when enlarged, has more detail. I'm not doing a clip because of Copyright.  Quite sure, note that St Annes Bedehouses are shown with dividing lines.  Wiki tells me
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]"Since most Ordnance Survey maps have been published and and are classed as literary or artistic works produced by a government organisation, not one indentifiable person, Crown Copyright on them expires 50 years after the end of the calendar year in which a mapsheet was first published (so a reprint does not in itself create a new copyright)."[/color]   That's the assumption I work on. :)[/color]

PPS - Royal Mail only list 1-90 Sewell Road in Post Code Finder Even numbers in 1957 - 2, 62, 72 to 86, 90

Note I added a bit to previous post.

My source of maps is here (choose map on the right) http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=498537,371647

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 May 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
got to go off now, but could you possibly find who lived in the higher 'odd numbers' . I'm wondering if there's a bit of an error in damson's info about 103.

Where did the 103 come from, damson?

Gadget

will check Timms' occ when I get back, if no one else has.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 May 14 09:38 BST (UK) »
got to go off now, but could you possibly find who lived in the higher 'odd numbers' .

There were none.  :-\

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 May 14 10:03 BST (UK) »
The "names" part of the directory has the man has Thomas Harry TIMMS.  Perhaps he was 1896-1993 of which Ancestry (to which I don't have access) has photos and several mentions.  Does Ancestry have any mention of his profession?  Perhaps he was just a man in lodgings.  :-\

The tree that has the photos doesn't mention Lincoln, never mind a profession! ???
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)