Author Topic: Scottish soldier  (Read 1846 times)

Offline sharronjury

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scottish soldier
« on: Sunday 23 February 14 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction. I have a Scottish ancestor who was in the military who had a child in Dublin in 1812, one in Guadalupe in 1814 and then two in Barbados in 1817 and 1819. Was it common for wives to travel with their husbands and what units would have been involved in all those places?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish soldier
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 February 14 09:36 GMT (UK) »
In relation to the first part of your question, a certain number of wives were allowed to follow the army. I have an ancestor in the 10th Regiment of Foot who had a son born in Sicily in 1808 and a daughter born in France.

Although he was a native of Aberdeenshire, both he and his brother served in an English based regiment. There is no guarantee that your ancestor would have actually served in a Scottish regiment. Lots of Englishmen served in the Scottish regiments too.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 February 14 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Info re the Invasion of Guadeloupe here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Guadeloupe_%281810%29

Which states:
"men belonging to the 3rd, 4th, 6th and 8th West India Regiments, the 1st Foot, 15th Foot, 19th Foot, 25th Foot, 63rd Foot, 90th Foot and the Royal York Rangers, as well as 300 garrison artillerymen and various militia forces."

Presumably, some of these stayed on until the defeat of Napoleon in 1814?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline sharronjury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 February 14 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your help. I have a photo of this man in a kilt, with a gun at his side so I presumed it was a scottish regiment. I wonder if it is possible to identify from the photo?

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 February 14 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If you post the photo on the armed forces board on this site someone will probably be able to identify
the photograph

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the Archivists at the Museum at Edinburgh Castle.  Worth a try - their knowledge is very varied and extensive regarding Scottish regiments, etc

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 20:26 GMT (UK) »
hi,,what is his name?  when and where was he born?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sharronjury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 March 14 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions. His name is John Isles. He was born in 1776 in Clayworth Nottinghamshire and died in 1841. The latter children in the family were born in Leith.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 March 14 10:16 GMT (UK) »
If your man died in 1841, he cannot be the one in the photograph.

Wikipedia says that the first photograph of a person was by Daguerre in 1838; he photographed a street scene with an exposure time of about ten minutes, so most of the people and moving vehicles in the street were not recorded, but one man who was having his boots polished stood still long enough to be captured in the image.

Portrait photography was not really practicable until the technology had moved on to the point that exposures measured in seconds rather than minutes became possible.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.