Author Topic: Semple and O'Boyle  (Read 3322 times)

Offline erthomas

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Semple and O'Boyle
« on: Tuesday 20 September 05 05:49 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on the families of Thomas P. Semple his wife Agnes and his cousin John O'Boyle.  John, Agnes, and 4 of her children traveled to the US in 1923 on the SS Megantic to meet Thomas in Ohio.  The ship manifest says that their closest relatives are Thomas' mother living in Dalmuir and John's wife in Rutherglen, no names given for either.  Thomas, Agnes, and John were all born in Ireland but Thomas and Agnes' children were born in Scotland.  James P. about 1914, Jeenie (or Jean) about 1916, Thomas about 1918, and Jack about 1920.  Any help would be appreciated.

Erin
Baggett, Beedon, Boddaugh, Bowman<br />Cain, Cannell, Carpenter, Clague, Cottier, Cowen, Craine, Creer, Cubbon<br />Doyle<br />Hartrick<br />Juke<br />Kaighin<br />McLaughlin, Martin, Moore, Murphy<br />O'Boyle, O'Donnell, Owen(s)<br />Quilliam<br />Radcliffe, Ratzel<br />Semple, Sewell, Shimmin, Snider, Spence, Stevens<br />Taylor, Thomas<br />Walters, Watterson, Wells<br />Younker<br /><br />..............should i continue?  :P

Offline CJSemple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Semple and O'Boyle
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 October 05 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin
My name is Connie Semple, the wife of Thomas P. Semple, son of James P. Semple and grandson of Thomas P and Agnes McLaughlin Semple.  I am happy to share any information with you that I have available.

Offline erthomas

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 March 06 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help?!?! Connie hasnt been on in months and I have no way to contact her.  Can anyone else possibly help me with this family?  Since my first post I have learned that Thomas Semple's wife was Agnes McLaughlin and John O'Boyle was her cousin from her mom's side.  Thomas' parents are James Semple and Margaret O'Donnell, Margaret died in Dalmuir Scotland in 1926.  Agnes' parents were John McLaughlin and Jane O'Boyle.  I still do no know where any of these individuals were born, im not sure if it was Ireland or Scotland,  and it seems that I keep going in circles with them :(

erin
Baggett, Beedon, Boddaugh, Bowman<br />Cain, Cannell, Carpenter, Clague, Cottier, Cowen, Craine, Creer, Cubbon<br />Doyle<br />Hartrick<br />Juke<br />Kaighin<br />McLaughlin, Martin, Moore, Murphy<br />O'Boyle, O'Donnell, Owen(s)<br />Quilliam<br />Radcliffe, Ratzel<br />Semple, Sewell, Shimmin, Snider, Spence, Stevens<br />Taylor, Thomas<br />Walters, Watterson, Wells<br />Younker<br /><br />..............should i continue?  :P

Offline smbenm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 March 14 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Erin,
            My great grandmother was Mary Semple from Manorcunningham, Co. Donegal. She was a sister of James Semple who married Margaret O'Donnell in Raymoghy parish on 4/8/1890. Their parents were William Semple and Margaret McCobb. The family is listed as living at Main St. Manorcunningham on the 1901 and 1911 Census of Ireland .  William Semple and Margaret McCobb had 14 children, or thereabouts, the names are James b. 1864, Mary b. 1866,ann b. 1868, Daniel b. 1869, Samual b. 1874, Thomas b. 1876, William George b. 1876, John b. 1877, Patrick Neal b. 1879, Harry b. 1881, Margaret Jane b. 1882, Elizabeth b. 1884, Isabelle b. 1884, Joseph b. 1885, Edward b. 1893. THeir son James, who married Margaret O'Donnell are listed on the irish census of 1901 as living at Main St. Manor cunningham, and on the irish census of 1911 as living at Rawross, Cranford , Co. Donegal. Thier children are listed as : Annie b. 1892, Thomas Semple b. 1893, Francis b. 1896, William Semple b. 1897, Sarah J. b. 1900, Margaret Semple b. 1905.
See   http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/  A decendant of William George Semple , who is living in the U.S. is doing DNA reserch on the Semple family .

Regards

Siobhan

Offline CJSemple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 March 14 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Siobhan,
I am sorry to tell you that Erin was in a fatal car accident in 2008.  I appreciate your sharing your information.

My husband is a decedent of Thomas Patrick and Agnes (McLaughlin).  I recently gathered some of the information that you shared from 1901 and 1911 Irish Census.  Do you have any documentation that connects William and Margaret Semple to James and Margaret (O'Donnell) Semple?  I found them both in 1901 Irish Census living in close proximity to one another and assumed they were father and son.  However, I originally had Robert as the father of James.  Although, I have no documentation for this relationship.

I also noted that William and Margaret had 14 children in the census.  Where did you locate the names of the others? 

I appreciate any information that you can share.  My husband and I are planning a trip to Ireland for the summer and hope to see some of the sites of his ancestors.

You can contact me privately at (*)

Sincerely,
Connie Semple

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline smbenm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 March 14 16:38 BST (UK) »

Hi Connie,
I am so very sorry to hear that sad news about Erin. You just don't think about such possibilities when reading messages on the Internet. May she rest in peace.

Regarding sources :

Family knowledge of my own G.Grandmother Mary Semple and her sister Isabelle, who lived a couple of 100 yards from where I'm sitting now.

See Donegal Genealogy Resources - Raymohy -
       RC Baptisms St. Colomba's , Drumoghil 1856 - 1886 ( lists 12 children)
       Marriages extracted from the St Johnston Register relating to the Parish of Raymochy,
                                                                                                  Co      Donegal 1886 - 1926
      In those days, many of the children were sent into service in their early teens. You will find some of them listed as working at other houses on the night of the census, e.g. Bovairds, Hamiltons etc. THese were big farms that required help. Isabelle ( Bella ) was working in the Assylum in Letterkenny on the night of the census. Also, many of this family Emigrated to Scotland. In the Scottish Census of 1901, Mary is listed as living in Clydebank, Glasgow , with grandfather Edward Henry McCoy and two of his half siblings, Maggie J. Kee and Charles Kee. She kept a boarding house and Samual Semple and another brother are listed as boarders.

I would so like to hear about your branch of the family.

Regards

Siobhan