Author Topic: Boyce or Ray family in Mullingar, Rathaspick, Leny, Templeoran, & Templepatrick  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Danahar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello,
I am trying to find any info on the Boyce or Ray Family - the only thing I knew was Mullingar, but some names popped up in the towns of Rthaspick, Leny Templeoran and Templepatrick.

If anyone can tell me where I can get some info on them, I would appreciate it, I am going there to visit in July, and would like to see where they came from.

I have James Boyce and Jane Ray married, having the following information -
Ancestor's Parents: James Boyce, approx 1845
Jane Roy - approx 1839
Ancestor's Spouse: John Emory Matthews
Ancestor's Occuption: Upholsterer
Ancestor's Children: William b 1853
Bridget b 1858
Mary b 1861
Jennie b 1865
Michael b 1871
John b 1859
Ancestor's Date of Emigration: 1874

Thanks!
Dana

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
The best place to start is probably with any children born after the start of civil records in 1864 - so Michael and possibly Jeannie. You would need to check for church records for earlier details. Do you know what denomination your Boyce/Ray family were ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records
         My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Possible extracted civil births for two children are listed on the FamilySearch website,

Anne Boyce, born 19 Dec 1865, Multyfarnham, Co. Westmeath, Ref. 328 see : link
  Michael Boice, born 30 Jan 1867, Multyfarnham, Co. Westmeath, Ref. 355 see : link

Parents for both are : James Boyce/Boice & Jane Ray

The placename mentioned is probably the name of the sub-district that the births were registered, A research cert should give further details e.g. father's occupation, and a more detail location, likely the name of the town or townland they were born.  (The reference numbers in the extracted records are register page numbers, which help find locate the correct index record required to order a cert)

see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
         Details included on a Birth Cert

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

The RootsIreland index provides 6 hits for baptisms of children to parents James Boyce and Jane Ray in Co. Westmeath. They are pay per view to see the detail.  A couple of the baptism dates are contemporaneous to the Griffiths Valuation of the area, there are a couple of possible candidates, eg. James Boyce of Ballinalack, Leny and James Boyce of Mace, Rathaspick - the baptisms might indicate one of these.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
The RC parish for those possible baptisms is Multyfarnham RC, which covered several civil parishes including Leny. One of the James Boyce listings on Griffith's appears in Ballinalack village, in the civil parish of Leny - so quite possibly the entry for 'your' James. He is listed with just a house, and no land.

I think a civil cert would be more useful in establishing a location and occupation. RC Baptisms dont usually include father's occupation, and details of address/residence on these records can be quite basic.

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

The RootsIreland index provides 6 hits for baptisms of children to parents James Boyce and Jane Ray in Co. Westmeath. They are pay per view to see the detail.  A couple of the baptism dates are contemporaneous to the Griffiths Valuation of the area, there are a couple of possible candidates, eg. James Boyce of Ballinalack, Leny and James Boyce of Mace, Rathaspick - the baptisms might indicate one of these.

Forgot to say, some of the dates for the childrens' baptisms suggest their DOBs might be "out" from what you posted, you might just want to take note of them.