Author Topic: Mary COXWELL of Ryton  (Read 5351 times)

Offline raf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary COXWELL of Ryton
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 June 14 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

I fear we are straying off topic with all this information on the Westmacotts, so I suggest we continue via the personal message facility, which I have just used to reply to your last posting.

Regards, raf

Offline raf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 June 14 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi pwh

I managed to get down to Ryton church last Saturday and check Mary Coxwell's memorial for myself. It says that she died on 2 March 1776 in her 28th year and was the wife of James Coxwell, and the daughter of the late Thomas Le Clere of Newport in Shropshire and Ann Sansam of Atchley Manor, close to Ryton. From this I have worked out that James was the sixth child and second son of John Coxwell and Mary Westmacott, and therefore the cousin of the person who sculpted the memorial, Richard Westmacott. The two cousins lived close to each other in London – James worked as an apothecary on Lower Brook Street, and Richard as a sculptor on Mount Street, Pimlico. Mary was buried at Ryton because of her mother's connection with Atchley Manor, and it is possible that her mother was living there after her husband, Thomas, a surgeon, died in 1769. The church also contains a brass plaque recording the death of William Sansam of Atchley in 1723. He was probably Ann's grandfather. If you or anyone else would like more information about James and Mary Coxwell and their family, please contact me.

Offline pwh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 00:39 BST (UK) »
Raf
       That is great stuff.  Anymore you can give me is very welcome.  Since we last contacted
I have been researching the  Coxwell family in Australia.  I have found references  to  Anne
Coxwell  Forsters brother  John  Coxwell Forster  who died in Wagga Wagga  NSW in 1933.
The Australian National Library has a website that contains  an online  record of  most
Australian Newspapers going back to  1803.  They might take some searching but they are
a rich source of  family history.  If you google  John Coxwell Forster you   will see  a page
titled  John Coxwell Forster-Hoystead, another min e of information on  the extended  family
in Australia.
                                                                 Thanks
                                                                             Peter

Offline raf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 12:13 BST (UK) »
Here is the extra information about James and Mary Coxwell.

James Coxwell (1743-1787) was apprenticed for 8 years to a London apothecary, James Bromfield, on 7 June 1757. On 12 December 1769 he married Mary LeClere by licence at St George's Hanover Square, London. Mary was the daughter of Thomas LeClere, a surgeon of Newport, Salop. She was baptised on 10 Oct 1747 at Newport. Thomas LeClere married Anne Sansam on 30 Nov 1746 at St Leonard's, Bridgnorth. He died in 1769, and his PCC will was proved on 4 Oct 1769.

James and Mary had four children, all baptised at St George's Hanover Square: Ann (26.09.1770, died in infancy), Ann (19.03.1772), James (30.08.1773) and Catherine (09.07.1775, died in infancy). They lived on Lower Brook Street from at least 1772 (land tax records), and James practised as an apothecary. However in April 1782, he was declared bankrupt (London Magazine).

James died on 10 March 1787 according to a family tree on the Ancestry website, but I have not found any burial record, and no other details are known.

Of the children, James worked for the East India Company and was listed as Captain of various ships, including the Lady Raffles. He did not marry, and died in 1827 aged 55. He was buried at St George the Martyr in Camden on 31 October, and his address was given as New North Street. He made a will (PCC) in which he mentions his grandmother Ann LeClere, his nieces, Catherine and Ann Jones, daughters of his late sister Ann, and his brother-in-law, James Jones.

Anne Coxwell married a lawyer, Frederick Coningsby Jones of Gray's Inn, at St George's Bloomsbury on 4 June 1791. They had three children – Ann (1792), Catherine (1794) and Mary Margaret (1796).

Offline pwh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 June 14 04:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. There are some good web sites with  information on the Coxwell  family
in Australia. I will send you them in my next post.
                                                                               regards
                                                                                           Peter

Offline pwh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 July 14 16:13 BST (UK) »
raf
        Here are those sites I said I would send
www.geni.com/people/joseph-coxwell/60000000026199946953

www.reocities.comval_james/geanealogy/coxwell.html

www.hotstead.com/geanealogy/getperson.php?personid=114098tree

Also if you google the  trove newspaper on the website of the Australian National  Library
you will  find the obituary of   John Coxwell Forster  in  1933.

regards
                                                                                       peter