Author Topic: Cumming,John and or George Imlach, Banffshire  (Read 14853 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Cumming,John and or George Imlach, Banffshire
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 May 13 19:40 BST (UK) »
1851 John is born c 1801 Warwick, Banfshire, Jane c 1802 Warwick

Is that from an original, or from a transcription? Because I can't think of anywhere in Banffshire called Warwick. Could it be a very bad misreading of Marnoch?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 May 13 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, i now have Georges death date at 8 July 1873 so will try obtain a death cert, hopefully will have the info, thanks for your help. I noticed with the transcript of John And Jean (jane) they haven't a listed son George though.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 May 13 02:26 BST (UK) »
will try obtain a death cert

Hi,

It would be better to purchase the Death Printout rather than the Certificate.   For one thing, they are cheaper and it is a copy of the original entry and will usually have more information on it.  This can also be emailed to you. :D

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 May 13 14:18 BST (UK) »
Quote;
1851 John is born c 1801 Warwick, Banfshire, Jane c 1802 Warwick
Is that from an original, or from a transcription?

Hi Forfarian
Just from the transcription on Anc. I cant access the image.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 May 13 14:37 BST (UK) »
Just from the transcription on Anc

Don't trust it to be correct then. You can view the original at Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and make up your own mind.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 May 13 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, i will obtain a death cert and print out. The name Jean seems plausible as one of Georges daughters was called Annie Jean,the other Alice and son George Smith Cumming. Jean features in some of the other descendents as well. thanks for all your help with this. Will post any info i get from the certs.

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, i had another nice lady send me some info on Geneology.com. she has a John Cumming born 10/8/1871 Marnock, died 10/3/1873 Glasgow Lanark. Married Jean (jane) Jamieson 1819 Marnock.Jean born 1802 Marnock. A son James born 1 or 8 Nov 1822. So i have this and the 1851 census but unfortunately 1 before he was born and 1 after he would have left to join the Army.so i still cant find anything with George with his parents to totally verify this is one and the same.George was born 1825. on the 51 census the birth dates differ for John Cumming.Hoping something else will turn up.thanks for helping everyone.

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 June 13 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, I had some new information given to me by a fellow researcher regarding parents of George Imlach Cumming. They as yet have no concrete proof. John Cumming and Margaret Imlach Banff. It starts with George Imlach married ?.   One one of his children Andrew Imlach married Helen Cumine(Cumming)1801.  Had five children one being Margaret born 1807.  They apparently had several children one being George Imlach Cumming and Margaret.   As it only record we have on Georges' marriage and death cert as father John cumming we cant prove much, its frustrating.

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 June 13 05:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, regarding the post re John Cumming-Jean Jameison as George Imlach Cummings parents, i have discounted that as they have the death as in Tennessee USA.My one died 1873 NZ, but thanks for helping, much appreciated.