Author Topic: Catherine Forrest Alexander (1902 - ?)  (Read 7096 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Forrest Alexander (1902 - ?)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

If I was to hazard a guess, I would say that he went to Scotland for a while.

It's possible that he 'leased out' the butcher's business in Bishop Street - with the intention to return at a later date

Campbell's were mentioned on the link that I sent you and on the 1911 census there is a family of butcher's on Bishop Street

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_No__3_Urban/Bishop_Street/600172/

Another butcher's on Bishop Street

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_Urban/Bishop_Street/599491/

It might be worth asking to see is he listed on any trade directories - I know Shane one of the moderators is very good with directories.

Tara

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 15:20 BST (UK) »
LOL.... just looking at page 1 on 1901 results you'll see one with Buick as a christian name...that is his surname and I was looking for him!! He has George Alexander as his surname which is why it appears on your results....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 15:24 BST (UK) »
The name of Landowner hasn't been filled in for any of Bishop Street, how annoying is that, if he did lease out the shop, assuming he owned it his name would be down as landowner but it's all blank.

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary (Johnston) Alexander (Oct 1845 - Oct 1934)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 15:48 BST (UK) »
Eek, I've gathered a crowd of helpers!

Thank you all so much for the help and links and advice. It might well be worth me looking into some census returns outside of Ireland, as well as contacting the heritage centre directly, and searching the trade directories sounds like another good lead to go off. I've got a task ahead of me for this lot and their missing years, it seems, but who would get into genealogy if it was easy?!

And glad you managed to find your missing man, hallmark. They're hiding everywhere, aren't they? I just tracked down a first cousin x3 on my Gallaugher side while searching through WW1 graves for another relative.

Thank you all again!
Wales - Moses, Morgan, James, Williams, Thomas, Miles, Davies [South]
Isle of Man - Mylchreest, Kneale, Clague, Callister, Cowin, Oates, Kelly, Gelling, Cubbon, Comish, Gell, Harrison, Costain [South]
Scotland - Alexander, Johnston, Scotland, Muirhead, Dow, Forrest [Central]
Ireland - Alexander, Morrison, Gallaugher, McCrabb, Smyth [Ulster]
Canada - Alexander, Mylchreest [Manitoba, BC]
USA - Alexander [North/Northeast]

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 18:08 BST (UK) »
There is a listing for James' will in the PRONI calendar of wills I think http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx

Sorry, it just wouldn't link properly for me to his entry. There is an 1924 listing for a Catherine F. Alexander in the same database. I don't see a 1924 death entry for her on Family Search but could this be her?

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Sonas!

Don't worry about the entry not linking, I had a quick look with just his name and his year of death and only two popped up, only one in Londonderry with a spouse named Margaret! I think that's got to be him.

I'll have a look for the Catherine entry now. I don't know exactly when she died but, according to family tales, it was shortly after the inheritance was sorted out, so 1924 does sound quite likely.

Thank you!

ETA:

Had a quick look at the Catherine entry. Not sure who William J. Hayes is, and without any more details I can't be certain that it's her, but it's definitely something to keep in mind. I'll try and check out the address.

Many thanks!
Isle of Man - Mylchreest, Kneale, Clague, Callister, Cowin, Oates, Kelly, Gelling, Cubbon, Comish, Gell, Harrison, Costain [South]

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 23:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry, it just wouldn't link properly for me to his entry. There is an 1924 listing for a Catherine F. Alexander in the same database. I don't see a 1924 death entry for her on Family Search but could this be her?
The online civil registration index only goes up to 1921 for Northern Ireland counties.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline eaumarg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 November 14 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Your Catherine McInnes Nimmo  born 24 November 1862 to William Nimmo and Catherine Forrest is in my family.   I don't know what happened to her daughter other than what you already wrote.  My grandmother told me (40 years ago) that Catherine McInnes Nimmo married someone named Alexander who was a butcher and moved to Londonderry (that's all she said).   So you certainly have the right family.
I have the 1850 family bible of William Nimmo and Catherine Forrest with births and deaths inscribed.
1.  William Nimmo and Catherine Forrest married 27 May 1857. Children William Nimmo born 1st March 1858, Elizabeth Nimmo born 19th January 1860, Catherine McInnes Nimmo born 24 November 1862.
2.  William Nimmo (1858) and Mary Allan married 7th September1886.  Children William Nimmo born 14th May 1888, James Allan Nimmo born 20th September 1889, Margaret Ritchie Nimmo born 18th March 1891 (my grandmother), Catherine Nimmo born 6st April 1893, Archibald Forrest Nimmo born 26th April 1900.
 You spoke of an aunt that Catherine might have gone to live with in
Scotland .   Catherine Forrest Alexander's aunt on her mother's side would have been Elizabeth Nimmo (right?) or even her brother William's wife Mary Allan.  I don't know who Elizabeth Nimmo married. 

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 November 14 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eaumarg!

Thank you for getting in touch! I have a few image scans etc to share if you want them for your tree. I also have a photo of Catherine McInnes Nimmo's daughter with my Alexander ancestor if you wanted to see it. I probably don't have much you haven't already seen document wise, but if you're interested please PM me here and I'll pass along my email so I can send you the scans.

Sian