Author Topic: O'Connell Ancestors  (Read 3535 times)

Offline Marié de Vries

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Connell Ancestors
« on: Friday 12 December 14 14:41 GMT (UK) »
I am Marié de Vries from South Africa a descendant of Dr. Geoffrey O'Connell from Hillgrove, Ireland. Dr Geoffrey had a medical practice in France during the Reign of Terror 1793 and was captured and held in the Bastille. He was a kinsman of Daniel O'Connell and Count Daniel Charles O'Connell. After his release, he went back to Hillgrove, Ireland. He was married to Elizabeth Anne Ross and they had 3 children, Michael 1804, John 1811 and Elizabeth Anne 1813. After his death, his widow and children came to South Africa about 1820. I am a descendant of his son John.  I just came back from Ireland and visited county Kerry, especially Cahirsiveen where the O'Connells operated. At the moment I am trying to find out who Dr Geoffrey's parents were and if there are still any relatives living in Carhirsiveen or County Kerry or for that matter any O'Connell that can be of help.  Thank you trying to help me.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: O'Connell Ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 December 14 08:59 GMT (UK) »
His Irish death certificate would have his parents names on it
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 December 14 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Ireland, Calendar of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1920
Geoffrey O'Connell
Probate
Cork D.R Will 1920
Grant 11 Nov 1920
Killarney,Kerry
Executors    Elizabeth O'Connell
John O'Connor

His Irish death certificate would have his parents names on it

The Geoffrey O'Connell who died in 1920 cannot be the Geoffrey O'Connell born in the 1700s. Also, Irish death certificate do not list names of parents.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Marié de Vries

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 December 14 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for response. Much appreciated. The doctor Geoffrey O'Connell that I am looking for was born abt 1750 and died abt 1813 and married Elizabeth Anne Ross born 1775 Chatham, Kent, England.  They were married in 1803.  Possibly it was his second marriage. Apparently he was a kinsman of Daniel O'Connell, the Liberator, and it is possible that he was a cousin/nephew of Daniel.According to our family research, Elizabeth Anne Ross was baptised in the Church of Mary the Virgin, Dock Rd, Chatham,Kent, England. Further information that we have is that their three children were born and baptised at Hillgrove, Ireland.  I will, however, follow up the information regarding the D.R. Geoffrey O'Connell who died in Cork 1920, he may just be family of my doctor Geoffrey O'Connell. Thank you for the time taken to reply.   Marié de Vries

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 December 14 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Since Hillgrove is in Co. Kerry it would be better to move this topic to the Kerry board- just click on 'report to moderator' and one of them will be able to do that for you.

The dates here are well before civil registration in Ireland which makes it difficult. Church records may not survive and of thise that do not all will be online. Have you checked for church records yet?

Not sure if this is your post on another forum- if not looks like a relative to get in touch with so that you can compare notes-
http://www.familytreecircles.com/dr-geoffrey-jeffrey-o-connell-married-to-elizabeth-anne-ross-abt-1803-60231.html

Bit about O'Connell here-
http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=1828

Have you checked any newspapers yet to see if anything appears about your Geoffrey O'Connell?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!