Author Topic: Donagheidee, Ireland  (Read 11053 times)

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Donagheidee, Ireland
« on: Monday 02 July 07 18:14 BST (UK) »
On the English 1891, an ancestor has quoted his birth place as above.

I'm assuming it could be Donaghadee.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks
Genealogists don't die, they just lose their census.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Donagheidee, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 July 07 18:45 BST (UK) »
yes look up Ros Davies Co Down website [useing Google]for placenames, churches for church records, and the surname you are not helping us with.
good luck, jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 07 19:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

The name is John Moreland born abt 1838 in Donagheidee, Ireland.  In the 1871, 1881 and 1891, he's a shipwright.

I'll have a look at the website you suggested.

Thanks again.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 July 07 21:33 BST (UK) »
You should have found only a couple of references in Ros Davies to Moreland in Donaghadee, however Ballywalter Parish  is not far away.

A manuscript MORELAND family tree exists in volume 14p128 {but I think it has to do with a place named Carnbane] in appear in Blackwood Family history manuscript trees in LinenHall library, Belfast.  I would eave this until you get stuck, then it might be worthwhile asking them for photocopying estimates if they think your knowledge relevant and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing. However if the material is really relevant when you get it, I suggest a further donation to this unique library that is always needing extra funds. Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, Telephone: +44 (0)28 9032 1707,  Fax: +44 (0)28 9043 8586, Email:info[at]linenhall.com.

However From www.historyfromheadstones.com/
Donaghadee CI Donaghadee Donaghadee HERRON, MORELAND, GARDNER, PATTON   
Donaghadee CI Donaghadee Donaghadee MORELAND, JESSUM   
Donaghadee CI Donaghadee Donaghadee QUINN, MORELAND

Another clump of Morelands exist in Ballyhalbert parish a bit further south.   
I think you are off to a good head- start.  These Donaghadee entries can be looked up by fee payment, but they were also published in vol 16 of the Co Down Gravestone series edited by Richard Clark for Ulster Historical Foundation. Ros davies will tell what records exist in churches etc. They may have a copy for sale.
Good luck, onwards, Jim
worldwide

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 July 07 22:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much!

My first step is to find out the parents of John Moreland born 
1838.  Once I find that out, I'll do as you've suggested.

He's not one of my ancestors.  Its for an OAP friend of mine, so I'm not sure how much she'd want to go back..if it becomes too expensive!

Thank you so much - she'll be thrilled (and so am I!)

Offline Bagpuss_Janet

• RootsChat Member
  • Henry (Harry) Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 August 07 18:58 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the same info as you! (Sadly, to no great success).

I have  John Moreland born 1838 and he's down as being born in Donagheidee and is a shipwright - it must be the same census.

This is my husband's family.  John Moreland was his great-great-great Grandfather on his father's side!

I'm not having any success.  This is the first Irish relative I've come across and I've only started researching the Morelands this week.

I have him in 1861, 1871, 181, 1891 and 1901 - do you need any info from these census returns?

What a coincidence.  If I find anything out I'll be sure to let you know.  :)
BALL - Kent (and a bit of Essex!)
BELL - Suffolk
BENDALL - Somerset
DARTNELL - Kent
DOWNING - Yorks
DRIVER - Kent
GROVE - Staffs
LIVERMORE - Kent (and a bit of Essex!)
LOVELL - Kent, Somerset
MINDHAM - Yorks
MOON - Berkshire, Cumbria, Kent, Lancs, Somerset, Staffs
MORELAND - Ireland, Liverpool, Essex
WALKER - Suffolk, Norfolk, Kent
WALTER - Kent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 09:09 BST (UK) »
Do look at www.yorick.plus.com/Donaghadee/FrameSet.htm  One of the three photos is  1774. This is Samuel Moreland's burying place wherein is interred his wife Rebecca Moreland alias Jessum
Have fun, Jim
worldwide

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 20:04 BST (UK) »
I'm PM'ing Bagpuss with info.

BallyaltikilliganG:  Thanks for that info. 

Unfortunately, we're having trouble finding John Moreland's English (Essex?) death certificate which hopefully will give us the name of his father so that we can go back to Donaghadee for a further generation.  All of the stones given on the website you gave are a bit too early (as John was born in 1838) but I've kept the info on file....just in case!

Thanks again.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 22:26 BST (UK) »
If there is no civil record extant my way forward would be chasing the only other record if available ie church records. But which church denomination is the next question and then knowing that burials in the past say have been made in a graveyard, doesn’t mean the denomination of the person is the same as the graveyard. So its useful to find out if the family was Church of Ireland, Presbyterian, Methodist, Roman Catholic etc
Yorick or Bill Cardwell, the photographer doesn’t name the graveyard, so I think it will be probably Church of Ireland.  You could email Ros Davies asking for a lookup of UHF Vol 16 that will possibly identify the denomination.  If you cannot find the denomination then you will have to contact each church and pay for a lookup.  Some website  records might identify which church eg  I understand www.familysearch.com uses batch numbers for each church. To find out about that use a search engine like google with search terms familysearch + Batch numbers

Ros Davies website often gives church records, and you are in luck
Donaghadee Church of Ireland  just to the W of Main Street in Church Lane.  Baptisms & burials from 1771 , marriages from 1772; graveyard attached; gravestone inscriptions available UHF Vol 16; email me for a gravestone look-up

1st Presbyterian Church in the centre of Donaghadee town in High Street next to the Town Hall. Records from 1849; no graveyard
http://www.presbyterianireland.org/congregations/donaghadee1.html

2nd Presbyterian Church, at the northern extremity of Donaghadee town in Warren Road/ Shore Street, on the sea shore,  Records from 1805; no graveyard

Methodist Church in Mount St., Donaghadee town across from Church of Ireland Graveyard separate; gravestones UHF Vol 17

Now looking at Greyabbey the same will apply eg

Grey Abbey ruins on the southern side of the village
Gravestones UHF Vol 12; email me for a gravestone look-up

Greyabbey Church of Ireland- St Saviours.  the church stands on a hill at the eastern side of the town in Ballywalter Road near the old abbey.   Records from 1807; graveyard nearby; gravestones UHF Vol 12; email me for a gravestone look-up; North of Ireland FHS holds baptism 1807- 1815 & 1820- 1863; marriages 1807-1844; burials 1808- 1873 & confirmations 1823,1827,1831, 1836, 1841, 1844

Presbyterian churches in Greyabbey have records Records from 1875, no graveyard

Lastly I am looking up the townland Cardy, in case its closer to another church, Ros Davies parish map shows townland Cardy is on the outside edge of the parish nearest to the Ballywalter area  which might mean something yet. Ros Davies says
Cardy/ Cardie  Grey Abbey 21: 58/70 village & townland; 3km N of Grey Abbey; 513 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' the forge'; a grant from King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomery in 1623 V17 p 123 & V7 p 68 OSM; PNNI V2 p 206

The church records will not be free, unless family search.com or PRONI have copies
Google search did produce many here are samples a few
ireland - pafg27 - Generated by Personal Ancestral FileAgnes MORELAND was born about 1843 in , , Down, Ireland. ... F, i, Mary MCKAY was born on 04 May 1865 in Cardy, Greyabbey, Down, Ireland.[Notes] ...
freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fremac/ireland/pafg27.htm
Moreland Hugh Greyabbey, of Cardy; leased a house & 17 acres in 1863 from Lord Dufferin .. Antrim; iron dresser; Church of Ireland; husband of Eliza b. ...
freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/M/Moreland.htm [ More results from freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ]
Brennen Family Chronicles - Christopher E. BrennenIsaac John Moreland was born in 1850 in Ireland. .... Greyabbey, to Ellen Robinson from Cardy, Greyabbey, whose father was the farmer James Robinson. ...
www.dankat.com/brennen/apdx5a.htm
Brennen Family Chronicles - Christopher E. Brennen Isabella Gibson married William Milligan in Donaghadee Church of Ireland on Jun.5, .... full age, spinster, of Cardy, Greyabbey (father: James Robinson, ...www.dankat.com/brennen/file5c.htm

Extracts from the Griffiths Valuation of IrelandGriffiths Valuation of Ireland - Grey Abbey, County Down ..... Cardy Grey Abbey Down Moreland Andrew Ballyboley Grey Abbey Down Moreland Hugh Cardy Grey ...www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/down/greyabbey.
Beaver County, PA. Genealogy Queries Surnames DDzula, Jula Michelle Moreland Orlando Researching the Jula family that ... 1790 in Ireland. (Came to the US between 1822 & 1830 in Beaver, Pennsylvania. ...
www.flealess.org/beaverquery/archives/D
Keep going, Jim
worldwide