Author Topic: death of susan kelly  (Read 2194 times)

Offline cathy52

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
death of susan kelly
« on: Saturday 25 October 14 14:21 BST (UK) »
i am trying to find the death of my gt aunt susan kelly who was born 1900 in ayrshire scotland, i cant find her death cert in scotland and was wondering if maybe she went back to her mothers place of birth which was banbridge co down where there would have been family her mother was sarah potts sarahs parents were william potts[poots] her mother was mary scott. i have found susans sons death he died 1970 dunoon scotland on his death cert his mother is deceased and still under her maiden name as her son was illegitamit.havent a clue where she went could somone give me advice. thanks  ???

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: death of susan kelly
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 October 14 14:29 BST (UK) »
The online (free) civil registration index only goes up to 1921 for Northern Ireland counties.
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1408347

There's also GRONI's new site (deaths 50 years old or more).
https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

Who was informant on son's death certificate? if a relative there might be someone in the family with more information or clues.
Have you considered the possibility that Susan could have married after her son was born?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cathy52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 21:50 GMT (UK) »
hi aghadowey, the informant on susans sons death cert was his lawyer and his mother was deceased and down as susan kelly. thanks for your reply. susan is my brick wall as she is a mystery to me. :'(

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 November 14 08:48 GMT (UK) »
I notice many Susan Kelly deaths in England recorded up to 1970 in www.freebmd.org.uk eg  by using their birth yr, you can detect some born about 1900 for example
Deaths Jun 1968   (>99%)
KELLY    SUSAN I    68    WINCHESTER    6B   804
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline cathy52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 December 14 02:37 GMT (UK) »
hi ballyaltikilliganc,can you actually get on to the original cert on the freebmd org tried but couldnt do it. :'(

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 December 14 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy52, the free index can be helpful but here is how it works in practice.

The FreeBMD database is an electronic version of the index created by the GRO (General Records Office) which has been produced by the FreeBMD project using the efforts of thousands of volunteers who have given their time to provide you with access to this valuable resource of information (to join them click here). Information on the GRO index is contained here.
It is important to understand that the FreeBMD index is a transcription of the GRO index - it contains the same information (errors and omissions excepted) as the GRO index and is organised in the same way (e.g. by quarters). The FreeBMD project does not have access to any other information.
The FreeBMD database contains currently contains 242,841,442 distinct records (309,022,388 total records), and it is important that you specify your search properly in order to ensure that;
Your search does not return excessive numbers of records
You don't miss the record you want
You should also note that the FreeBMD transcription of the GRO index is an on-going project and not all of the index has been transcribed; please see here for more details.

The GRO has its own website for ordering up certificates
https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate
To order a copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate
You’ll need to register on the General Register Office (GRO) website to order a copy of a birth, adoption, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate in England and Wales.
Certificates cost £9.25.
You can use this service to help you research your family tree[no explanation follows]

Hoping you break the brick JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide