Author Topic: Glenelg  (Read 8089 times)

Offline Alwina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Glenelg
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 March 09 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks again for all your hard work. The marriage you found is the right one Charles Alfred Jones was born on10th July 1869 at Marylebone to Alfred Charles Jones and Sophia Mary Miller. He married Clara Walker on the 10th July 1889, they had 5 children
Clara 04.08.1889
Harry A.V  08.08.1893 (my grandfather)
Blanche 16.04.1896
Charles Thomas 16.04.1899
James Cecil 10.07.1901
Charles inherited his fathers estate on his mothers marriage to Arthur Walker (his wifes brother) which was allegedley a great deal of money as Alfred had owned tea plantations! This he proceeded to blow by gambling every night. He left Clara when the baby was about 6 months old not to reappear till after the war, married to Amy for this he was imprisoned. He died 9th October 1922.
The witness on his death certificate is Robert Walker his brother who had changed his name from Jones.
Regards
Alwina
Kemp. Bloom. Reynolds. Saul. Norfolk
Cathie Durham.Ireland.London
Walker. London
Cutts. Rawlinson. Suffolk
Langmead. London Dorset. Cornwall

census information Crown Copyright.
from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 March 09 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Wow Alwina!  For those of us with utterly boring ancestors, it's a pleasant change to read about some scandalous ancestors.  Though I was later told that one of my great-aunts (I knew her well) divorced her husband and married a bigamist ...
I knew her only by the surname of the first husband, father of her two children.

Hume, you've done a fantastic job.  Who knows what's yet to be found  :)
I never would have guessed Sylla for Zillah (the latter looks so biblical).

Great story.

JAP

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 March 09 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Indeed JAP. All these tales of secret marriages and inheritances really makes my tree pale in comparison. ;D

Please do update us if you find any more information; will be interested to know what did happen to Amy and Mary.

hume

Offline Rich Brown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 March 09 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Alwina.

Please excuse my writng again.  I am definately connected to the JONES and WALKER family.  My Paternal grandomother, Marguerite WALKER, married Granddad,  Joliffe John BROWN.

A number of the WALKERS emigrated to Canada.  In addition, the family tree is complicated by marriages and remarriages of one or two members!

I am still learning how to navigate around the Ancestry Roots Chat website, so excuse duplications / disjointed messages.

Cheers

Richard BROWN

Offline Alwina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 October 11 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Jap & Hume
Don,t know if you remember me but you gave me a great deal of help in 2009 regarding Amy Zillah Frazer. I haven't got far on her life but know that she died in 1969 still a Jones.
However I got lay wayed in my research by Charles Jones(my G.Grandfather) and his wife Clara Jones. Clara was Clara Walker daughter of Henry Walker and Elizabeth Wheeler. Elizabeth Wheeler had a brother Thomas Cathie Wheeler I won't say any more but google his name, I think this is probably the reason Charles left his wife......
All the best
Alwina
Kemp. Bloom. Reynolds. Saul. Norfolk
Cathie Durham.Ireland.London
Walker. London
Cutts. Rawlinson. Suffolk
Langmead. London Dorset. Cornwall

census information Crown Copyright.
from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Monkeygirl10

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 April 14 02:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you fascinating ancestral history.Clara was my great grandmother & Blanch my grandmother.  It's been challenging finding info on Jones especially since Blanch was born in Bristol. Would live any further info on this branch of my tree? Cheers Margie :) Ironic my brother lives around the cnr from National Archives in Kew & juat there last Nov. Would have visited Simpsons in strand & other historical kinks too. Loving reading about the association with DDickes too.

Offline Waussie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 July 15 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Alwina, My Grandfather (Charles Evan Fraser) was a brother to your Amy Zillah Fraser. I've only found out about the the other Frasers in recent times as Charles moved to Australia in 1923. I was in contact with a second cousin in Glasgow who met Amy Zillah in 1957 and spoke of her. Unfortunately he passed away last December so trying to find out more about her is likely to prove difficult but it looks as though you have done well over the past 5 years or so tracking her past. Regards...Earle.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 12 July 15 22:19 BST (UK) »
Alwina, Glenelg probably refers to the parish rather than the village. The parish included Knoydart & North Morar and the latter was posessed by the Frasers of Lovat so maybe some connection there.

Skoosh.