Author Topic: Duncan Taylour 1766  (Read 3065 times)

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duncan Taylour 1766
« on: Sunday 16 March 14 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Duncan Taylour ( Shoemaker) b.1766 is the farthest have have gone on my tree. And I am stuck, all I know about him is he was born in 1766 in Skipness, Argyllshire. He married Annabel Campbell b.about 1770 Skipness.
They had 10 children
Efrick or Elfrieth Taylour c.31 May 1792 Skipness d. 1869. unmarried
Archibald Taylour c.1 March 1795 Skipness d. 8 Aug 1857 Saltcoats. Married Catherine Sinclair
John Taylour c.24 March1797 Skipness. d. 11Jan 1876 Saltcoats. Married ChristinaMcMillan
Duncan Taylor c. 24 March 1799 Skipness
Catherine Taylor c. 4 Dec 1801 Skipness
Gilbert Taylor c. 26 Nov 1803 Skipness d. 9 March1876 Glasgow. Married Elizabeth McKinnon
Mary Taylor c.18 Feb 1806 Skipness
Robert Taylor. c.25 Nov1809 Skipness. Occu. shoemaker
Annbela Taylor c. 1 Mar 1812 Skipness
Ann Taylor c. 21 March 1815 Skipness

Like to find out when Duncan Taylour died, his marriage date and who his parents were.
Thanks.
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan Taylour 1766
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Karykay,

I did some research of Taylors with  OPR michrofische in  2012 and listed Taylors from 1771to 1800 Duncan Taylour is actually Donald baptised 24 03 1799.  He was born at Colfine, Skipness which would have been the Estate as there is also South Colfine later spelling is Colfin.

familysearch.org may help with a marriage, deaths you may find with ralstongeneology which shows the graveyards in Argyll . St Brennans, Skipness is listed.

Hope this helps, 

Dooker

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dooker, I have come across the Duncan/ Donald name problem a few times. Is this a common mix up? Or has it to do with translation?

Karen.
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,  I have not found the mix up with Duncan and Donald.  A lot depends on what records you are reading.  Skipness/ Saddell Parish records have a lot of German in the way they were written.  Also the people spoke Gaelic little  English

You asked about finding the father's parents.  In Argyll they usually called the 1st son after the husband's grandfather and then the next  after the husband's father and so on.  They also went to Uncles before they used the wifes family.  Same route with daughters.  It was common practice  when a child died to name the next one of the same gender with that name, hense two children with the same name.   

As we all know everyone in the family were given the same names!!!!  Makes for great research.

Hope this helps with your search.   Dooker.

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 21:22 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks. That is interesting, I must write it on a piece of paper and stick it to my monitor so I do not forget the way the naming works.
Karen.