Author Topic: Westgate Street Ipswich  (Read 7170 times)

Offline Worlygigger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Westgate Street Ipswich
« on: Friday 30 August 13 09:48 BST (UK) »
Could someone tell me in which Civil Parish of Ipswich that Westgate Street was in, in 1861? I've lost a misspelt person who lived on Westgate Street and I don't want to have to comb the whole of Ipswich for one dwelling on Westgate Street!  Thanks!

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Westgate Street Ipswich
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 August 13 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

2 Westgate Street, St Mary Tower Ipswich     
4 Westgate Street, St Mary Tower Ipswich     
6 Westgate Street, St Mary Tower Ipswich     
8 Waterloo House Westgate Street, St Mary Tower Ipswich     
11 Crown And Anchor Hotel Westgate Street, St Mary Tower Ipswich     
Cross Yard Westgate Street, St Mary Tower Ipswich     
Crown And Anchor Tap Westgate Street, St Mary Tower Ipswich   

The rest of the street, mostly un-numbered, are in St Matthew, Ipswich

Hope this helps.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Worlygigger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 August 13 12:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Dawn!

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Worlygigger,

Sorry I can't help with your query, though I'm very interested in Suffolk's mills and millers, and your photo seems to be Worlingworth, New Mill.  Do you have any connection?

Cheers,
Windy Miller
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline Worlygigger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 September 13 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Windy,

How's the Fire brigade (pew, pew, barney mcgrew etc)!

Yes, there is a connection. I'm the Sec of Worlingworth Local History Group.

Any questions about the mill history in Worlingworth and I'll do my best to help.

Worlygigger

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 September 13 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Worlygigger,

Well I'm glad I could id. the village from the mill!

I've visited the site and chatted with Mrs. Greenard a few times.  Mainly interested in the old history of the mill, so more to do with the Old Mill.  The roundhouse still standing is the Old Mill.  I think the New Mill is little more than a feature in the garden next door along by 2.  I have Old Mill's millers as Mason (1801-08), Farrow (19-21), Mayhew (23-28), then a gap until Moulton (44-1912).  Any help with the pre-1801 millers or the gap between 1828-44 would be fantastic!

Cheers,
Widdy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine o'n dh'thainic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 September 13 21:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry to butt in on your thread, Worlygigger, but I wonder if I may ask WindyMiller if he knows anything about Alfred Arthur Laws, of Offton, who is recorded in the 1891 census as Grocer, Miller & Farmer - and in 1901 Farmer & Miller. I know that he and his wife also ran the village shop. What sort of mill would there have been at Offton, and does it still exist? Thanks.
Suffolk, England – Benstead, Boldero, Boldy, Boyns, Boynes, Collins, Cooper, Elliott, Fletcher, Laflin, Laws, Lankester, Markham, Marshall, Orriss, Steward, Taylor, Thimblethorpe
Scotland – Barclay, Campbell, Finlay, Freeland, Grove, Hay, Horn, Laird, McDonald, McKay, Milne, Mills, Peebles, Robertson, Shearer, Stewart, Strang, Thomson

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 September 13 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Janglaschu,

Always glad to help with milling questions...

Alfred Artur Laws was miller at Offton mills.

There were two post mills (like Saxted Mill, rather than Buttrums (tower in Woodbridge) or Herringfleet (Smock at Herringfleet).  He is believed to have come into the first mill (which might have been moved from Foxhall) and then bought and brought the second mill from Elmsett.  He is down as miller as far back as 1858 (but then a Mr. Henry Southgate from 1864-1869), and back again from 1874-1905.  I'd appreciate any ideas as to whether Henry Sothgate was related (often the case).

Both mills were gone by about turn of century or earlier (you could still be a miller if you had a shed, an oil engine and some stones).

There were some earlier millers recorded for Offton (John Gibson, 1758) and a William Mully was convited for stealing pollard (a poor flour by-product) suggesting the presence of a mill, in 1853.  Any help with these fellas would be fun.

Hope this helps,
Windy

Offline Worlygigger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 September 13 08:58 BST (UK) »
On the subject of the old Worlingworth mill, prior to James Mason, the picture is not clear, though I would suspect that if someone is recorded in the Overseers Accounts as 'grinding for the House', they are providing flour for the Poorhouse. I shall keep an eye open for any of these remarks that I come across.

From my research, after the death of James Mason in 1808, Richard Goymour, a miller, and his young family arrived in Worlingworth and he is recorded as follows: "in September 1811, the parish overseer ‘paid Richard Goymour for grinding for George Warne’s wife 4s 8d’ and in April 1814, ‘paid Goymer for 3 stone of meal for the (Poor) House 6 shillings’."

Goymour may have been superseded by John Farrow who was a miller from Stradbroke but Farrow died in 1824 aged just 33. Goymour could then have taken over the operation of the mill again. Interesting to note that Goymour received parish relief during the period that Farrow was working the mill. Perhaps Goymour wasn't very good at his job....

I'm interested in your reference to a Mayhew - where do you derive this reference from? I don't have any Mayhews during the period you mention. Although there is no firm evidence for the following, I believe that the next miller was Henry Moulton, who is recorded in the 1837 Tithe Map etc as occupying the Mill Cottage. He may have been assisted by his father Thomas who was only recorded as being a farmer in census records. The 1820s and 30s are always difficult years to tie down ownerships and occupations. Our overseers accounts book does not reach that period!

The Moultons continued operating the old mill into the 20th century when the family line eventually died out with a Thomas Moulton d 1921, by which time the Aldreds had ownership, followed by the Greenards.

Sadly Ethel Greenard died a few years ago - she told me one story of how the miller would always leave his bedroom in the middle of the night through a trapdoor and ladder into the sitting room below, in order not to disturb the womenfolk (servants) in the other bedroom (who apparently kept their door locked!)

It's all still there - Mill Cottage.

The new mill was erected in 1864 as follows:

"At a Vestry meeting held at the church this 28th day of July 1864, of which due notice was given, for the purpose of assessing the New Mill and Granary, recently erected on the premises belonging to Mr Samuel Meen and now in the occupation of Mrs Anne Moulton, it is agreed to assess the said Mill and Granary at £20 gross value, £14 rateable value." It was said that this new windmill came from Hasketon where it had been erected in 1830. I would assume that Samuel Meen was the son of the person who owned the mill 50 years previous though I'm not certain.