Author Topic: Stuart and Cass surnames Netherthong Yorkshire  (Read 4380 times)

Offline slc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stuart and Cass surnames Netherthong Yorkshire
« on: Sunday 06 March 11 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I live in Texas USA and have been wondering around Yorkshire for hrs trying to find out some information.... I am on the right board that I do know finally.

What I am looking for are possible births/deaths of some of children br to Wm Cass and Rebecca Stuart.  Rebecca was from Netherthong and Wm was from Malton Yorkshire .

Wm came from a family of stone masons... his father Michael was one.  He was a brick-layer between 1814 and 1816 in Old Malton, Yorks.  He was a mason in 1818 in New Malton
and his grandfather Anthony Cass * was born in Aug 1751 in New Malton, Yorkshire.(1) date estimate from baptism of son He died in 1825.(1)  I am not sure if he was or not.

Wm was a stone mason till the day he died in Kansas USA.

In Wm Cass's obit of Feb 1888 in Kansas USA it stated that he had 10 children br to him only 3 were living when he died...

We have 6 names of known children br to them... 1 child was br in Netherthong and the rest were br in Lincolnshire where they lived till they left England and went to Canada where another child was br there in 1857.

The child br in Netherthong was son James Michael Cass 

Micah Cass bp 5 Nov 1837 Netherthong, York
son of William & Rebekah Cass

In the 1841 census Wm and Rebecca were found here with a child named Rachel age 5

St Paul (in The Bail) Lincoln

William Cass 20
Rebecca Cass 20
Rachel Cass 5

William was a stone mason in this census all were not br in the county.

However by 1844 they were living in Lincolnshire till they came to Canada where a son was br in 1857 then in the US census of 1860 he and family were in New York State.  Hence the other known children were born there in Lincolnshire.

I have worn myself out looking for any info re this child Rachel Cass in the 1841 census and cannot find anything on her anywhere... she is not in the 1851 census nor other census's.

Rebecca Cass nee Stuart was br to this family and they were evidently no conformists

Rebecka Stewart is listed on the LDS site as being Chr at the Wesleyan Church on 25 June 1815
father Robert Stewart and mother Rebecka LDS Ref C088061

Siblings of Rebecka

Jane Stuart chr 15 July 1810
Ann Stuart chr 31 JAN 1813
Robert Stuert chr 03 MAY 1818
Susannah Stuart chr 26 SEP 1820
James Abraham Stewart chr 05 MAY 1822

Is this why I cannot find anything on Rachel Cass?  The records are not online?

Also there is a 6 year gap between the son James Michael br 1836 and his next sibling Robert T Cass br 1844 Lincolnshire that those 4 children might have been born and died in.  I can find nothing in Lincolnshire re Cass children br to them other than the other 4 br there that we know of and am thinking that they were born in Yorkshire.

These are the known children of Wm Cass and Rebecca Cass nee Stuart

James Michael aka Michael br Netherthong York 1837

Then almost 7 yrs later

Robert T br 1844 Lincolnshire
Mary R br 1846 Lincolnshire
Emma Jane br 1848 Lincolnshire
Wm H br 1852 Lincolnshire

Then almost 5 yrs later

Frederick W br 1857 Canada

At this time I do not know when they entered Canada from the UK and am trying to find some ship records for that so far nothing not very sharp about searching Canada yet... am learning tho

Can anyone tell me where to go look next?

Thank you
Sharon swtx

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Stuart and Cass surnames Netherthong Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 March 11 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon.

Without being too personnel! it depends on what you are prepared  to do regards funding your hobby. We get the Mega rich people to people who will do anything rather than buy BMD's certificates. Most county archives do searches of archives for overseas researchers but are very expensive and Libraries hold lots of Parish registers on micro film/fiche being they are much cheaper for searches.. Family history societies are the best port of call and have transcribed CD's/Books very reasonable to buy with of lot of BMD's MI's and loads of other info also have lots of info on computer. All these places can be googled

Huddersfield Family History society at Roots cellar Meltham Huddersfield etc for one.

This website covers noneconformist BMD's
http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/

Enter Just surname IE :- Cass

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm#PageTitle

Again enter Just surname only in Search these are IGI Parish by Parish this bring up all Siblings
Almondbury Anglican Parish covered Netherthong also check Netherthong  nonconformist chapels

Dave
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline slc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 March 11 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

I guess I didn't word my post right as what I need to know was the areas to search for info.  Not being from there I was at a lost as to locations to search for info.  Thats why I put what I knew about the family in the post.  Hoping that someone would say "Hey go here to look for info"  Which you kindly did.
It was the searching on internet to the right places and not running around in circles cause I was lost

Thankfully you were able to provide me some insight on where to look re names of locations. 
I now have a general idea of where to search. 

I know about the LDS Librarys as I use to use the one in the next town however I am sorta housebound at this time due to husbands health issues the last 2 yrs its not possible for me to get out as much as I use to  We go to hospital quite alot anymore and then back home.

So I thank you very much for taking the time to read my post and telling me of the places that I can start to look via the internet.

Have a good day there and enjoy your week

Am off to searching now Thank you

Sharon swtx

Offline mirf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 March 11 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have had alook at 1841/1851 now on 1841 census there is
a Rachel age 5  on 1851 there is a michael but where is he on
1841 census . Do you think that Rachel and Michael is the same person
 Just a thought Regards Philip
kilner ( Wombwell/Huddersfield )Atkinson Darley Yorks Fewston Shaw Mills Bishop Thornton Marsden (Masham)
Imeson Kirby Malzeard

Offline slc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 March 11 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I looked for him also and the only Michael that comes up is this one

St Mary Magdalen (in The Bail),  Lincoln

Michael Cass 50
Mary Cass 65  [if you look at the origional census page she is age 45  transcriber mistake
Jane Cass 20
Elizabeth Cass 10
Michael Cass 5
Margaret Langton Cass 5
Hannah Cass 5
Eliza Cass 3
Harriet Cass 4 MO

HO107/651/10 9 p 13

These are my Wm Cass's parents...

This census has me really confused as there are 3 children age 5 in it... But Michael Cass is their son he married a Sarah Chapman and died in 2nd quarter of 1894...so its not Wm's and Rebecca's son Jmaes Michael.

Maybe the census taker made a mistake in the 1841 census... I looked at the origional page and there is Rachel as big as life... am going back and look at the census pages 1 before and 1 after also and see if there is another Rachel on them

Maybe they got to talking and he forgot to put the rest of the info down on them so he just made the name up or something..or he met a Rachel and she was on his mind when he was doing their census info?.. I have worn my eyes out looking for a Rachel Cass and there just isn't any record for her...

Am in one of the sites that Dave told me about and there is no Rachel there...either down as Stuart Steward Stewart Cass. Nothing on the IGI either.

I guess the census taker might have made a mistake there.... don't know

The names and ages for Wm and Rebecca fit and the occupation of Wm and all 3 not br in County fit
Just the name and sex of the child is different.

Maybe I am on a wild goose chase here with Rachel Cass.

Sharon

Offline Armand1975

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 October 14 11:27 BST (UK) »
just seen this post as it mentioned my third great grandmother and just wanted to correct some info you had, her husband william cass was from Huntington in Yorkshire and was born in 1827 to thomas and Ann and married Sarah Chapman daughter of John Chapman from all saints York in the 1850`s they had several children Sarah, Jane, William, Harriet and Mary as well as my direct descendant Thomas Chapman Cass. The family moved to Liverpool where some stayed and some moved to America. From my Research i have found that there are two prominent areas for The cass family, One being Mine in Liverpool and the other being Lincoln due to one of thomas and annes other children called Thomas moving to this area. i know this post was initially written a few years ago but i hope you still read this site