Author Topic: Hirst,William b1832-1838  (Read 16498 times)

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Burg Crest Schleswig-Holstein
    • View Profile
Re: Joshua Hirst architect
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 16 October 14 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you one and all.
I have written to the RIBA to ask them if they have such a list of architects named Joshua Hirst.
I have also asked at Leicester University Local History unit.
I've also asked at the Leeds main library, in case they have any local directories.
My reason for asking here is to check if the Leeds reference (from William Robert's 1902 Death Certificate, with the informant being Joshua's grandson) had any legs. Essentially this is the family legend - but then, so also is the mention of Northumberland from 1867 marriage certificate.
My apologies for any confusion and repetition.
My only other clue - such as it is - is that on his death, one of the local newspapers asked for the death notice to  be placed in th Yorkshire papers also.
"HIRST.-On the 9th inst., at Melbourne, Mr. Robert William Hirst, aged thirty-five years, of the firm of Messrs. R. Hirst and Son, Leeds. Yorkshire papers please copy."  (Death Notice The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957) Tuesday 25 February 1868.)

So far a I can find on FreeReg, FreeCen and FreeBDM, there are no takers.
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 16 October 14 18:30 BST (UK) »
My only other clue - such as it is - is that on his death, one of the local newspapers asked for the death notice to  be placed in th Yorkshire papers also.
"HIRST.-On the 9th inst., at Melbourne, Mr. Robert William Hirst, aged thirty-five years, of the firm of Messrs. R. Hirst and Son, Leeds. Yorkshire papers please copy."  (Death Notice The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957) Tuesday 25 February 1868.)

(from William Robert's 1902 Death Certificate,

Who is the Robert William who died in 1868 aged 35? You have said on another thread that your William (or is he Robert William -or William Robert :-\ ) was aged 70 when he died.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 16 October 14 20:44 BST (UK) »
Yes, you are quite correct, the death notice here is irrelevant and is to be ignored.
My man, is William Hirst died 22 Sep 1902 at Tallangatta, Benambra, Vic, Aus. His son (William Henry Hirst) gives his father's age as 70 years, and has lived in Victoria for 50 years.
To me these are rounded figures, guesses, not accurate or truly known. Which is why William's birth date may have been as early as 1832; on the other hand my guess is that his marriage certificate (21 Oct 1867, MC 1867/4501; Newbridge, but resident at Bealiba, Victoria) provides his age as 29 years, which gives an estimated birth year of 1838.
The search is for Joshua Hirst, possibly an architect either in Northumberland or in Leeds or both; his wife Frances Dalton, and the birth of William either in Northumberland or in Leeds either pre-1832 or post 1838.
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 16 October 14 23:32 BST (UK) »
Just to give you more work to do, I would also be searching for variations of Hirst too - specifically Hurst.

As previously requested: do you have William's immigration and if so did it say where he was from and what was his age?

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 17 October 14 00:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks for the reminders - I did do a check on all variant spellings, with no result.
Immigration date is uncertain.
We did find two possibles but only one likely:
Immigration: 1842 or 1854 (age 24 (!)) to Sydney NSW from Liverpool (1842) or Southampton (1854).
An unknown HIRST arrived in SA 1842-12-01 aboard 'Glenarm' from Liverpool 1842-08-03. This person seems unlikely given the age (a child). From Ancestry data base there is: William Hirst, estimated birth year about 1830; age 24 from Southampton arrived at Sydney, NSW, 23 Oct 1854 on 'Calcutta.' This person is more likely but there are a number of inconsistencies with ages, birth years, age at marriage, age at death. (To be verified).
Another migrant (an unrelated enquiry) was also a powerful swimmer as no record of their authorised arrivals has been found. On the other hand, Ancestry and Find my Past rely on published records from regular departure points such as Liverpool or Southampton.
Are there migration records, not yet published on data-bases, from Yorkshire ports?
I appreciate the help

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 17 October 14 00:48 BST (UK) »
William died in 1902 and according to the informant (his son) had been in Victoria for 50 years. Of course this may just be his best guess and it is possible that William arrived in another State and spent time there prior to moving to Victoria.

But it's all you have to go on and you have to start somewhere.

So, that gives a possible date of 1852 for his arrival into Australia.

As a starting point I would look at the original immigrations that you have already found to see where these people came from and their occupations. This might eliminate some/all. I would also look at immigrations into Victoria around that time. Also look at who these William Hi(u)rsts are travelling with as you may find some clues there.

You mention Ancestry and FindMyPast - I would concentrate on arrivals in Australia rather than departures from the UK. They weren't too bothered about people leaving but the colonies were interested in arrivals so (generally) records were kept.  Of course many slipped through the net. William could have left from any port and as you have no idea where he was living there is probably no point looking for ports closest to Yorkshire, though as far as I am aware Liverpool and ports on the south coast were the main departure points. (others may know otherwise)

There is no such a thing as a list of all passengers who left the UK from a particular port.

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 17 October 14 04:49 BST (UK) »
Cheers Ruskie - very helpful hints; will see how we go.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 17 October 14 07:27 BST (UK) »
As you have several threads containing a lot of the same information (plus some red herrings/irrelevant info eg the bit about Robert Hirst), have you considered doing a time line or concise summary of what you know about your Hirsts?

It might be best to deal in the facts first, then maybe add some speculative information separately or in italics for example.

Then request a moderator to merge all of your Hirst threads into one. This will keep all the information in one place and any helpers will know exactly what info you have and what others have already suggested you look for.

Just an idea ....

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 17 October 14 07:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks again - seems a good idea; will give it a go.