Author Topic: Miss Annie Luker professional diveréswimmer  (Read 8137 times)

Offline grubheam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Annie Luker professional diveréswimmer
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 October 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
To Smokey

Actually Ann Elizabeth Vidler was John's third wife. Ann's sister Sarah Ann Vidler was John's second wife.

John have 9 children - three with Sarah Shepherd, two with Sarah Ann and four with Ann Elizabeth.

Grub
Gallop / Gallop of Mid & East Dorset & Bournemouth area
Grubheam of Herefordshire
Luker of Abingdon, Berkshire & Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Dwight of Middlesex & London

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 October 14 20:04 BST (UK) »
Yes you are quite right- I knew about his 3 wives- I just got a little mixed up.Thanks for straightening out the information.

Offline christinalindsay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 January 20 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello there, John Pearson Luker had a bust of Captain Webb. On his death in 1915 it went to his son Henry Blackford Luker who was born in 1875, the year JP Luker trained Captain Webb. Apparently this was destroyed by a bomb in WW2. My father is HB Luker’s son.
Can anyone send me a copy of the press article about Annie Luker/Parker from 1932? I’m also trying to find a death for her. Thanks, Christina

Offline grubheam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Cannot believe this thread is interesting.... no surprise there....still hunting for Annie's death..... my earlier thread was a mistake abt newspaper 1932, nothing about Annie, just a flagged bit. So, back to 1915s.....where her last address was. I keep thinking she drowned without report aor ended up in prison and her names may be wrong on prison register

Don't give up! Lots of people wanted to know too!

:D
Gallop / Gallop of Mid & East Dorset & Bournemouth area
Grubheam of Herefordshire
Luker of Abingdon, Berkshire & Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Dwight of Middlesex & London

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 23 January 20 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doug and other rootchatters

I am also a relative of Annie Luker the diver - Annie's half-sister May Luker (not Baby May Waters) was my great grandmother. I also heard about Captain Webb, my grandfather told me about it. But I don't see any evidence. I saw Annie's diving medal though. Annie left her things to her niece Joan.

Like Doug, I can't find her death. I have asked Joan's relatives but they don't know, too young to remember at that time. Doug have found an article on Annie  - newspaper dated 1932.

I couldn't find any more after that, which is mystery. She appeared on so many papers in 1900s then quietly then popped up in 1932.

Grub

Can I ask who Joan's parents were?   Just trying to figure out her role as niece to Annie, where she lived, etc. as if she received Annie's medal one would assume Annie must have died around the same area.  Just a thought.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline christinalindsay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 January 20 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello there, Joan Marion Luker was the daughter of Arthur Ernest Luker. Joan was born in 1919 so would that mean Annie was alive then?
Joan’s birth and death in 2002 are both in Tonbridge Wells.

Here’s all I’ve found on Annie so far
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/46367264/person/122044761152/facts

All the best, Christina