Author Topic: REcords for Marylebone/Islington  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
REcords for Marylebone/Islington
« on: Monday 29 September 14 17:35 BST (UK) »
HI, I am wondering if anyone can either point me in the right direction (or add to my impatience at needing the 1921 census) for any possible records that might tell me who was living at 35 Mitford Road in 1921 onwards which I believe is Marylebone but possibly Islington, excuse my ignorance to London parishes btw  ;D Do land registries exist for this time frame or electoral registers? I am not holding out any hope but thought it was worth an ask. TIA.
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: REcords for Marylebone/Islington
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 September 14 17:38 BST (UK) »
There are electoral rolls but they are much easier to search by name than by address.

It is a north Islington address, not Marylebone.

Is there anyone in particular who you think might have been living there?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 September 14 17:46 BST (UK) »
On my Grandmothers birth Certificate it has her born at 35 Mitford road, 1922 in the district of all Souls Marylebone and as I am not familiar with that area I thought that maybe I had the district wrong. Her mother was Amelia Elizabeth Smith but she would not have been 18, more like 16/17 ish in 1921. Her Aunt possibly lived with her but she seems to have married more times than I thought possible so could be either her Maiden name Lily Smith ( b.1890) or her first married name Lily Cairo or possibly Lily Hussan. Lily acquired property in London and Cardiff so I assume it was from her myriad of Marriages.

This is one of the topics about Lily that is more general and explains her numerous names:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=700734.0
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 September 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
So the birth was registered in Marylebone district, was it - what was the subdistrict, and what details were given of the informant?
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 September 14 18:06 BST (UK) »
Informant: Amelia E Smith, Mother, 35 Mitford road, Upper Holloway

Mother is: is Amelia Smith of 35 pleasant street, Pentre, Rhondda. That's Amelia's parents address. My Gran was born in Middlesex Hospital and Amelia was apparently working at a Hotel ( possibly Alexandra) as a waitress. District: St. Marylebone sub: All souls

It's all a very confusing tale but my Gran was adopted by Amelia's auntie & Uncle with no detail of her father other than he was foreign ( Greek, Italian, Arabic or maybe something else). The rumours stated she was possibly the Daughter of the hotel owners son where Amelia worked but it seems more likely that possibly a Husband of Lily's or a relative of her Husbands based on the penchant for foreign men of hers and the fact my side of the family looks positively foreign with dark skin, very dark hair and dark eyes. I am trying to solve the puzzle slowly and getting nowhere fast!
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 September 14 18:14 BST (UK) »
London Electoral registers for 1922 on Ancestry show -

Charles Flindell, Alfred Thorne and Elizabeth Thorne living at 35 Mitford Road.

Living at No. 37 Mitford Road are William Richard Dunning Smith and Eliza Maria Smith  (posting this as you refer to the Smith surname)

Tony

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 September 14 18:37 BST (UK) »
Oh thank you so much! I guess the rumour of her living with Aunt Lil is incorrect then which takes me back to the drawing board.

I think an ancestry subscription again is my next step as I haven't needed it for a few years and made do with FindMyPast but I had no idea that electoral registers existed and now I am excited at the prospect.

TY very much!
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 September 14 18:46 BST (UK) »
35 Mitford Road may have been just a short-term address for Amelia around the time of the registration.  As you say, it was not in fact the baby's birthplace (which was Middlesex Hospital, hence the Marylebone district registration).

Are the Smiths of 37 Mitford Rd definitely unrelated?  If there was a connection to Amelia they may have helped her get a room in their neighbours' house.

1921 shows the Thorne couple (but not Charles Flindell) at 35 Mitford Rd, and the Smith couple at 37 Mitford Rd.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 September 14 19:00 BST (UK) »
I have just been and checked my tree and as far as I can tell William and family at number 37 are not related. Thanks for looking though.

I have applied to the archives to view Amelia's hospital records as maybe there is something in those which can point me in the right direction. I am wondering if she was living with Aunt Lil in 1921 before she became pregnant and had to find other accommodation once it was discovered?? Every little piece adds more to our story yet seems to make it more elusive.

I have looked up hotels by the name Alexandra too but the owners appear to be British which doesn't fit either, unless there was another I have missed that no longer exists. Or even maybe the wrong hotel. *sigh*

TY for your help though, my Uncle is getting very frustrated now and we are considering a DNA test to see if it will give us any clues to our origins.
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London