Author Topic: Looking for the correct Henry Gallagher  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the correct Henry Gallagher
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 October 14 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hmm - lines somehow got muddled above.  Hope you can read it okay.

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 October 14 17:36 BST (UK) »
is it any help that henry g. and wife eliza with children hannah and mary in 1881 are on familysearch as Gallagor in 1871.

mike

Offline Flouncylicious

• RootsChat Senior
  • Dora Kent Nee Waterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 October 14 18:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for taking the time to look for me  :)

Lily the Henry Gallagher on the 1881 census you have found isn't either of the ones I've been trying to separate, so we have yet another Henry Gallagher who's in hats in the mix! With regards to baptisms anything in any location where the father's occupation is anything to do with hats is the wrong Gallaghers.

Mike I haven't tried Gallagor yet, I shall go do that now.

Once again thank you
Kent Thompson Gazzard Cunnington Tunmer Sheldrake Miller Waterfield Furneaux Granshaw Priddie Ward Belson Towell Newton

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 October 14 18:26 BST (UK) »
There is an on line tree with a picture of Agnes and her marriage in Poplar 1909 to Robert Charles Gledhill.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flouncylicious

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 October 14 18:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jennifer and also apologies I should've mentioned in my original post that every family tree I've seen for my Henry Gallagher (box maker) has the wrong marriage included (Henry Gallagher, hatter marrying Eliza Gill - 1868 Bethnal Green).
Kent Thompson Gazzard Cunnington Tunmer Sheldrake Miller Waterfield Furneaux Granshaw Priddie Ward Belson Towell Newton

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 October 14 19:01 BST (UK) »
Do you have the birth certificates for any of Henry and Eliza's children?  I'm just wondering how you know he wasn't a hatter before 1891.

Offline Flouncylicious

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 October 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
I know he wasn't a hatter because of his occupation on the marriage certs of his children. Most telling is in 1900 both families had sons called Henry who both got married - one father's occupation hatter the other box maker, so I could see that the family on the censuses for 1871 & 1881 and the marriage I had for the parents was for an entirely different family even though certain parts of it matched.

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 October 14 19:22 BST (UK) »
But did any of the children get married before 1891?

It's just that so many things seem to point that way.

Eliza Gills was born 1848 in Bethnal Green.  Same as your Henry's wife.  And there's a baptism for a Joseph Gallagher 1881 in Rutland Court.  Which is in Aldersgate. Which matches the 1891 census.

But I'll admit that it's a very confusing family, as they don't seem to know when they were born.

There's also an awful lot of hatters with the name Gallagher dotted about at the time!

The other Henry you found getting married in 1900 in Islington, was the one I posted above, who was born in Southwark.  With father - yes - Henry, a hatter.  That Henry is living with his parents in Clerkenwell in the 1881

Offline Flouncylicious

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 October 14 19:41 BST (UK) »
Not before 1891 but the point I was trying to make (and obviously I'm making badly) is that it is that the family of hatters who share the same named children with similar ages have a son Henry marrying in 1900 as well as my box maker's Henry, so that means the censuses I have for 1871 & 1881 are not the same family as the ones in 1891 & 1901. I'm not saying Henry Gallagher was always a box maker I'm just saying that I've proved that the census returns I have for 1871 & 1881 with the similar children are not the same family as 1881 & 1891. I'm really sorry if I'm not making sense I just don't know another way to explain it.