Author Topic: John Robert WILTON - Major HP in Army  (Read 11161 times)

Offline Peedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Robert WILTON - Major HP in Army
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 21 September 05 18:20 BST (UK) »
Manmack..is there any mention of John Robert Wilton being married and her name...which would prove whether this is Thomas Wilton's father?  Funny that Thomas didn't stay in England and go into the military there.  Mind you he did serve for three years with the North West Mounted Police here in Alberta, Canada.
Peedee

Offline Peedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 21 September 05 18:22 BST (UK) »
[quote author=Peedee  Genealogists don't die, they just lose their census

Offline Peedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wilton...Elusive grt. grandfather!
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 15:56 GMT (UK) »
I wish to thank all those who aided me in the research of my great grandfather, Thomas Wilton, and his family in England.
Almost three years ago a fellow researcher had contacted me through one of the message boards to ask if a Major J.R. Wilton was an ancestor of mine.  At that time I had no idea of my Wilton family other than Thomas.  It was through you great people at the RootsChat site that I found out that my gg grandfather was indeed a militery man, being Major John Robert Wilton of the 60th Rifles.  Meanwhile, I had lost the e-mail address of 'Bud', the fellow who had asked about my relationship to Major Wilton...low and behold, Bud contacted me the next day!  He had also gained some new information on Major Wilton and said it appeared to him that I was related.  Bud's interest in the Major was that he had purchased a sword that upon researching found it had been made by Henry Wilkinson in 1858 for John Robert Wilton!  To make a long story short...I received the sword yesterday, Jan. 23, 2006, bringing it back into the family one hundred and forty-eight years after it was made for a Wilton!! ;D  So thank you again RootsChat...
Peedee in Canada

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 08:23 GMT (UK) »
 ;D  ;D ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jafo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 July 10 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Peedee,

A Captain Wilton served with 60th Regiment of Foot (King's Royal Rifle Corps) in India, during The Mutiny.

The 60th Regiment of Foot (King's Royal Rifle Corps) is also known as the 60th Rifles.

On 9th July, 1857, Private James Thompson, 60th Rifles, saved a Captain Wilton, as per the following Citation from the London Gazette of January 20th, 1860:

For gallant conduct in saving the life of his
Captain (Captain Wilton), on the 9th of July,
1857, by dashing forward to his relief, when that
Officer was surrounded by a party of Ghazees,
who made a sudden rush on him from a Serai,
—and killing two of them before further assistance
could reach. Also recommended for
conspicuous conduct throughout the Siege.
Wounded. Elected by the Privates of the
Regiment.

(London Gazette No. 22347 Pages 177, 178, 179)
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/22347/pages/177
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/22347/pages/178
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/22347/pages/178

For his action in saving Captain Wilton, and for his conspicuous conduct throughout the Siege (of Delhi), James Thompson was awarded the Victoria Cross.

Whilst still in India James Thompson was wounded severely and he had his left arm amputated before his repatriation to Britain, gaining for him the moniker of "Wingey".

I do not know if this Captain Wilton is your John Robert Wilton, but I'm as sure as I can be it is he. Here's hoping he is . . .

I  have found a Captain John Robert Wilton Gazetted on his promotion to Major, 60th Rifles, dated 24th March, 1858:

(London Gazette No. 22117 Page 1571
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/22117/pages/1571)

Captain J. R. Wilton is also mentioned in the following:

I cannot speak too highly of the conduct of the detachments of the
60th Royal Rifles, who have on all occasions behaved admirably and ever
maintained the reputation of their distinguished corps. I would wish to
bring to your notice the names of two officers of this regiment, viz.,
Captain Sir Edward FitzGerald Campbell and Captain J. R. Wilton, who
have at different times commanded the parties on duty at this post, and
from whom I have always received the greatest assistance. Both are
most excellent officers and I beg to recommend them to notice.

See Page 346:
http://www.archive.org/stream/selectionsfromle01forruoft/selectionsfromle01forruoft_djvu.txt

I live not far from James Thompson VC's birthplace in Yoxall, Staffordshire, England, and know one of his great granddaughters, and a number of his gg grandchildren, ggg grandchildren and gggg grandchildren.

If you look at James Thompson VC's Wikipedia page they have him as "William James Thompson". This is incorrect, as James had a brother William. Also, James named his second son James William who, in turn, named his own son William James . . . and hence the source of such great confusion.

I also live not far from Rugeley, Staffordshire, where three of John Robert Wilton's children were born. A small world, and t'internet has a lot of great things to answer for - genealogically speaking.

Hope the above is of help.

Kind regards,

Pete

Peter JW Howell
is a
Great great grandson
of
Master Gunner Daniel Cambridge VC
Yeoman of the Guard

http://crossforvalour-vc-001.webs.com/

Offline Peedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 July 10 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Pete...It took me this long to find the reply button! Thank you for the interest in my gg grandfather, Major John Robert Wilton.I had seen one of the citations you sent, but the other write-ups were new to me. In researching James Thompson I made connection with a gg granddaughter, Pauline Smith...is she the one you know?  The reason I wanted more info on Thompson was because of an article about him saying that Wilton was so grateful to him for saving his life that he "took the injured private back to Scotland with him to work on his famil's estate as gamekeeper." Wanting to know if I should start looking into Scotland for Wilton, I tracked down the author of the article who said he had gotten the information from Doug Roberts who had married into the Thompson family.  When I heard from Pauline she said that Thompson had been a gameskeeper for Major Arden of Longcraft Hall...nothing to do with a 'Wilton Estate! I have been working on tracing the Wilton children with some luck.  I would like to establish the parents of John Robert.  I have found his wife's family...also military people.  I can't locate death records for John nor his wife Betsey Tanish Clarke.  I have John's service record and it appears he was in Gibralter from Sept 1874 to Nov 21, 1877.  It seems he was permitted to resign before that date so would like to know what he was doing in Gibralter.  So many unanswered questions! Penny in Canada
copperp@telusplanet.net

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 26 July 10 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Penny

Are you aware that John Robert Wilton returned to the army as a Paymaster? If you don't have this I can do some more digging. A Paymaster was a bit of a step down for an ex-Major.

Also, a John Robert Hall Wilton became an Ensign on 13 June 1868. Is he related?

Ken

Offline Peedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 26 July 10 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken...What a coinsidence that you should mention John Robert Hall Wilton...I just found that information this morning!  He was mentioned in one of the Gazetts listed in Pete's message to me.  Yes he is related...the eldest child of Major Wilton.  I wonder if he was still in the service when he died?  I found his marriage record 1888 and his death 1891.

The last entries in Major Wilton's service record are:
Major Brevet 1 60th, 7 April, 1858, without purchase
Paymaster 54 Foot, 15, Sept, 1869, on appointment
Exchanged to 1st Batton. 4th Foot, 30th, Sept, 1871
The page showing Gibralter is headed Periods of Employment and doesn't show rank/duties.  Gibralter: From 26th Sept 1874 To 21 Nov 1877.  I contacted the Royal Green Jackets and they could not trace Wilton after 1861! His service record shows his marriage in 1845 but does not list his parents and I haven't been able to locate a birth or death record for him at Ancestry.com.  He was born Jan 29, 1819, Chatham, Kent.  His wife Betsey Tanish Clarke is listed 'Dead' on the sheet that lists the final date of 1877.  Thank you for your interest and help...I really appreciate it
Penny

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Penny

He was in Gibraltar with the 1st Battalion of the 4th of Foot. They were known as the 4th (King's Own Royal) Regiment of Foot in his day. They left Fort George for Gib in September 1874, and were still there in 1877.

He is listed in the 1878 Army List as having resigned as Paymaster of the 4th Regiment.

Chatham was a military town with Royal Artillery and Royal Marines based there. It was later used to house Depots of regiments serving in India. Unfortunately the army did not record FH information in those days, so you would be better off switching to church records.

Ken