Author Topic: Catholic Cemetery, Drumholm?  (Read 10091 times)

Offline Normski

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catholic Cemetery, Drumholm?
« on: Friday 28 May 10 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have recently found a Donegal Independant newspaper obituary dated Feb 1904 , regarding an relative of mine. The article states that :The coffin was immediately after arrival placed in the hearse awaiting and conveyed to old home in the Townland of Shannagh for interment in the family burying ground at Drumholm.

As far as I know, he was a catholic. Does anyone know if there was more than one catholic cemetery in Drumholm ?

Thanks for all your help

Normski
Campbell, McGarrity, Brock, Tonner, Hagan, Morgan and Gallagher

Offline CJF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Cemetery, Drumholm?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 July 10 18:50 BST (UK) »
As far as I am aware there were 2 graveyards in Drumholm. One was Roman Catholic and the other Church of Ireland. Shannagh would come under the parish St. Bridget's R.C. Church, Ballintra. Graveyard here is beside the church.

Offline Normski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 July 10 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

Thank you so much for your information.  I really dont have a lot of information on him, and I am only guessing that he was a catholic.  He was buried in 1904 so I hope the church may still have records on it.

With kind regards

Normski

Offline Carol Mack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 July 10 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi folks

There was indeed a Roman Catholic graveyard at Drumholm just across from the Protestant one. It is now disused  - I presume when the other one came onto use beside the Roman Catholic church. When that happened I'm not sure.
I had a peep last time I was there, I couldnt see any headstones standing so I dont think there would be any information to be had.

Carol
McVitty: Co. Donegal, Canada and Worldwide!
Kilpatrick: Co. Donegal
White: Co.Tyrone/Donegal
Ellison: Co.Tyrone/Donegal
Fleetwood: Yorkshire.
Hassell:London,  Shadrake:London & Essex.
Jenkins/Gardner Devon

Offline CJF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 July 10 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Do you have a name? My partner's great-great grandfather came from Drumholm. He is buried in Ballintra churchyard beside the church. This church was built in 1845. We're doing a lot of research at moment also. St. Bridget's church don't have any records as we tried already when looking for burial records.
If by chance he was a member of Church of Ireland there is a website (if you google "Drumholm Parish") that you can get list of burial plots and family names. If I can be of any assistance just let me know.My partner's father would know a lot about people who lived in Drumholm/Ballintra/Kilgole areas. We were only walking around Drumholm graveyards a few weeks ago. Do you live in Ireland?
CJF

Offline tomby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 July 10 21:18 BST (UK) »

hi
According to the Raphoe Directory 2010 death reigister under the parish Drumholm, Ballintra didn't commence until 1968.

Tomby

Elliott Co.Derry, Ward Co.Derry, Quin Co.Down, Shanagher Co Roscommon,
Toner Co Donegal,

Offline Carol Mack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 July 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
Normski,

Is this John McGroary you are researching? If it is he is not listed as buried in Drumholm Protestant graveyard. I have the Drumholm Graveyard records book and there are no McGroary's listed there. So I would say you should be looking at the Roman Catholic records.

Carol
McVitty: Co. Donegal, Canada and Worldwide!
Kilpatrick: Co. Donegal
White: Co.Tyrone/Donegal
Ellison: Co.Tyrone/Donegal
Fleetwood: Yorkshire.
Hassell:London,  Shadrake:London & Essex.
Jenkins/Gardner Devon

Offline Normski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 July 10 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for all your help and advice. Yes the person I am looking for is John McGroary. He was my 3 x greatgrandmothers brother who died in Paisley in 1904 and was brought back to Ireland. He was by all accounts was very well to do. Articles on his death were in both the paisley paper and the Donegal Independent.  So he really interests me, apparently he made his money building sewers in the US ! I stay not far from Glasgow so it proving difficult to research.  The only other information I have is that he was born around 1840 and died in 1904. He also went under the name of John Rodgers !! His sister my 3 X G Grandmother was Annie and parents were  Michael McGroary and Anne or Annie Meechan. 

I really appreciate all your help

With best wishes Normski   :D

Offline CJF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 July 10 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Have you tried checking Scotland's People. The records are really up to date. You have to pay to view records online but its very good. I was looking for information recently for High Church in Glasgow and found it really helpful. Civil records in Ireland only go back to 1864 but you might be lucky because some baptismal records can go back much further. If you go onto Family Search.org it might come up with some information. It's a really good website.

CJF