Author Topic: Anne (McGranahan) McMenamin, (1847-1911ff) Egglybane, Donegal  (Read 13228 times)

Offline Ciaran86

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anne (McGranahan) McMenamin, (1847-1911ff) Egglybane, Donegal
« on: Wednesday 12 February 14 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can help me find more information on my great-great grandmother, Anne McGranahan?

She was born in Tyrone in about 1847 (according to 1911 census) and married Hugh McMenamin (date unknown).

By 1911 she was widowed, living in Egglybane, Cloghard, Donegal. She had a large family, with children Michael, Hugh, Patrick, Sarah, Daniel (my great grandfather), Mary Anne and Charles McMenamin.

My grandmother recalls her father mentioning a link between Anne and the McGranahans that were involved in the assassination of Lord Leitrim in 1879 (Anthony and Bernard McGranahan, among others), but I have no hard evidence of this.

Is there a way to find out more about Anne McMenamin (nee McGranahan)? Was she related to the McGranahans of Fandad (Gortnatraw I believe)? What I really need is birth details for Anne, so I can find her parents/siblings.

Many thanks to anyone who has any ideas.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anne (McGranahan) McMenamin, (1847-1911ff) Egglybane, Donegal
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 13:01 GMT (UK) »
read what was on the other record on this site.

http://www.loughrynn.net

McGrenahans arrested about Lord Leitrim assassination because they bought there tickets to leave Ireland before in was killed.  All charges were dropped. it is all on the above site.

Lord Leitrme killed on 2.4.178 in Cratlagh Wood near Milford.

Offline Ciaran86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 14:23 GMT (UK) »
read what was on the other record on this site.

http://www.loughrynn.net

McGrenahans arrested about Lord Leitrim assassination because they bought there tickets to leave Ireland before in was killed.  All charges were dropped. it is all on the above site.

Lord Leitrme killed on 2.4.178 in Cratlagh Wood near Milford.

Thanks Rathmore, I am aware of the details of Lord Leitrim's death. For more info I'd recommend Virtues of a Wicked Earl. Apparently the assassins used the McGranahan's house in Fanad as a meeting place, and while they may have been involved in the conspiracy, they weren't the actual assassins.

My query is about Anne McGrenahan, and whether she is related to any of these McGrenahan. Judging by the dates, she would have to be a sister or cousin (1st, 2nd, 3rd even). Since she was married in Castlederg I am guessing that was her home parish, and I'm looking into those birth records.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 February 14 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Have you been in touch with any of the local newspapers, they might put a message in for you in their paper asking for information.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 February 14 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried this marriage
Hugh McMenamin and Anne M'Grenaghan
Castlederg 1870 vol 2 page 38.

Offline Ciaran86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 February 14 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried this marriage
Hugh McMenamin and Anne M'Grenaghan
Castlederg 1870 vol 2 page 38.

Hi Dathai,

Thanks for that, I was informed of this on the Tyrone board yesterday. What I am looking for now is details about Anne's family. I assume Castelderg was her original home since she got married there.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 February 14 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Pension application of Ann Mc Menamin d/o  James Mc Granaghan Eliza Mc Granaghan nee Rush of Pullyernan Urney Omagh West Tyrone

Census check...1851 shows James and Eliza Mc Granaghan married 14 years, James 9, Sally 4, Nancy 1yr 6months, Baby McGranaghan 1 day, and 1 daughter died 1851 unbaptised.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Ciaran86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 February 14 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Pension application of Ann Mc Menamin d/o  James Mc Granaghan Eliza Mc Granaghan nee Rush of Pullyernan Urney Omagh West Tyrone

Census check...1851 shows James and Eliza Mc Granaghan married 14 years, James 9, Sally 4, Nancy 1yr 6months, Baby McGranaghan 1 day, and 1 daughter died 1851 unbaptised.

That is very interesting, thanks!!  The first one especially seems to fit, the names and the location are both good.

The second one; I am wondering if Anne is the newborn baby.... Going by her 1911 census she was born in 1843 but estimated birth years can always be quite a few years off.

This may make attempting to link her (or not) with the McGranaghans of Fanad/Gortnatraw easier!