Author Topic: Tithe map of Shadycombe - Salcombe  (Read 6028 times)

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Tithe map of Shadycombe - Salcombe
« on: Wednesday 08 April 09 20:21 BST (UK) »
Is anyone aware of the existence of a Tithe map showing the area known as Shadycombe?

I am interested to know where there may have been cottages as far back as 1841.

Regards

Chris
BENNETT, Acton, Staffs. DAVIES, Pwhelli, Wales. DODD, Bunbury, Northwich, Cheshire. Oldham, Lancs. FIELDING, Glossop, Derby. FOULKES, Denbigh. HAMSON, Leek, Staffs. HANNAFORD, Marlborough, Devon. HAYES, Woodbridge, Suffolk. HUTTON, Stapleton, Bristol. LLOYD, Denbigh,Wales. Collyhurst, Manchester. MILLER, Greenwich, Kent. PARKER, Sibsey, Lincolnshire. Manchester. REVITT, Manchester, and SYKES, Rastrick, Yorks, and Oldham.

Any census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline miagre1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tithe map of Shadycombe - Salcombe
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 April 09 01:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

http://www.francisfrith.com/salcombe/  1840

Also   http://www.old-maps.co.uk   back to 1885 

http://www.devon.gov.uk/localstudies/110375/1.html

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~our4bears/M~LBO41.htm   (Hannafords)

More Hannafords at: -

http://tinyurl.com/co4eyz

George
Scan at 300 plus for restores please. Scan at larger dpi for small photos. Don't forget to crop the scanner bed out! (Them's the white bits)
Please feel free to alter any work by me for the benefit of the Poster.

Linklater - Middlesbrough/Orkney/Shetland
Cantley - Longhope/Hoy

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 April 09 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi George.

I love the old photos of Salcombe.  I have seen the 1841 census of Marlborough District, which includes the Hannafords of Shadycombe; some of these are my husbands ancestors.

The additional list, to which you kindly gave me the link, has some new names.  I will have to see if I can find a connection with my ancestors.

Thank you for your help.

Regards
Chris

BENNETT, Acton, Staffs. DAVIES, Pwhelli, Wales. DODD, Bunbury, Northwich, Cheshire. Oldham, Lancs. FIELDING, Glossop, Derby. FOULKES, Denbigh. HAMSON, Leek, Staffs. HANNAFORD, Marlborough, Devon. HAYES, Woodbridge, Suffolk. HUTTON, Stapleton, Bristol. LLOYD, Denbigh,Wales. Collyhurst, Manchester. MILLER, Greenwich, Kent. PARKER, Sibsey, Lincolnshire. Manchester. REVITT, Manchester, and SYKES, Rastrick, Yorks, and Oldham.

Offline squiggle

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 July 09 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

I am in the locality........  The tithe map of 1842 would show Shadycombe, I have looked at it, in my own research, my mothers family date back at least into the 1600's in the area and lived very close to Shadycombe ataround this time and in fact in Shadycombe prior to this date.
There was certainly a farmhouse at Shadycombe at this time and there is a row of cottages at sometime called Caroline cottages, which I believe must date back to this era.
I have also ploughed through the "Land Tax assessments" attempting to back up genealogical links through the passing of property through family lines.

I am not sure of the dates of the cemetary, churchyard, and Shadycombe cemetary, but I have a copy of the gravestones of Malbrough churchyard and I actually enjoy wandering through burial grounds (strange but true ) So maybe I can be of some help!

Regards

Squiggle

p.s.I have a distant link with Hannaford through my gt gt grandfathers brother.

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 July 09 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for contacting me.

The Hannafords I am interested in were in the 1841 Shadycombe Census as Richard 50, Shipwright, wife Jane, 50 and children Amelia Bethin 20, John 20, Joseph 15 (my husband's direct descendant) Mary Ann 12 and Matilda Alma 7.

The sons were Shipwights Apprentices.

The couple had an elder daughter Jane Gay Hanniford, christened in April 1815.

There is also a connection with the Crocker family, John Jarvis Crocker was the father of Ann Crocker who married Joseph Hannaford.

If you can be of any assistance, or if any of these names appear in your research, I would be happy to share any information.

Kind regards,

Chris

Offline squiggle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 July 09 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Have had a look at my copy of the list of Malbrough gravestones and didn't find them there.

I have a copy of the 1851 census for Devon and found Richard and family there in Shadycombe.   I imagine you probably have those details, but I would be happy to give them to you or look up anything else you are after.

I found what I think is Jane Gay Hannaford's marriage to John Hyne in Nov. 1845, on Ray Osborn's website I would post a link but I don't know how.   If you google his name and " South Hams" it should come up.

I will try to get down to the cemetery to have a wander at some point soon.

Let me know how you're getting on if there's anything you think I can do.

Best wishes

Squiggle

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 July 09 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Squiggle,

I already have the Hannafords in the 1851 census thank you, and I am aware of  Ray Osborn's website and found it very useful.

But I have not been able to pin down the death and burial place of Richard and Jane. I have 2 possible dates for Richard in the Kingsbridge area, March Qtr 1863 - no age shown, and March Qtr  1867 aged 81. Which would make him too old by 4 years!

Jane died between 1851 and 1861 and I have 5 possible dates of burial from 1851, 53,58, and 2 in 1860 all Kingsbridge, and no ages.

I wasn't sure if Shadycombe cemetery was in the Kingsbridge District, or if Marlborough was the area I should look.

This is very confusing. When I visited Shadycombe briefly earlier this year I was overwhelmed by the task of looking over every gravestone, unsure if I even had the correct cemetery.

Thank you for your offer of help, it is very kind of you.

Regards,

Chris

Offline squiggle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 July 09 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Went down to Shadycombe this afternoon to the cemetery. No luck on Richard and Jane, I'm afraid.... most of the stones there seem to date after 1870.  So they may actually be buried in the churchyard. ( I will try there at some point)

I did find ....the grave of the son of my gt gt grandfathers brother.

William Hannaford Jellard died 1891 aged 22, buried in the same plot (same stone) as Adams Alfred Hannaford (1866-1936) and his wife Sarah Mary (1860-1949)
 William's parents George Edwin Jellard and Sarah Hannaford were lost at sea (very sad) and the children were taken in by  Hannaford relatives.

No direct link with your family as yet, but I suspect that Adams Alfred Hannaford's family is in some way connected to your Richard and Jane.

Just a thought though,I bet that Richard knew my gt gt gt grandfather and my gt gt  grandfather.

Best wishes

Squiggle

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 July 09 21:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking time to look for the Hannafords in Shadycombe cemetery. It's a shame they are not there. It would be nice to make a connection with your family.

Joseph Hannaford was living in Deptford near Greenwich in 1861 census with his wife Ann (Crocker) and their 3 children. He was working in the Royal dockyard as a Shipwright. Earlier this year I found a gravestone in Salcombe churchyard of Ann Crocker's father John Jarvis. It was close to the entrance on the left hand side, the weather was awful at the time and I had to abandon my search for the Hannafords.

By the 1871 census Joseph and family had moved to Plymouth to be close to the Dockyard, I suppose work in Deptford was no longer available.

There is a strong possibility that the Hannafords knew your branch of the family. After all, Shadycombe was not such a large place.

Regards,

Chris