Author Topic: burts scotland to america  (Read 13922 times)

Offline beansgram

• RootsChat Veteran
  • peter drylie christina mcpherson
    • View Profile
burts scotland to america
« on: Sunday 18 April 10 04:04 BST (UK) »
while researching beveridges i found the following burts immigrated on the same ship sept 15 1851

andrew burt  1817

david burt 1826

margaret burt 1818

agnes burt 1842

isabella 1844

margaret 1846

peter age listed as 8/12 which puts his birth dec 1850

i think the margaret 1818 is the wife of either andrew or david but cont connect them to my other burts any help would be appreciated

beans
drylie,mcpherson,tod,burt,beveridge
fife dunfermline kincross iverness

Offline davaar36

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: burts scotland to america
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 10 11:00 BST (UK) »
Other than "Andrew" this seems to tally with the following family. (Perhaps the "Andrew" is a mis-transcription and is in fact "Peter"). Peter Burt (b1818 Dunfermline  d1888 Oregon) married Margaret Beveridge (b1819 Dunfermline) in Dunfermline in 1839. Their children Agnes, Isabella Spowart, Margaret, Thomas Peter and Peter were born in Fife. A daughter Catherine was born in Ohio 1854. Peter b1818 was the son of Peter Burt (b.1795 Dunfermline  d1844 Kelty) and Isobel Spoward or Spowart (b1792 Dunfermline d1856 in Ohio) married 1817 in Dunfermline. Can't go further back with the Burts but can take Spowarts back several generations.

Dod

Offline beansgram

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 April 10 15:40 BST (UK) »
thanks for the reply.  this must be a family i didnt get re-entered after my old computer crashed

because someone in oregon sent me an envelope full of births wills deaths etc. connected to this family

so they were on my tree at one time.  there are other spowarts beveridges and burts so  i should be

able to connect them..

beans

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 April 10 18:35 BST (UK) »
I remember a Mr. Burt who had a little bookshop in Kirkcaldy in the late 60s, when I worked at Fife County Library HQ there.

Harry

Offline lexxi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 April 10 19:34 BST (UK) »
Do you have the name of the ship the Burts and Beveridges were on?

On April 2, 1852, Joseph Burt, his wife Helen Kirk Hutchison , their children, Peter Hutchison, Robert Hutchison, Isabel Kirk, and Joseph Hutchison, along with Josephs mother, Isabell Spowart  and her younger children, Isabel, David, Andrew, and Thomas left Greenock quay Scotland for New York.   Six weeks later they arrived in New York.

They spent one night in New York then boarded a train to Tamaqua, Penn. where they were met by Josephs brother Peter Burt.
Peter Burt and his wife Margaret Beveridge & children were already in the states.  I have been trying to find the dates Peter and Margaret immigrated to the states.

Offline beansgram

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 April 10 03:01 BST (UK) »
hi this is what i have on this families immigration

margaret beveridge burt immigrated with her brothers andrew and james and james wife euphemia and james and euphemias sons james born in 1851 and alexander born in 1846.  also margaret and peters children agnes, isabella, margaret, and peter.  the ship is the statira morse left glasgow scotland and arrived in new york on sept 15 1851.  hope that helps

Offline beansgram

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 April 10 03:02 BST (UK) »
i also have pictures of some of them and margarets husband peter burts will and estate papers.

beans

Offline lexxi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 April 10 10:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you Beansgram for the information.  Yes I am interested in any photos or documents you may have about the families-Burts, Beveridges, etc. 

Offline llrieks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 15:46 BST (UK) »
I just found "The Statira Morse" ships list last week and my immediate thought was that it was a mistranscription and that the Andrew Burt listed as age 34 was in fact Peter Burt - husband of Margaret (Beveridge) Burt age 33 as all the other Burt names and ages matched my records.
Peter Burt had a brother David who I had been told immigrated with Peter's mother and brothers and sisters, but David does not show on their immigration on the "Champion" April 30, 1852. 
So I am thinking the David on "The Statira Morse"  must be him.

This is my first day on RootsChat and so don't know how it works - but Bones mentioned having pictures and I am wondering how I contact her about getting copies?