Author Topic: 1842 ship romance on the Nabob. Michael McGrath & Mary O’Loughlin from Co. Clare  (Read 2866 times)

Offline steve albin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Dear Members,

With the recent help of some very kind people on this site I believe the NSW marriage of Michael McGrath and Mary O’Loughlin in 1842 was due to the romance while on board the ship – Nabob.

The Nabob docked in Sydney on the 21st February 1842.

It seems that Mary’s brother, Peter, was also on board the same ship.

I am slowly trying to piece together the marriages and such of the O’Loughlins and Michael McGrath.

Before I jump in and start buying NSW death certificates I want to be absolutely sure that the Peter and Mary O’Loughlin from the Nabob share the same parents (Michael O’Loughlin and Mary Glen from Co. Clare) as their possible sister, Catherine O’Loughlin who died in 1875 at Bendigo.

My family were split up and kept apart by certain relatives here in Melbourne. We were totally oblivious to the fact there may be other O’Loughlin relatives in Australia. 

I would appreciate it if someone could let me know the exact date of the McGrath – O’Loughlin wedding in 1842 please.

Regards
Steve

Moderator Comment:
copyright image removed, please do not post again !

Albin.............Armagh
Bingham.......Leeds
Cooke..........Camden Town,St.Pancrass in London
Charles........Woolwich,Chatham,Gillingham in Kent
Duffey..........Leeds
Glen.............Co.Clare
Irving...........Chatham & Deptford
Mitchell.........Staines in M/sex & Gillingham in Kent
O'Loughlin....Co.Clare
Oyns.............London
Powell...........Leeds
Smokeham....St.Pancras,Camden Town in London

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1842 ship romance on the Nabob. Michael McGrath & Mary O’Loughlin from Co. Clare
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 04:36 BST (UK) »
Steve have you read the message from the moderator on another of your requests.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=698112.msg5413451#msg5413451

I assume you are aware that the 1842 marriage on the NSW bdm index would be a parish record as civil registration did not commence in NSW until 1856.  The information about civil registration has been given to you previously.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: 1842 ship romance on the Nabob. Michael McGrath & Mary O’Loughlin from Co. Clare
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 04:47 BST (UK) »
For around $20 Australian you can purchase an official transcription of any of the NSW BDM historic holdings that are displayed on their online indexes.   :)

Many of the details from early parish registers are available via familysearch.org.  You can actually ask them to send you their copy of the image if you find the marriage indexed at their website https://familysearch.org/search   (this link includes the equivalent of the older IGI extracted index)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=685720.0

The info on the parish registers in the era before civil registration commences in NSW (1 March 1856) can be scant, but at least it is first hand info and possibly more reliable than say info from a grieving informant on a death rego. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.