Author Topic: Rates of Pay ww2  (Read 767 times)

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Rates of Pay ww2
« on: Monday 03 February 14 04:37 GMT (UK) »
Could any one please give me the rates of pay for a private soldier who enlisted in 1940 and was discharged in 1945, I guess he would have received nothing extra for serving in France with the BEF and North Africa and Italy with the First Army? Also I would like the amount of the allowances his wife and three children would have received.
Thank you in anticipation Dennis
Piercy Nfk .Buck Nfk. Vince Nfk. Meachen Nfk. Fuller Nfk. Green Swannington Nfk. Seaman Yaxham Nfk  Savage Sur/ Ham. Homan Cor/Ham. Higgins Gal/Ham. Knott  Thame Oxf. Maynard Great Haseley Oxf. Lewis Henley in Arden War.Woodhams Ken/Sus.Sargent Hastings. Waters Hastings.Evernden Hastings. Savery Hastings,
Colgan Gal. Keenan  Millisle & Belfast. Kane Dow. Mcaleese Belfast. Fitzpatrick Kik.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rates of Pay ww2
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 August 14 12:09 BST (UK) »
I don't have details of a private soldier's pay but as a guide I have a couple of my fathers payslips when he was a prisoner of war.  As a sergeant his basic rate of pay was 7/6 per day.  this was subject to a weekly deduction of sixpence halfpenny for insurance and weekly deduction of two shillings and ninepence in respect of pay issued by the detaining power (prison camp money to spend in the camp shop).  According to my father there was never anything in the camp shop and the money was so much waste paper!!  I still have some of it.  In addition there was a monthly deduction of one pound for income tax.  I have no info on family allowances as my dad was single at the time. 
Hope this is of interest.
Clive P