Author Topic: Who did Lucy marry Completed  (Read 9740 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Who did Lucy marry Completed
« on: Saturday 26 November 11 17:44 GMT (UK) »
I hope you can help me work out how to find out who Lucy Boland married.  How do I use the reference I've found on Family Search to track down the record?

name:   Lucy BOLAND
registration district:   Enniscorthy
event type:   MARRIAGES
registration quarter and year:   Jul - Sep 1918
volume number:   4
page number:   265
digital folder number:   4199366

Thanks for your help, Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Who did Lucy marry?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 November 11 17:47 GMT (UK) »
You can check the BMD Index for other marriages during the same quarter and district to see which others have the same references. This will give you a number of possible husbands (usually 2 or 4) ... which might help if you have some further clues.

The guaranteed way is just to order the research cert.

p.s. you dont need the digital folder number - it's an internal FamilySearch reference

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 November 11 17:53 GMT (UK) »
here's two possibilities.. there could be more..

John Myers, William Butler

S.

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 November 11 18:00 GMT (UK) »
As always, thanks for your help Shane.  This is my first stab at accessing ANY records in Ireland and I really don't know where to go.  When you say the BMD Index do you mean Family Search/IGI or some other online Index?  I would know exactly what to do in England and Scotland, but for Ireland I'm clueless.

If I was to 'order the research cert', how would I do that?

I'm off to NI tomorrow and Wexford on Wednesday so would love to do all I can with my last minute research.

Edit:  Your second post is very much appreciated but where did you get this information?  I'm soooo excited that I could have found Lucy  :)

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 November 11 18:03 GMT (UK) »
found another possibility - a Luke Foley, so there must be 4 marriages on that page. The link to the Irish BMD Index on FamilySearch is included in the Introduction topic :

Introduction to Irish Records

As far as I know Irish Marriage certs from this time contain the same details as those for England/Wales. For details of ordering certs, and notes on the details shown on a marriage cert see :

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
   Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 November 11 18:06 GMT (UK) »
So excited  ;D ;D ;D Thank you Shane

Offline genseacher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 November 11 20:09 GMT (UK) »

Lucy Boland possibles on the same page are

William Butler
William Buttler
Luke Foley
John Myers
Thomas Roche

note William Butler/Buttler prob same man could have been married before

Hope this helps
Regards
Genseacher
Byrne - Wexford
Carey - Dublin
Clifford - Dublin
Dwyer - Carlow and Wicklow
May - Dublin
Moore - Dublin
Noctor/Naughter - Wexford tarahill
Rooney - Dublin
Rossiter - Wexford
Wafer - Wexford and Dublin
Whelan - Carlow

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 November 11 23:14 GMT (UK) »
So much help.

Thanks Gensearcher, gives me a lot to work on. Kit

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 18:36 GMT (UK) »
The answer to who Lucy married is .......... Thomas Roche!

Lucy's father is correct and deceased as his should be as he died when she was less than 1 year old.

Lucy was born in 1883 to John Boland and Ellen Ronan in Liverpool.  When John died, Ellen later married James Carson(1886) in Liverpool.  When I found Ellen's father and mother (Patrick & Ellen) in the 1901 Irish Census living in the Ferns area of Wexford, I found Lucy, who I didn't know about, living with them.  Ellen's marriage cert to James Carson showed that she'd been previously  married to a Boland.

It looks as if Lucy would have been around 34 when she married, so not much chance of children being born to the marriage. 

I can find a Thomas Roche in the Ferns area (as marriage cert) living with his married sister Jane Stephans and her husband Henry.  Thomas is single and 40 in the 1911c, so about 47 on marriage.

If anyone has any information on Lucy and Thomas Roche, I'd be very grateful.  Kit

Edit - forgot to say that they married on 5 August 1918 at the Roman Catholic Church of Kilrush and the witnesses were George BUTLER and Ellen RONAN.  I think this Ellen is Lucy's cousin, the daughter of her mother's brother Matthew.  Today I visited the cemetery at Kilrush (eventually found it!!).  The original church is not longer there and a modern one in its place.