Author Topic: Dateable features in Wexford photos  (Read 2876 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Dateable features in Wexford photos
« on: Tuesday 10 September 13 22:17 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone can provide dates for the construction of some of the notable features that can be seen (or not) in photos of Wexford, such as
- The Italianate belltower of the Franciscan church
- The characteristic "woodenworks" along the quays - now gone.
- Redmond monument.
- 1798 monument - I believe this postdates 1898 by some number of years.
- Any others?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline culbaire

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dateable features in Wexford photos
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 23:26 BST (UK) »
A five stage Romanesque tower was built 1861 – 1862 and is a recognisable feature of the unique Wexford skyline.
http://buildingsofwexford.com/wexford-district/wexford-town/franciscan-friary/
The Pikeman statue, sculpted in bronze by Oliver Sheppard, commemorates Wexford’s failed rebellion of 1798 and the declaration of Ireland’s first Republic. It was unveiled in an elaborate ceremony attended by 30,000 people in 1905.
http://www.wexfordchamber.ie/wexford/wexfords-historical-sites/
A central decked area reminiscent of the old woodenworks of the 1870’s provides a pleasant area to stroll. (same site)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Dateable features in Wexford photos
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 18:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply with the links - very useful, was unaware of these sites. Some comments:
- Seems that the belltower is substantially older than I thought - I thought it dated from 1890s-1900s.
The referenced websites seems to omit/ignore known facts about various sites that would add substantial local color. Two examples:
- I believe the blanked off niche above the gate to the County Hall (former County Gaol) is either the doorway condemned prisoners stepped through immediately before their public executions, or else was constructed to mark the executions directly at that spot.  A great-great-grandfather of mine watched the last public execution in Wexford there in 1864.  Later the niche/doorway was used to exhibit a religious statute - now removed, doubtless in a fit of PC secularism. Could they not have let it remain as a memorial to those who suffered on that spot?
- No mention of the documented burial alive at St. Selskars. When I was a child, my grandparents - both natives of Wexford, delighted in telling chilling stories of headless coach drivers and particularly of burials alive. Well, whatever about the coach drivers, when I started my family history research i was astonished to discover that story of the burial alive in St. Selskars churchyard was actually true - it is listed in the events of the year in the Parliamentary Register for 1848 (may be off a year or two). A ships sailor fell ill during a cholera epidemic, and they were in such a haste to be rid of him that they gave him a premature burial....
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area