Author Topic: WWI Regiment Identification  (Read 11169 times)

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
Re: WWI Regiment Identification
« Reply #36 on: Friday 23 December 05 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Chris that looks bang on to me, nice one.

Kev. ;D

Merry Christmas everyone.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 23 December 05 17:50 GMT (UK) »
This PDF file has details of the camp and loads of photos including the medal and at least one of the highlanders.

http://66.207.114.162/genealogy/pdfs/1stContingent.pdf

Kev. ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 23 December 05 19:32 GMT (UK) »
thats where i got the pic from!!  ;)

Offline caimaver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 29 December 05 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thanks for all the help in trying to identify the medals! I was finally able to make a better scan of the photograph after visiting my parents house (this one is at 1200dpi). The medals and collar badges are more clear but I'm not sure if they help any!

The Valcartier medal looks like an excelent possibility. The only thing I'm not sure on is that in the photo of the medal posted by harribobs, the medal has a ring around it with spaces between the ring and the center. The medal in the photo doesn't seem to have those spaces but it could just be because of the poor detail in the photo. I asked my dad if he had any more information about the photograph and he said that he always thought it was taken as some sort of free mason thing and that maybe the extra medal had something to do with that. I think the Valcartier medal is a more likely choice.

The neck badges are more clear in this scan but I still can't make out what there supposed to be. Thanks again for all the help you've all given me, I've learned so much already!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 04:33 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,412879.0.html The 48th Highlanders is looking for photos fr their museum. The attestation papers aren't the only information available at LAC.
 Once you have all that information you can send for the actual service files on the person, no battle history, but medical, may contain some family info , etc...can be quite extensive depending on the duration of service...( 25 to 100 pages )  http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-130-e.html?PHPSESSID=ibvo1sj58knc07tebnj63k7fr4#g

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com